DH doesn't like the smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieGator

Reaction score
Oh, Goddess help me!

DH has been commenting about the smell of the wort for the last three batches of brew I have been making. I was brewing a batch this evening and he commented that the wort "smelled like an old rotten tennis shoe". So, the new batch has been renamed to Old Rotten Tennis Shoe. In another 6 - 8 weeks, HWMBO will get to sample Old Rotten Tennis Shoe and "drink his words", LOL!

For folks with SWMBO, how do you get your spouse used to the brew smell? I think it is absolutely heavenly and I am letting my sense of smell guide my beginning brewing efforts.

Also, I noticed a thread earlier in the forum about the OG determining the aging. My latest brew had an OG of 1.044 (after mixing with my lees stirrer before pitching the yeast). I am planning to let it sit in primary for 3 weeks then test it for 2 - 3 days to make sure I have reached a steady final gravity before bottling and letting it sit for 3 weeks at a temp of 74F in bottles. Would it be OK to assume it will be OK to drink at a 6 week aging or should I let it go for a while longer? The brew is a blonde ale with an estimated FG of 1.008 - 1.010.

Thanks for all of the info!

I am not very experienced, but from what I've brewed and read, that should be more than enough time for your brew to be thoroughly enjoyable. My first beer had an OG of 1.043 and it was already long gone by the time you're planning on cracking it open. My girlfriend is certainly not SWMBO, and as such she is very apt to allow me to have hobbies that don't appeal to her (of course, drinking my hobby does appeal to her). My housemates loved the smell of brewing beer, so I would just go with the "drink his words" plan for now! :mug:

I did a california common pale ale and it smelled like bread. Dont know what you could do to change his opinion about the smell.

My SWMBO thought my first brew smelled like soy sauce, and it was a Marzen. Luckily she doesn't mind too much and actually is really getting into helping me. I think she likes to see me have a hobby that I really enjoy.

As far as your fermenting time, that should plenty of time for your beer to ferment as long as you keep the temp around 68-70*. Truthfully it should be done by around 10 days or even less, but the extra time won't hurt it. I would suggest checking the FG after 10 days and if it is at or near your expected FG then check it over the next couple days. If it stays constant then bottle it, or rack it to a secondary if you want to clear it up before bottling.

HWMO doesn't hate it, but he doesn't like the smell either. My kids (older teenagers) hate it. As in, "OMG it stinks in this house- I can't breathe" kind of comments. My fix has just been to brew when no one is home, and in the summer when I do 10 gallon batches, I'll do it outside. HWMO doesn't complain about it any more, since he drinks quite a bit of the beer and loves the beer.

6 weeks should be plenty of time for a blonde ale. They mature pretty quickly, and taste fine when young. Sounds like a nice springtime beer! :mug:

HWMO doesn't hate it, but he doesn't like the smell either. My kids (older teenagers) hate it. As in, "OMG it stinks in this house- I can't breathe" kind of comments. My fix has just been to brew when no one is home, and in the summer when I do 10 gallon batches, I'll do it outside. HWMO doesn't complain about it any more, since he drinks quite a bit of the beer and loves the beer.

6 weeks should be plenty of time for a blonde ale. They mature pretty quickly, and taste fine when young. Sounds like a nice springtime beer! :mug:

Sounds like they need something to cry about ;)
I would brew a 10 gallon batch of this in the house.

Whats DH? You're not calling your husband a D%$#Head are ya? lol No seriously... what is that? Da Husband? Dynamic Hubby? Dogfish Head?

Brew up a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein and let it ferment in the kitchen for a month. No one will complain about beer wort smell after that.

Whats DH? You're not calling your husband a D%$#Head are ya? lol No seriously... what is that? Da Husband? Dynamic Hubby? Dogfish Head?

Seen this on other forums means Dear Husband.
I prefer HWMBC he who must be controled.

Tell him, baby I know you don't like the smell but it really makes me happy to brew. Since your such a strong handy guy maybe you could build me a nice little brew hut away from the house then we could both be happy. If I had a nice little brew hut I could make lots of tasty brew we could enjoy together. :)

haha i see i see... now if only our wives would be the kind to try to get US to build THEM a beer hut! Now that would be a very nice change. Um oookay honey, I guess so. If you reeeally need one...

My girlfriend loves the smell of the grain and brewing. It reminds her of the smell of the bakery her mom owned when she was little.

Yep, that turkey frier made a great Father's Day present last year. My SWMBO hated the smell as well. Now that I brew outside, she doesn't say a word!

SWMBO hates the smell of brewing but once it time to start drinking, she is always the first one in line.

hmm is this something that is from AG? I have always found the smell to be very sweet and appetizing, as does my wife and anyone else that has been around when I am brewing. Maybe that is because I have only done extract/steeping recipes.

Figured HWMBO = He Who Must Be Ordered :)

I've only brewed while SWMBO is away, when she comes home the kitchen is all cleaned up like nothing happened ;)

Seen this on other forums means Dear Husband.
I prefer HWMBC he who must be controled.

Tell him, baby I know you don't like the smell but it really makes me happy to brew. Since your such a strong handy guy maybe you could build me a nice little brew hut away from the house then we could both be happy. If I had a nice little brew hut I could make lots of tasty brew we could enjoy together. :)

If my wife asked me to build her a brew hut, I would think I finally died and went to heaven. But reality is, she doesn't even drink beer so I'm pretty much screwed and destined to brew alone for enternity.

And no she doesn't care for the smell but has never really complained either so I'll give her that. My kids on the other hand think it's disgusting. I have begun brewing outside because of that and because I like it better outside anyway.

Dennis

hmm is this something that is from AG? I have always found the smell to be very sweet and appetizing, as does my wife and anyone else that has been around when I am brewing. Maybe that is because I have only done extract/steeping recipes.

Figured HWMBO = He Who Must Be Ordered :)

AG has the same smells but also for longer.

Boiling wort smells great. Better than the stuff the SWMBOs put in a little bag and put it in your underwear drawer. Maybe someone could invent sachet bags with different brew smells in them. Mine would be something with stout in the name.

I brew when the SWMBO is out so I don't have an issue. Just picked up everything to brew outside so don't need to even worry about that anymore.

I also built a ferm chamber in the garage so she doesn't have to smell it fermenting.

Back