Delayed sparge-what to expect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
Brewed yesterday and my buddy had a mishap with his sparge. His grain was crushed too fine and this resulted in it being stuck multiple times. It would flow a bit, then just as soon as it cleared up a little, it would stop. We figured the best remedy would be to use a nylon bag-but we didn't have one.

He ran out to the store to get one-good thing the local liquor megaplex has a small homebrewing section...LHBS is closed on Sundays. Once he arrived, we lined my MLT (now empty) with the bag, transferred the mash, then resumed the sparge now that the bag was in place to prevent further stoppage.

In total, the initial mash was 90 min. at about 150...but in the time it took to go to the store (another hour at least), the mash sat and cooled a bit. We couldn't mash out because we couldn't get any circulation. Any idea what the ramifications might be?

a full starch conversion I would imagine. 150 is pretty low and you would be getting alot of conversion as it is, stack that with a 90 minutes sparge and pow! Now sure what the effects of the mash cooling then getting lautered will have.

Back