Delta brewing systems ferm tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staticsouls

When will the beer be free?
Reaction score
https://www.deltabrewingsystems.com/

Nice little 8 gallon fermenter! Anyone have any first hand experience? I have two Chapman fermenters but would love to yeast harvest or trub dump my beers.
Screenshot_20191214-140201_Chrome.jpeg

Their site shows it just became available. Not heard much from them. Are they in Chicago? Website doesn’t provide much on their location or anything.

Seems nice

Nice little 8 gallon fermenter! Anyone have any first hand experience? I have two Chapman fermenters but would love to yeast harvest or trub dump my beers.

In that case you should invest in a true conical. There's no way you're going to be able to dump anything with such a flat bottom (not to mention the ridiculously small and unsanitary ball valve), the bottom valve will only be useful as a drain valve when cleaning/sanitizing.

Valid points, but at $195 it’s more in the Brew Bucket territory. A conical is a big jump from there.

I do like the idea of being able to get it into my ferm fridge too. If I could find a conical that would fit with tc fittings I'd be all over it.

Kinda just thinking I should spring for the cf5 or cf10 now. I can do 10 gal batches but mostly do 5. The cf10 can do both it says, so I don't see any reason not to go big.

That’s a nice piece of kit, I just can’t stomach that price point. Also don’t want to figure out how to cool it.

This thing caught my eye too. In its price point, it looks better that the BrewBucket for the thermowell alone. I know the bottom valve is pretty much worthless for dumping yeast though.

I have a half barrel Chronical BrewMaster Edition and love it. But I actually want to start brewing smaller batches but really want SS. I've almost pulled the trigger on a BrewBucket BE but at that price point I find myself thinking why not go ahead and pony up for a Spike Flex+. But I have a really hard time spending ~$500 for a fermenter for 5G batches. I could buy two of these for that price!

I'd be very interested in any feedback on this new option from Delta Brewing Systems...

I currently use a chapman 7 gallon, and really have no issues with it. I just got a 1.5 tc bulkhead to fit into the top opening. The only things I am missing are yeast collection and pressure fermenting in my head. Chapmans go for about $100.

I currently use a chapman 7 gallon, and really have no issues with it. I just got a 1.5 tc bulkhead to fit into the top opening. The only things I am missing are yeast collection and pressure fermenting in my head. Chapmans go for about $100.

~$160 on their site with a bottom valve. Still no thermowell... I could drill and add one myself but; close but no cigar!

Hey all, just found this thread and I wanted to answer some questions that have been raised here.

First, we are based in Chicago, actually a suburb west of the city. If anyone is in the area and wants to stop by you're more than welcome, just drop me a line so I know to expect you. Our address is on the contact us page.

On the fermenter itself, there are other designs like it, yes. Ours is unique in that it has a thermowell included, we designed the lid to allow for pressure transfers, and will have a pressure transfer kit on our site soon.

We market the bottom port as a clean out port but I, and others, have successfully dumped yeast through it. The 3/4" size is going to be a limitation for heavily dry hopped beers or if the yeast cake gets overly compacted during a cold crash. The best point for dumping is when the yeast starts to settle and flocc out. I will say that it makes cleaning it out very easy, just point and spray a hose down into it.

We are designing a 14 gallon version at the moment and then we will look at the feedback on the 8 gallon and decide if changes need to be made.

Feedback has been positive so far but I am open to any and all opinions/questions.

Mike

Hey all, just found this thread and I wanted to answer some questions that have been raised here.

First, we are based in Chicago, actually a suburb west of the city. If anyone is in the area and wants to stop by you're more than welcome, just drop me a line so I know to expect you. Our address is on the contact us page.

On the fermenter itself, there are other designs like it, yes. Ours is unique in that it has a thermowell included, we designed the lid to allow for pressure transfers, and will have a pressure transfer kit on our site soon.

We market the bottom port as a clean out port but I, and others, have successfully dumped yeast through it. The 3/4" size is going to be a limitation for heavily dry hopped beers or if the yeast cake gets overly compacted during a cold crash. The best point for dumping is when the yeast starts to settle and flocc out. I will say that it makes cleaning it out very easy, just point and spray a hose down into it.

We are designing a 14 gallon version at the moment and then we will look at the feedback on the 8 gallon and decide if changes need to be made.

Feedback has been positive so far but I am open to any and all opinions/questions.

Mike

Thanks for the clarifications Mike. It looks like a nice unit. Keep up the good work. I was looking at an Anvil 7gallon, but this looks like a worthy upgrade for minimal cost.

Hi @DBSMike , Thanks for popping in on this thread.

Is the bottom valve serviceable and/or can it be changed out? The limited images I find make it look like its permanent.

Hi @DBSMike , Thanks for popping in on this thread.

Is the bottom valve serviceable and/or can it be changed out? The limited images I find make it look like its permanent.

Evening @Nagrog!

The 3/4” ball valve can be changed out or taken off for cleaning. It is treaded on to the 3/4” pipe and that is welded on to the bottom of the fermenter.

Please consider making a 4 gallon fermenter with the same features. Smaller batch brewing is a thing these days. :) Anvil makes a nice one, but it lacks a bottom valve and true conical shape. I'd buy one for sure.

Please consider making a 4 gallon fermenter with the same features. Smaller batch brewing is a thing these days. :) Anvil makes a nice one, but it lacks a bottom valve and true conical shape. I'd buy one for sure.

That is certainly something we are considering, I'm a big fan of small batch brewing personally. What batch size do you typically brew?

Great! I package everything in 2.5 gallon kegs, so that's my batch size. Three gallon fermenters are not big enough, 5 gallons is fine but a little big, and 4 is perfect. :)

I also have 3 gallon kegs as an option, but 2.5 is the sweet spot. You can do 3 gallons in a 4 gallon fermenter as well, especially if there's a blow-off option (not usually needed).

Nice little 8 gallon fermenter! Anyone have any first hand experience? I have two Chapman fermenters but would love to yeast harvest or trub dump my beers.View attachment 656961
Wow

i considered the Spike Flex but the accessories add over a 100 to the base price.

i figured I couldn't lift the spike cf5 into a fridge.

The delta term tank seemed to have all the pieces I needed

They have a two for one sale on the web site so I just bought two!

They did charge 26 dollars for shipping while everyone else does it for free.

Will post feedback after I use it soon. Fingers crossed.

Wow

i considered the Spike Flex but the accessories add over a 100 to the base price.

i figured I couldn't lift the spike cf5 into a fridge.

The delta term tank seemed to have all the pieces I needed

They did charge 26 dollars for shipping while everyone else does it for free.

Will post feedback after I use it soon. Fingers crossed.

Your comment pinged my phone so I had a look. We do have free shipping and it should have been the default selection so not sure what happened there. You paid for UPS ground which is the free option regardless so I’ve refunded the $26 you paid. It’s either myself or our shipping guy that fulfills the order so he must have pulled yours, we try to catch things like this.

Hope you enjoy the fermenters!

Wow

I just looked around the site and did not see a two for one sale. Was it a short time thing? I would not mind giving these a try over the steeltanks I am currently using.

I just looked around the site and did not see a two for one sale. Was it a short time thing? I would not mind giving these a try over the steeltanks I am currently using.

We dont have a two-for-one sale, I think Udaybiz is referring to the discount on two fermenters in the Bundles section

We dont have a two-for-one sale, I think Udaybiz is referring to the discount on two fermenters in the Bundles section

Yes that's right. I got the bundle. And thanks for refunding the shipping cost.

Just got delivered today. Build quality seems good. Not sure if the handles can be used to lift a full container though. Seemed flimsy.

Will try a leak test with water this weekend.

Overall pleased so far at the build quality for the price point.

Last edited:
is

Yes that's right. I got the bundle. And thanks for refunding the shipping cost.

Just got delivered today. Build quality seems good. Not sure if the handles can be used to lift a full container though. Seemed flimsy.

Will try a leak test with water this weekend.

Overall pleased so far at the build quality for the price point.

Glad to hear! If anything comes up just drop me a PM or call me directly, the number is on the website.

As for the handles, the official recommendation is try to minimise movement of any full fermenter, ours or others, for your own sake. On a personal level, my fermentation fridge is down stairs in my basement and I have carried the full fermenter up and down numerous times, as well as around our office here.

Mike

Could the following be added from Stilldragon so that a TC valve could be attached?
1.5x.75.jpg

Bear in mind I have not tested, but if that is 3/4" NPT thread then yes, that will work.

Cool. I own 2 SS Brew Tech Brew buckets, an Anvil and a Spike Flex Plus. The downside to the SS Brewtech buckets is the small ball valve which is similar or exactly what your fermenter uses.

Cool. I own 2 SS Brew Tech Brew buckets, an Anvil and a Spike Flex Plus. The downside to the SS Brewtech buckets is the small ball valve which is similar or exactly what your fermenter uses.

Ours is similar and yep, that is a common comment. When we get enough feedback we will definitely take a look at everything and see what can be improved.

I’m not sure if the 3/4 would be large enough for a full turn dump for high matter beers. I can imagine that getting clogged.

I am wondering if this fermenter would be good for five gallon batches of wine or cider...

I’m not sure if the 3/4 would be large enough for a full turn dump for high matter beers. I can imagine that getting clogged.

I am wondering if this fermenter would be good for five gallon batches of wine or cider...

You're correct that in heavily (think your average NEIPA) loose dry hopped beers, dumping the yeast can be an issue. We advertise the bottom valve as a clean out port as saying that it is a dump port would be wrong for these specific beers. I, and many of my testers, have been successful in dumping yeast from many types of beer, pre cold crash. However, if you let the yeast cake get compacted or you have a truck load of hop matter, it is likely to clog. The same with a cold crash as this really makes things compacted.

I've made cider in it and it works great. Same deal though, if you plan to add berries or fruit after fermentation, that can clog the pipe. Haven't made wine yet but I cant see how it would be an issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions

@DBSMike thanks for popping in the forums to answer questions, it is greatly appreciated.

Question regarding the thermowell. Is this something that would accommodate a temp probe from a unit like an Inkbird ITC-308 or is there a specific type of thermometer that would be better suited for the thermowell.

@DBSMike thanks for popping in the forums to answer questions, it is greatly appreciated.

Question regarding the thermowell. Is this something that would accommodate a temp probe from a unit like an Inkbird ITC-308 or is there a specific type of thermometer that would be better suited for the thermowell.

Actually the thermowell is built around the Inkbird probe so it will fit perfectly. Certain other probes seem to be a hair too big for the thermowell but we are addressing this with a new thermowell. We plan to have this available in the next month or so.

I received one of the fermtanks as a contest winner a few weeks ago and over the weekend I was able to get it filled. Overall the tank is a great product for the price point. This is my first experience with a conical fermenter so I don't have a lot of experience using one. There are a few things that I've had to overcome like the thermowell is just barely to small for my BrewPi temperature probe and the holes in the lid are just a tad to small for my bulk heads to do a pressurized transfer. Neither one of those issues are a big deal and @DBSMike has been great working with to get these resolved.

I believe Brian from ShortCircuitBrewer is currently conducting testing. He's a great follow on twitter, instagram, and/or youtube. He'll put a video out as part of the review with in-use footage. I find his reviews thorough and helpful for equipment decisions. Really looking forward to the review for this one as like many of you the price point with capabilities is very attractive.

Back