Diacetyl with Kveik at low fermentation temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gentlemans_Ale

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced increased diacetyl with the Kveik at low fermentation temps?

I just brewed an APA with 2-row, pilsner, and catapils, Omega Yeast’s Hornindal Kveik and Strata hops. Pitched the yeast at 90 F and fermented at room temp so it fell to 72 F after about 30 hours. It stayed 70-72 for the rest of the fermentation except when I dry hopped with 4 oz. of Strata after a week and a half and put it in my fermentation chamber to get it up to 85 for a day or so. It attenuated well and final gravity was 1.011. Equipment was cleaned and sanitized well. It’s all carbed up and keg is tapped and I’m getting a slick, oily mouthfeel but no butter aroma or taste...but I have failed to pick up the movie popcorn butter character of diacetyl in off-flavor demonstrations. There are no other off-flavors and beside the mouthfeel, it is a really good, dank, pale ale. I don’t think I have an infection. I’ve never had a diacetyl problem in the past so this is puzzling me.

If it is diacetyl, is it too late to warm up the beer and try another diacetyl rest? I’m pretty sure I have some residual yeast in suspension.

Thanks!

I’ve been experimenting with a few kveik strains. When I get weird results, it’s when I have large ferm temp fluctuations. My best results have been when I keep the fermenter around the same temp as the pitch temp for the first 2 or 3 days. Next time, I’d pitch at 95 and use a heating pad to keep it at that temp.

I’ve been experimenting with a few kveik strains. When I get weird results, it’s when I have large ferm temp fluctuations. My best results have been when I keep the fermenter around the same temp as the pitch temp for the first 2 or 3 days. Next time, I’d pitch at 95 and use a heating pad to keep it at that temp.
Informative, thanks!

Thanks, I had a very tard Kveik, pitched at 100f (37c) but let it than cool down to room temp because of the lack of heating possibilities..... maybe this is the reason for the tardness!

Gotta keep it consistent, temp wise!
I’ve ran it at 74 solid for 6 days and it was super clean!! Like almost to clean (at least for my liking) I enjoy this yeast at 85+ but when you hit the hundreds it’s a superstar!

I can't speak for Hornindal, but the two beers I brewed with TYB's Voss Kveik both had that strange mouthfeel that the OP described. I think it might just be a characteristic of some of these kveik yeasts. In my case, I pitched the yeast around 100F, but I could only keep them in the mid-80s after that. I'm fermenting a batch with Hornindal right now, and I intentionally pitched a bit lower at 80F but then just set it in a 70-degree room. The temperature hung out around 76F for a while, and the yeast seemed really sluggish for a couple days. Then it just took off around 74F and finished up. I hope this works out OK. I was just tired of trying to keep something up in the 90s.

I can't speak for Hornindal, but the two beers I brewed with TYB's Voss Kveik both had that strange mouthfeel that the OP described. I think it might just be a characteristic of some of these kveik yeasts. In my case, I pitched the yeast around 100F, but I could only keep them in the mid-80s after that. I'm fermenting a batch with Hornindal right now, and I intentionally pitched a bit lower at 80F but then just set it in a 70-degree room. The temperature hung out around 76F for a while, and the yeast seemed really sluggish for a couple days. Then it just took off around 74F and finished up. I hope this works out OK. I was just tired of trying to keep something up in the 90s.
Hi, I know I’m late to this, but how did this one turn out? I have the exact same situation, pitched at 80f, put a blanket over the fermenter, it bubbled hard for a full 24 hours, then slowed as it cooled to 70. Nothing happening on day 3-4 so I’m warming it back up now

Hi, I know I’m late to this, but how did this one turn out? I have the exact same situation, pitched at 80f, put a blanket over the fermenter, it bubbled hard for a full 24 hours, then slowed as it cooled to 70. Nothing happening on day 3-4 so I’m warming it back up now
Well, I actually put a brew belt on it, and warmed it up to 78-80F and left it like that until I bottled which was about 10 days after brewing. I'm honestly not sure that it needed to be warmed up, but I didn't take any gravity readings along the way to make sure. I ended up getting 85% AA (from 1.048 to 1.007). It smelled amazing when I bottled three days ago. I should say that this is a fairly hoppy beer with 3 ounces at flame-out and a 3-ounce dry-hop in a 3.5-gallon batch. I used Mosaic, Huell Melon and Cashmere. I doubt I'll be able to pick up the esters through all those hops, but I'm OK with that.

I was trying for a hoppy pale ale, pitched at a controlled 78 for 3 days, smells and taste like a lager.... maybe next time pitch at 95 to get the better hoppy smell?

I was trying for a hoppy pale ale, pitched at a controlled 78 for 3 days, smells and taste like a lager.... maybe next time pitch at 95 to get the better hoppy smell?
Yeah, ferment at 95F (don't let it drop) and allow free rise.
"Hoppy" isn't the right word. Hornindal tastes like pineapple and mango.

Hop flavor/aroma comes from the hops: the later boil additions, whirlpool, dry hopping, etc.

Back