Denver Bulk Buy # 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had an interesting E-mail from Jason. He has recently brought a drum roaster on-line. He is willing to make us some roasted malts if we would be interested.

He can offer Roasted Barley, Roasted Malt, Roasted Wheat and Roasted hulless barley. All of these would be $1.00 a pound for something very custom and unique.

He is also willing to run through a batch of specialty malt. He noted that while his specialty tank will be busy with a custom batch for New Belgium, he should be able to run something through for us by April 27th.

My suggestion was a crystal malt in the 40-60L range. What would you all like?

No idea on pricing yet, I guess we would have to see how much interest and what quantity we would like.

Please post your thoughts in this thread.

Thanks,
Wayne

Please count me in for 100# Pale and 100# Pilsner, both unmilled.

Crystal 40L would be my preference, but I'd take 60L. Could Jason package it in less than 50# bags?

WoW guys way to support our CO growers. I'm unfortunatly out for this GB I'm still slowely working through my last order. Haven't had much time to brew since Nov and currently remodeling my house hasn't helped any.

That's an incredible order and if we continue to be this organized Jason will be more then willing to satisfy our needs.

Crystal 40L would be my preference, but I'd take 60L. Could Jason package it in less than 50# bags?

I have that exact question into him right now. I think they presently offer a 5 pound option from their website.

I might be able to use single pound quantities of roasted grains. 10-20 lbs each of various caramel grains are more in line with my needs. I use a lot of 20-60L caramels.

Jason has just sent an email asking if the delivery could be moved up a week to 10 days.

Would it work with all of you if the delivery date was changed to Wednesday, April 21st or Friday April 23rd?

Which date would work better for you?

Thanks,
Wayne

Wednesday the 21st would be best as i have that Wednesday off and it would be really easy for me to make it down to Denver from Ft Collins. I may be able to do Friday as well depending on how late we can pick up.

Chromados

I can't make either day, but if someone in Denver wouldn't mind picking up for me, I can pay Wayne in advance and grab the grain when I return the next Monday. Please?

I can't make either day, but if someone in Denver wouldn't mind picking up for me, I can pay Wayne in advance and grab the grain when I return the next Monday. Please?

I can pick it up for you. I'll PM you with more info.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have heard from 15 of the 27 people who have requested grain.

If you have not sent me contact information (E-mail and cell phone #) please do so.

There is a slight preference towards Friday the 23rd, but I would like to wait to hear from the rest of the group.

Jason sent me another e-mail this morning stating he has 50 lbs of Roasted Barley (light roast) ready to go. Price is $1.00 per pound. He will get us the degrees L. later Anyone interested?

I would like one bag of pale.

I would also be interested in some roast barley and/or dehusked raost malt.

Anyone have experience with their wheat malt?

I would also be interested in something between Brown and Pale Chocolate malt if they have any.

I'll PM my info.

Thanks for organizing this.

Tom

Tom,

I have not personally used their wheat, but DurangoHomebrewMafia recently placed 3rd in a homebrew competition with his wheat beer made from CMC wheat and barley.

I can't get there in the afternoon.

Would anyone be willing to pick up my bag and I can pick it up that evening or on the weekend?

TIA, Tom

Here is the latest on the bulk buy:

Jason estimates he will be at Park Meadows at roughly 1:00 PM. The date is looking more like Friday the 23rd.

He will also have some Toasted and Roasted Malts available for order. He can package the roasted malts in 1, 5, 10, or 50 pound amounts.

The price will be $1.25 a pound, not $1.00 a pound as I mistakenly mentioned earlier in this thread.

What can be ordered is:

Toasted Colo. Base Malt (color number coming shortly)
Toasted White Wheat Malt
Toasted Red Wheat Malt

Roasted Barley (Medium @ 200-300 L and Dark @ 400-500 L)

Roasted Colo. Base Malt (Medium @ 200-300 L and Dark @ 400-500 L)

Roasted White Wheat (Medium @ 200-300 L and Dark @ 400-500 L)

Roasted Red Wheat (Medium @ 200-300 L and Dark @ 400-500 L)

Roasted Hulless Barley (Medium @ 200-300 L and Dark @ 400-500 L)

Roasted Purple Hulless Barley (Medium @ 200-300 L and Dark @ 400-500 L)

He is also willing to do a made to order roast with 7 days notice.

I am thinking of getting a few pounds of the toasted pale and wheat. Maybe the medium roasted pale and wheat, as well. I do not believe anyone has had a chance to use these malts yet. This could be a great opportunity to craft some very unique brews.

Tell me more about the purple barley.

Are the hull-less barleys malted?

I don't know anything about the purple barley.

I am just trying to organize the group buy. I do not work for or know anything more about the grains form Colorado Malting Company.

I have used the pale malt for the past year and think it is fantastic.

For the folks that are out of town and/or working during the pick up time, please post here to see if someone else can help you out.

We are looking at 1:00 PM Friday the 23rd for getting the grain. We might be able to hang out for an hour afterwards. This is a group buy taking place in a parking lot. If you cannot be there for the pick-up, please try to make arrangements through this thread with someone near you to get your grain for you. I am not able to front any money or store grain for anyone.

If for any reason you are not able to make the pick-up time or make arrangements for someone to get your grain for you, please let me know asap.

Thanks,

Wayne

I'm interested in 10# of the Dark (400-500L) Roasted Barley.

Is there still any talk of doing something like 40-60 Crystal?

Also, I can pick up/store thru the weekend grain for people on the W side of Denver (I'm off C-470 and Hwy 285), but can't front the $. I'm new here, so if my PM gets full I can also be reached at SailCO26 at Yahoo dot com.

I don't think Jason is quite up to making any crystal malts at this time. Perhaps for the next group buy.

SailCO26,
Thanks for volunteering to store grain for some of the group that can't make it to the pick-up.

A check can be mailed to me made out to Colorado Malting Company for your purchase. I can hand that over to Jason, if it comes down to it. I would prefer not to get involved with the money, but I am willing to do a bit more to help some people out. If you want any of the toasted/roasted grain, that would involve another check made out to a different company. PM me for details.

We hit the $.49 a pound threshhold? If so I'll take another sack of pale.

Anyone in the Fort Collins/Loveland/Greeley area willing to pick up my bags as i will not be able to make it down to Denver that early on Friday? Let me know if you can help me out and i can have it already paid for.

Thanks
Chromados

Thanks for organizing this, Wayne! Can you mark me down for 1 bag of Pale, please? I may get more later, but one for now should do. Thanks!

Are you still taking orders for this buy? Also would anyone happen to be driving up to the glenwood/rifle area after the buy that I could organize a pick up with?

I will continue to accept orders through April 15. That will be the cut off date. I will then get in touch with all who placed orders to verify their order and to make sure they will be able to be at Park Meadows at 1 PM Friday April 23rd to pay for and pick up their order.

I will not be able to wait in the parking lot for people to get off work to pick up orders. I am judging the first round of the NHC at Breckenridge Brewery later that day.

If you are not able to be at Park Meadows at that time, please get it touch with someone who can be there. If you cannot, please get in touch with me to cancel your order.

Thanks,
Wayne

One more day to get your orders in for the Denver Bulk Buy of Colorado Malting Company's grains.

Prices are $0.49 lb for pale and pilsner malted barley. This is TOP quality, small batch malt. Many who have used it have won awards in competition.
White and Red malted wheat are also available for $0.75 lb.

The malt analysis for these malts can be found here

Various types of toasted and roasted grains are also available for $1.25 lb. More information on those grains here

We are currently at 5450 lbs. I will be sending out e-mails to all that have given me their information to confirm their order and to verify that someone will be at the Park Meadows Red Robin parking lot at 1PM on Friday April 23rd. If I do not hear back from anyone, their order will not go in.

I do not have any contact information from dbowdit16. I will try PM but if I cannot get a confirmation, the order will not go in. I am not willing to pay for grain that someone else has ordered and then either changed their mind or cannot make the pick-up. This is a VERY good price on world class malt.

If you wish to change your order, please get in touch with me within the next day or so. I will place the orders on Monday the 19th or sooner, if I have heard back from all. We have 34 people that have placed orders through this thread. Hopefully we will have the same number getting grain next Friday.

I did receive a question about tipping out the delivery man. As I believe Jason, the owner, will be making the delivery, I don't feel any tip is needed. However I know he does appreciate a good brew. If you have any spare homebrew, especially made with CMC grains, I think it would be a nice gesture to gift him with some.

Latest posts

Back