Did I add too much sugar??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8upbrad

Reaction score
I made a 5 gal batch of ipa. 1 week ago today I bottled it. I bottled 44 beers. I mixed 2 cups of corn sugar in 2 cups of boiling water and added that to my bottling bucket. Today I checked on the beer an noticed there already quite carbonated, but about 15 bottles were fizzing. Most of my bottles were screw tops.. Did I overcarbonate or not cap well??, too much sugar??.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

General rule of thumb is 2/3 - 3/4 cup of corn sugar in 2 cups of water for a 5 gallon batch usually

I normally do 3/4 cup of sugar in a cup of water for my 5 gal. batches. 2 cups of sugar is a little much.

Oh, my goodness, yes that is far too much sugar.

I'd uncap them to relieve the pressure and then maybe even dump them back into a fermenter before recapping. You've got a roughly 99.9% chance of explosions.

At the risk of oxidation, pour the beers into a bucket and let the sugar burn off. Then when you are ready to bottle, use one of the above mentioned calculators.
I use 0.7 oz priming sugar per gallon, and I get plenty of carbonation for my liking, but it is more like an English Ale's carbonation. 4.5 oz of priming sugar is a very common amount for 5 gallons and most use it that formula to get that"store bought" kind of carbonation like commercially brewed beers.

Side note, you will never get a good seal using screw type bottles. You need to be using pry off bottles if you are using non-screw caps and a normal homebrew capper. This might be saving you some bottle bombs, though, if it is fizzing out due to the improper seal.

Okay ive got the opposite question... Ive design an apple pie extract recipe, turned out delicious! However, its basically uncarbinated. Its been sitting in bottles for three weeks now. I used 2/3 cup of pure cane sugar for a five gallon batch. I dissolved it into two cups of water prior to mixing into the beer..... will it eventually carbonate, or am I s.o.l.

Back