Could you tell me the best recipe of Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jun77

Reaction score
Hi Im Japanese home brewer and right now Im thinking of making a new recipe of Witbier but Im wondering whether I should add rice hulls to prevent a stuck mash as I will use flaked oats and wheat. If it so how much rice hulls should I use ? And which recipe is the best ? (Acutually I don’t have belgian pilsner(2 Row),belgian pilsen, belgian wheat malt, belgian aromatic malt, belgian 2-Row pilsner malt so Is there someone who knows alternatives ingredients of them ?) and how can I go up mash efficiency ?
Jun Kagei

Style: Witbier Ver 1
Recipe Type All Grain
Boiling Time(minutes) 90min
Batch Size (L) 10
Mash efficiency (%) 75
Est OG 1.050
Attenuation (%) 86 (wheat yeast WB-06)
Est FG 1.007
Est ABV (%) 5.6
SRM ?
Mash Profile Single Infusion, Medium Body, (No Mash out?)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp) 7days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp) 7days

Ingredients(g)
north America pale malt 950
wheat malt 950
flaked wheat 194
flaked oats 65
coriander(15min) 6
orange peel(15min) 12
irish moss 0.5
gypsum 0.5
Total grain 2159

Hops(g)     
cascade 5.6
cascade 3..0
Total IBUs 11.1

Style: Witbier Ver 2
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size (L) 10
Mash efficiency (%) 75
Est OG 1.050
Est FG 1.007
Est ABV (%) 5.6
SRM ?

Ingredients(g)
belgian wheat malt 960
flaked wheat 640
belgian aromatic malt 159
flaked oats 80
belgian 2-Row pilsner malt 320
cracked coriander(15min) 3.7
cracked coriander(5min) 3.7
bitter orange peel(15min) 7.35
bitter orange peel(5min) 7.35
irish moss 0.5
gypsum 0.5
Total grain 2159

Hops(g)     
kent goldings(bitering) 14.8
kent goldings(flavoring) 3.7
saaz(aroma) 3.7
Total IBUs 19.8

Style: Witbier Ver 3
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size (L) 10
Mash efficiency (%) 75
Est OG 1.050
Est FG 1.007
Est ABV (%) 5.6
SRM ?

Ingredients(g)
belgian pilsner(2 Row) 1000
white wheat malt 632
flaked wheat 527
orange peel(15min) 14.7
coriander crushed(15min)7.4
irish moss 0.5
gypsum 0.5
Total grain 2159

Hops(g)     
cascade 14.8
cascade 3..7
Total IBUs 26.1

Style: Witbier Ver 4
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size (L) 10
Mash efficiency (%) 75
Est OG 1.050
Est FG 1.007
Est ABV (%) 5.6
SRM ?

Ingredients(g)
belgian pilsen 785
white wheat malt 785
flaked barley 196
rice hulls 196
flaked white wheat 196
orange peel(5min) 14.7
coriander crushed(5min)7.4
irish moss 0.5
gypsum 0.5
Total grain 2158

Hops(g)     
saaz 40
Total IBUs 20.3

Version 1 is the best recipe. For rice hulls, it is a good idea to use 250 g in the mash. The yeast is wrong. Try a cleaner yeast like K-97 or US-05. Other than that it looks like a great recipe. For the best efficiency, crush the grains well. If you have your own mill, set the gap a little tighter than the factory recommends. The thickness of a common credit card is about right, or even a little tighter. Do not mill the rice hulls, but add them after the milling is complete, as they will help compensate for the lack of volume of the crushed grains.

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy!

I made a witbier very similar to your version 1 recipe. I used WB-06 too. Was a great beer. I would go with that recipe.

If you're going for a Blue Moon style wit, maybe change the yeast but I hate Blue Moon and WB-06 is made for this style and is head and shoulders above the profile you would get from a US-05. I use that for my pale ales and IPAs because I don't any flavor contribution from the yeast. The whole point of the witbier style is the great flavor the yeast adds, IMO.

Witbiers are characterized by the use of at least 50% wheat, with the main charge coming from (raw) Flaked Wheat. It all depends how close you want to get to traditional.

Version 2 is probably the closest to an original Witbier, except for the Aromatic malt, which surely won't hurt it, but is not traditional. I've brewed sumptuous double decocted Witbiers, and the aromatic malt can mimic some of that malty flavor and aroma. A little (2-3%) goes a long way, 7% is pretty high.

Version 4 is good too, but uses more wheat malt than (raw) wheat flakes.

Any recipe that uses American hops (e.g., Cascade) is not a Belgian Wit. Tettnanger, Saaz, East Kent Goldings, even Styrian Goldings are all very complimentary to the style.

Have you looked in the recipe section? There are a few good ones there too, for example: Hoegaarden/Celis Wit is great to brew and drink, and good for inspiration too.

Regarding the use of rice hulls, it would be good to have some on hand in case your lauter is very slow or gets stuck.
In the last few Wit/Wheat Beers I've used a combined beta glucanase/protein rest at 121F for 20' and had no trouble lautering without using any hulls. And my grist is really fine.

Make sure to mill your wheat malt on a very narrow gap, since the kernels are much smaller (and harder) than barley. Mill your flakes too on the same narrow gap for faster conversion. I've seen people walk away from the brewstore with bags of crushed malt containing lots of uncracked wheat (or rye) kernels. That's a waste of good malt, and their beer flavor will suffer from it.

As mentioned above, it's lot about the yeast too, so a Witbier/Wheat Beer yeast is the only one that's appropriate. I've used WYeast 3944 a lot and love the flavor it gives. Other labs produce similar versions. I can't speak for WB-06 but have read good reports about it.

Last edited:
Many good wit beer recipes on this forum if you search:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumd...une=-1&prefixid=Witbier&order=desc&sort=views

Whichever recipe you choose just remember to keep the hop impact low ie low IBUs, low flavor and low aroma character.

If you want to up your mash efficiency you could include a sparge step, mash longer, do a decoction (not for wit beers though) and/or control your mash PH.

A protein rest at 122 F killed the body and head retention of my witbier. I am very much against protein rests in the 21st century.

My favorite yeast is actually WLP400, but I've been meaning to try the new WLP410.

Latest posts

Back