Denver Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpeters45

Timber Chum
Reaction score
Hello there! My family and I are headed to Colorado this summer and planning to stay a night in Denver (we're from the Kansas City area).I'm looking for a couple of breweries to check out and the list on-line is overwhelming. Any suggestions for 2-3 breweries to check out while we're there?

Cheers! :mug:

Great Divide was good, but the tasting room is very small and was jam packed when we were there. We preferred Wynkoop, with it's pretty massive serving area (and outdoor patio).

Former Future is just Black Project now and focus 100% on spontaneous beers. All amazing but if not into sour would not be my recommendation as the clean side is gone for the most part except a few IPAs here and there.

Kpeters45, what type of beer do you prefer? Are you bringing the fam to the breweries? Happy to give some recommendations but would need some guidance. There are a lot of breweries here and pretty much every style.

Cerebal Brewing, Odd13 is north of Denver but worth it, TRVE...a couple more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Lost Highway on Colfax down by the capitol is great. Also, if you go west about fifty minutes west of Denver, go to Tommyknocker in Idaho Springs.

Former Future is just Black Project now and focus 100% on spontaneous beers. All amazing but if not into sour would not be my recommendation as the clean side is gone for the most part except a few IPAs here and there.

Kpeters45, what type of beer do you prefer? Are you bringing the fam to the breweries? Happy to give some recommendations but would need some guidance. There are a lot of breweries here and pretty much every style.
Thank you all for the help. My wife is gluten free so any gluten free stops would be awesome. I don't have a strong preference for any particular style beer myself. I'm a rookie in the homebrew world and fairly new to craft beer in general, so still exploring my taste buds

Good call, didn't think about that. I love everything sour and spontaneous and sometimes I forget not everyone does!

The River North (RiNo) area has a bunch of breweries that are all within walking/short driving distance. My brother's friends own Ratio Beerworks down there and it is a pretty cool spot. Big open space with plenty of seating and an outdoor patio, plus they have a food truck outside every night. There are a bunch of restaurants in that area too if you aren't in the mood for food truck style food.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there are a couple gluten free breweries in Denver. Holidaily and Brewery Rickoli. I've never tried them, though, so I can't comment on how good they are.

I second the Great Divide. Not sure if they serve anything gluten free but they are masters of many styles IMHO. As mentioned before, the site isn't all that impressive, but the beers are spectacular. Please let me know if you end up visiting their brewery. Enjoy your stay in Denver.

I recommend River North Brewery. Ironically, no longer in the River North neighborhood but a bit further north. They have a nice variety of really good beers, though they're best at big and barrel aged stuff.

Cannonball Creek in Golden,they've done nothing but win medals since opening 4 years ago. Holidaily (gluten free brewery) is half mile away.

Comrade brewing - Denver
Station 26 - Denver
Prost (german lagers) - Denver
RiNo (district) - Denver north Crooked stave,Great divide across the street
Epic - Denver

A bit out of town but still Denver is Hogs head, english and cask ales.

For hoppy beers Cannonball and Comrade are the 2 top breweries in the state,they both
also brew award winners across board,pretty much anything both breweries serve is very good.

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the input. This will help me decide what part of Denver to book our hotel in! We will definitely try out the gluten free brewery, as there are none that I'm aware of around our KC area. My wife loves great beer, but they have been few and far between since she developed her gluten allergy. Thanks again guys!

I was there last week and hit 11 breweries, the following are my top picks.

Epic, Crooked stave, and jagged mountain downtown near Coors Field

Great Frontier in Lakewood

Cannonball Creek in Golden has a bourbon barrel aged stout that was awesome.

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the input. This will help me decide what part of Denver to book our hotel in!

Just so you know, if you're planning your summer visit at the end of June-early July the downtown hotels are going to be booked and/or overpriced because that's when and where the Denver Comic-Con is being held.

Cannonball Creek in Golden has a bourbon barrel aged stout that was awesome.

Unfortunately that beer was done just for their anniversary party,It was incredible !!!
Hopefully they brew this again because I can see it putting another medal on their wall.

Did you happen to try the base beer for that, the imperial almond stout ?
I believe they said they used 80lbs of roasted almonds,it was like drinking a dessert .

Back