Did I bottle too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
My Hefeweizen started at 1.066 and ended at 1.014. I fermented at 61F for 10 days and went straight to the bottles. I used 4oz of corn sugar for priming 5 gallons of beer. They sat at room temperate (68-70F) after bottling.

Because I had a good feeling about this beer I could not resist to drink one three days after bottling. This was a bittersweet moment because while it tasted amazing, it was way too soon for it to be carb'd up and ready. After one week it has lost most of its flavor and clove aroma and its aggressive on the carbonation end. Another two weeks on the shelf and I am worried about bottle bombs.

So, my brewing friends, can you answer my following questions?

- Did I bottle too soon?
- Should I have transfered to a secondary at 61F for another week to finish at a lower FG?
- Too much priming sugar?
- Are the bottles sitting at too high of a room temperature?
- Would you say that higher carbonation can lead to less taste and aroma?

Thanks!

1.066 to 1.014 is about 77% attenuation which is probably about right. Usually we like to say measure for 3 days and if the gravity doesn't change you are ok. Some folks like to give it a few extra days after that. I like to go a week. Of course most everything I do is in terms of weeks because I like to do the beg efforts on the weekends.

As far as temps go you are all good.
The priming sugar amount was fine. It is less than some would use but I think about right.

You really won't know how it tastes for a couple more weeks. Heffes are often a bit high on the carbonation though so that should not be a problem.

Relax, sounds like it came out good.

does not sound like too much priming sugar and you FG really was not too high, I do not think you will have bottle bombs.

The higher the temperature the quicker the beer will carbonate, but that does not mean the CO2 is completely in solution. Give the beer a few days in the fridge before drinking.

Higher carbonation can lead to less flavor, pop a bottle pour in a glass let it sit for a few minutes then give it a taste. The best advise would be to give it some time

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Priming Solutions

Latest posts

Back