Denver Bulk Buy # 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bulk buy is over. The only people allowed to receive grain this weekend for the bulk buy price are those who had placed their orders prior to the April 15 deadline.

We may have another in 6 months or so. I'm not sure how to prevent the problem of people placing orders, confirming them and then not showing up.

I could have been on the hook for $500.00 worth of grain. I am not willing to take that on me.

One person suggested pre-paying with PayPal. I'll run that by Jason. I'm sure the usual 3% surcharge would be in effect.

I did this to help out fellow HBDers on the front range. I don't want to have my good deed punish me.

that's cool dude. I understand. You're last post sort of made it sound like a new person would be able to get in on the 2nd shipment because "he'll honor the bulk price".

Anyway, my old roommates went in on a buy years ago. They said it was the Boulder-Denver grain coop or something. Anyway, now that I'm out of the house and brewing on my own I've been looking for something like this (just found the website, too)

The bulk buy was just for people who pre-ordered before April 15th. As to him honoring the price, that meant he would allow the people who were not able to get to the pre-aranged pick-up point because of the weather to get their grains at the bulk price. He would have been entirely within his rights to charge full price for the grain. Part of the agreement for the BULK Buy was to be there to pick up on a particular date. The reason we got a good price was because they were able to bring up a large quantity of grain in one trip.

All the grain went back to Alamosa. It will be sold at a full price, now. He is not hurting for business. He has contracts with 10 brewpubs and micro-breweries in Colorado. He is in talks to supply the bulk of the grain to New Belgium and O'Dells. He could not sell to homebrewers at all and it would not hurt his bottom line.

In fact, this bulk buy may have hurt him. At least one, large homebrew shop that sells his grain has asked him not to sell direct to homebrewers.

I am fairly dismayed by the selfishness being shown on the thread. Looking for a technicality to get a cheaper price. After this, and the cavalier fashion in which people blew off the pick up, after placing an order AND confirming it, I am not sure I want to get involved in a bulk buy again.

Most of the persons involved were great to work with. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

chill dude, I get what was going on. I read through the thread. Is it possible that your last post suggested that he's making another trip to the front range and could add on another 100#s or so for someone who wasn't in on the first bulk buy? That's how I interpreted it. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, as this is an irregular event and it might be a while before it happens again.

Also, as Blackguard suggested, my inquiry could also help buy up some of the grain that was never picked up. Don't get pissed at me for simply asking a question that would potentially help out everyone else involved. A real welcoming community here...

(by the way, I'm from Alamosa and could easily pick it up when visiting my grandparents, so don't treat me like some punk kid)

We need to find some way to pay Jason up front, before he makes a trip up here. Wayne is right on - CMC and Jason do not need us. Part of their incentive to work with us is building a market for the product, at which point I expect them to deliver only to our LHBS and stop the bulk buys and individual deliveries. So, as long as CMC is willing to work with us, we need to make it as easy, profitable, and low-risk for them as possible.

Wayne, don't get too worked up. Those of us who have dealt with CMC know the situation and really appreciate your time and effort on our behalf.

Wayne,

I am sorry about all the troubles you had with this bulk buy after all the work you put in to confirm everyone’s order. It is a shame that more people did not call and update you if they could not make the pick up for what ever reason. I do want to say thank you for helping out Mike and I out by waiting like you did. I will say a cheers to you with my first glass of CMC made beer. :mug: Your hard work was appreciated!

Thanks again!

The last of the bulk buy was picked up today.

I did talk to Jason about future buys. We both agreed all grain needs to be paid for in advance.

Jason is willing to accept checks mailed to him. He is also able to accept credit cards, but will have to charge back his processing fees in order to give us the big discounts he has been doing.

He also said he may be making some crystal malt in the next week or so.

My feeling right now is to give it a rest for a few weeks. I do want to buy some specialty malts from CMC when they become available. I might be persuaded to help organize another group buy. It will be set up a bit different than the last one.

If you commit to the buy, you will have to pay for your grain in advance. When the grain arrives in Denver, you will give your name to Jason at the site, you name and order will be matched and you will take your grain and leave.

If you cannot make it to the site on the specified day, so sorry. You will forfeit your payment and the grain will be divided up between the people who do show up.

I do understand that life happens. There may be a reason that you may not be able to make the pick-up. If you notify either Jason or the coordinator, something may be able to be worked out.

That is enough on this issue.

Enjoy the grain and I hope at some point to be able to sample some of your efforts with the CMC grains.

I know that I really appreciate the opportunity to get some really great grain, for a really great price. My thanks to Jason, as well as Wayne1 for organizing it, and waiting for me to arrive.

Paying in advance wouldn't be an issue either.

Thanks a bunch guys!

FWIW, I live in near Park Meadows and would be able to help with a future bulk buy if it happens. I would have gotten in on this one but I wasn't going to be around for the pick up date so I had to pass.

Wayne-

I want to echo the thanks others have posted. It was amazing, especially as a newcomer to the area, to get in on some great grain so easily.

PVH

It is apparent that the community is grateful to both Wayne1 and jason. I would like to be in on any future buys, and would also prepay to the vendor beforehand.

Prepay is a great plan. And I will be in for another buy when the time comes, assuming I have gotten mostly through what I bought this time. Im interested to see how the Roasted purple barley works out, I havent been able to brew yet but hopefully this weekend.

Wayne, I appreciate the effort you put into this, I cant imagine how much of a pain this was to set up and how much time it must have taken to talk to everyone individually.

Hey Front Range Brewers......anybody have a sack or two from this past buy they would like to part with because they haven't brewed as much as they thought? Looking for someone in the downtown or tech center are for delivery

Thanks-

I'm doing fine with pale, pils and wheat. I would be very interested in specialty malts if they can produce any. Specifically crystal, Munich and Vienna

Bump, not much interest at this time.....if we cant at least get over 1000 lbs, I doubt if it's worth it. I paid $59 for a sack of CMC 2 row at the Brewhut....thats the last time I do that.....but I was desperate.

I'm doing fine with pale, pils and wheat. I would be very interested in specialty malts if they can produce any. Specifically crystal, Munich and Vienna

According to their website:
Due to high volume orders we are temporarily unable to produce
specialty malts. Sorry for the inconvenience, please keep checking in for
future updates.

Thank you,
Colorado Malting Company

Seems like there is interest in around 500-600Lbs currently, i have lost the Email from them, but I know there is a price break at 1000lbs.

I think we should prepay direct to the company this time though, and they WILL ship if you cant make the pickup.

BB-

Would agree w the prepayment, and I have let Jason know that. And yes they will ship, for the UPS rate, which is as much as the grain last I checked. So for me, this wouldn't be an option.

Bump, not much interest at this time.....if we cant at least get over 1000 lbs, I doubt if it's worth it. I paid $59 for a sack of CMC 2 row at the Brewhut....thats the last time I do that.....but I was desperate.

I'm surprised you're not getting more responses. Seems like it should be really easy to get over the 1000 lb mark. I'd be in for 150.

Hopefully everyone is subscribed, can everyone post in raw numbers how much they want? This way we can get a count and see how close we are, I had great luck with their malt and would much rather by from CMC and keep the money in state.

Id take 100Lbs Pale.

My assumption is that it will cost a bunch to ship a pallet of grain. Again, I will not be involved in this buy if that is the case.

Confirmed that it is shipment only....they stopped delivering (to homebrewers anyway) once they had enough of a customer base and can't keep up w demand.

Well that sucks, I have a truck large enough to pick up a pallet, but by the time I factor in fuel I could get 3 sacks at the LHBS. It sounds like unless we have a huge order this idea is out the window.

Never emailed Jason back after he told me they had bigger clients to take care of, then randomly got this email this morning, so either they really had a change of heart or business is slow. Not sure how I feel about buying from them at this point. What say you?:

Chris,

I spoke with my partners and we decided to make an exception for your group. If you'd like to place and order we'll bring it to you like we have in the past. Sorry I have been slow in my correspondence. Thanks!

$0.60 per lb on orders over 1000 lbs (plus a shipping fee which will be minimal)

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jason K. Cody

President
Owner/Co-founder

Back