Delayed Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
So I have a Belgium Dark Strong Ale mashing and I just found out that I have to pick up my daughter from college..... This will be 3 hours round trip. If I complete my mash and sparge, pick her up, then boil 3 hours later, will there be any souring or adverse effects?

Yes, just leave the mash. I've done overnight mashes without problems.

Ok, didn't think of that..... I do BIAB and it is already a 90 minute mash..... So you're saying leave the mash for the 3 hour trip and then batch sparge when I return? The mash temp will drop considerably in my kettle.

I've done what you're talking about - completed the mash and done the wort collection, and just put the cover on it and boiled the next day (and also like you - not by choice). It worked out just fine, but later after consulting HBT I decided that if I ever do that again I will bring the wort up to 180F in the BK to pasteurize it before leaving it overnight. That's just an additional caution against the wort growing any bugs overnight.

Won't be a problem. Most of your conversion in a mash happens well before that 90 minute mark. Beyond that point your fermentable profile is pretty well set.

I wound up leaving it in the kettle mash (BIAB ) for the trip and batch sparged when I returned. The total mash time was right at 5 hours. During that time the temp dropped to 130°. I then boiled as normal and it came in at 1.092 (7 points short of my anticipated 1.099).

Latest posts

Back