Delirium Tremens extract clone - too much attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velorider11

Reaction score
Hi all. I brewed an extract with steeping grains recipe for a Delirium Tremens clone that I got on this forum. When I picked up the ingredients, I used a combination of LME and DME because the LHBS didn't have the total amount of either one and I ended up with an OG of 1.090 instead of the 1.084 the recipe called for. FG is supposed to be 1.013. I pitched onto 1/2 yeast cake Wyeast 1388 and added a packet of Safale 04 and when it was slow to take off I added a vial of WLP570. I pitched 12 days ago and took a gravity reading last night and it was already at 1.014 which puts it at almost 10% abv. It tasted good - just a little harsh and much better than I expected but the body was fuller than it should be. Since it has only been 12 days, I think the gravity may drop a bit more which would dry it out further but then the abv is starting to go way beyond what it should be. I had planned on 5 weeks primary then bottle conditioning. Should I just let it go and see what I end up with? I guess it's no longer a DT clone or a Belgian Strong Golden but if the abv goes up much more, what will it be then? I used 7lbs Pilsen LME, 2lbs. extra light DME, 1lb. clear candy sugar, 1lb. Belgian blonde candy syrup, 1/2lb. corn sugar, and steeped 15oz. combination of biscuit and aromatic for my fermentables. Any critiques or advice is welcome. Thanks

Back