Delayed Yeast Washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcbandl

Reaction score
I was planning on washing the yeast on my current batch. I racked off the yeast and was preparing the water and jars and realized it was not going to be cooled in time before I had to go to work. If I just put the carboy back in the fermentation chamber with the yeast cake in it until tonight would that hurt the viability of the yeast. Or even pour the water in before work if its cooled and then in the fermenter until tonight.

any suggestions?

I don't know, but of those two options, I would think just putting the carboy with the cake at the bottom away until the water is cooled is what I'd do. I would not put hot water on the yeast. I have gotten in the habit of getting my water boiled and my mason jars prepped the day before washing so it's cooled by washing yeast day.

ended up just putting the carboy back in the fermenter until I get home after midnight. I capped the mason jars with the water so they will be cooled and waiting by the time I get home. In the future I will do the same and get the water and jars prepared the day before.

Latest posts

Back