Did a dry (wet) run on new AG rig...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugster

Well-Known, Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I did a dry(wet) run on my AG equipment yesterday to see how well everything worked and have a few questions bouncing around in the hollowed halls of my mind...here's what I did and what I've got:

10g round Igloo MLT w/Braid & a 5g round Igloo HLT

By the way I did not have any grain in either cooler, just water and had a digital thermometer. Plus the temp in my garage was somewhere in the 60's.

I put 4 gallons of 180*f water in the 10g MLT...by the time I got the water from the stove to the cooler in the garage (why I didn't bring in the cooler inside is beyond me?) :confused: the temp dropped to 174*f, plus I did not preheat the MLT. OK...I then let it sit in the cooler for 1 hour excatly. By that time the temp dropped to 166*f

Without any grain in the MLT, does this big of a temp drop seem to be normal? Would the temp be more stable if I did have grain in the MLT? Does the large amount of empty space in the cooler effect temp? Plus...my MLT cooler is old...don't know if this would even matter but just wanted ya to know.

I did the same in the 5g cooler (which is new) and the temp went from 162*f to about 158*f ~ 155*f. The reason for the 2 low temps is because I had started drinking for the Cardnials game and wasn't exactly sure what times I checked those at? :drunk: I may run this test again with this cooler. (trying to see if new vs. old matters)

Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks, Kug :mug:

Your cold MLT proabably soaked up about 8F... so that temp drop isnt bad!!

#1 Rule in AG brewing... PREHEAT YOUR MLT BEFORE YOU STRIKE!

I do this by overshooting my STRIKE temp by 10F... then when the water cools to my strike temp (heats the MLT) I mash in.

I do this by overshooting my STRIKE temp by 10F... then when the water cools to my strike temp (heats the MLT) I mash in.

What's Happnin' Pol...I remembered after the fact about pre-heating my MLT. I am going to try this again by pre-heatin w/180*f water for 10 mins or so and then test again...I hope it proves to hold heat better...cause this was free :ban:

The cooler will take all the heat its going to within the first 5 minutes. So, put 175F water in, close the lid. Come back in 5 minutes, stir and test the temp. Close it for another 60 minutes. It's the change over the 60 minutes following the initial 5 that is more indicative of a mash temp loss. Even so, grain being in there will help hold a lot of heat.

A small amount (like a gallon) of boiling water works pretty well for preheating a cooler. I just heat it up on my stove. One caveat is that I think the boiling water can cause a small amount of warping which is not particularly problematic with a braid or manifold but if you are considering ever using a false bottom on your round cooler, it might be.

You may want to check that your cooler lid is full of foam, if not you can buy some of that expanding foam and drill a couple holes and fill it up.

I do the same as mentioned and heat my strike water above my mash in temp so the heat my cooler soaks up won't mess me up.

I learned this the hard way when I started doing AG. YMMV, but I heat 15F above my desired mash temp, provided that both the MLT and the grain are at room temp. I lose a few degrees in transferring the water to the MLT then I dough in at 11 or 12 degrees above mash temp and rarely have any problems.

Of course all that goes out the window when it's this cold outside, but I don't think that's a problem for you in AZ. :D

I learned this the hard way when I started doing AG. YMMV, but I heat 15F above my desired mash temp, provided that both the MLT and the grain are at room temp. I lose a few degrees in transferring the water to the MLT then I dough in at 11 or 12 degrees above mash temp and rarely have any problems.

Of course all that goes out the window when it's this cold outside, but I don't think that's a problem for you in AZ. :D

Funny enough it's been in the low 30's at night for the past few weeks but the temp has finally broke and I think the cold is over. It was in the 60's when I did this test.

So only a gallon of hot water will pre-heat the enitre cooler?? I figured I would have to put like 3 or 4 gallons in. When I did my 1st test I just dumpped the water in and put the probe in and forgot about it till it was time to check.

I'm going to try again tonight.

You may want to check that your cooler lid is full of foam, if not you can buy some of that expanding foam and drill a couple holes and fill it up.

I do the same as mentioned and heat my strike water above my mash in temp so the heat my cooler soaks up won't mess me up.

DANGER DANGER....

I know of a fellow HBTer that copied my brewing rig, BUT he filled his lids with some of this foam on his HLT. When he heated up his HLT the foam MELTED and dripped into his water.

Be careful!!!!

DANGER DANGER....

I know of a fellow HBTer that copied my brewing rig, BUT he filled his lids with some of this foam on his HLT. When he heated up his HLT the foam MELTED and dripped into his water.

Be careful!!!!

It actually came out of the lid??? The lid on the 10g seems a bit heavier...seein that it is a bit older (I mean Vintage) they made things better back then. ;)

DANGER DANGER....

Be careful!!!!

Wow thank you for the warning, I didn't even know about that. Maybe making the foam board floating lid I've seen on here is a better idea.

Yeah, I have never filled the lid with foam, I just remember the PM I got from him about a week or so ago! It happened during a brew session too... bummer

Back