Diagnose this sickness, hops doctors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkalberer

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this cascade plant has? First year plant, the upper leaves look pretty healthy with nice sized cones, but this is what the bottom half of the plant looks like, although this is the worst of it. my other two plants look just fine, all in pretty close proximity. Is there any hope for this cascade, or should I dig it up to make sure the other plants stay healthy?

WP_20150904_002[1].jpg

Looks like spider mite damage to me.

I found some info on this site. They say:

Control options vary with the intensity of the infestation. Removal by hand, pulling the leaves off and destroying them, or using a hose to knock them off with water are the least invasive measures. Or, you can use deterrents like pepper sprays or garlic sprays. Planting borders of flowers such as African marigold, nasturtiums and garlic plants will help deter the numbers in the early stages of growth. Organic insecticides such as Pyrethrum, insecticidal soap, nicotine and diatomaceous earth work well if effectively applied. Some success can be derived via the introduction of ladybugs and lacewing predator insects as long as the predators decide to stay on the hops. But if the infestation has gone unchecked, when discovered, using commercial insecticides such as diazinon or malathion sprays may be your only option to try and save the crop.

Thanks, guys. I decided to harvest, the cones on that plant looked pretty damaged upon closer inspection so I just threw the whole thing out. I was planning on giving this crop away on craigslist free anyway, but its great to know I don't have to dig up the roots and toss them.

Back