Defrosting Kegerator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
I have to defrost my kegerator as the backplate has developed an ice block.

Not surprising, and I have done this before, but with a hair dryer.

Can I use a heat gun? Will it be too hot?

I do not want to melt or burn anything.

Thank you

Using a heat gun is how I damaged my ice maker. Lots of parts in there that simply weren't made to get hot. Hair dryer even can soften things up but you might not be in as confined a space as the ice maker slot. I didn't notice how far the heat was traveling. At least with a hair dryer you can feel around while you are doing it. I've got a Samsung refrigerator in the kitchen that periodically ices up (design problem) and I just suck it up and wait now.

Using a heat gun is how I damaged my ice maker. Lots of parts in there that simply weren't made to get hot. Hair dryer even can soften things up but you might not be in as confined a space as the ice maker slot. I didn't notice how far the heat was traveling. At least with a hair dryer you can feel around while you are doing it. I've got a Samsung refrigerator in the kitchen that periodically ices up (design problem) and I just suck it up and wait now.

No ice maker. Haier dual kegerator.

From my experience, Samsung makes a good TV....that's about it.

Whatever you do, don't physically chip away at the ice or pull anything. I've heard of many instances of pinhole leaks being created that way.

Oh no no. I wouldn't do that.

Like I said, I have used a hair dryer before, just wanted to see if I could speed up the process at all, since its not as warm out.

I empty the kegerator and wheel it outside to defrost (with and without using the hair dryer.)

I’d probably just let a fan blow into it with the door open, or hook the hose of your shopvac to the discharge and let that blow in. You’ll be surprised how fast that really is if you’re doing something else while the kegerator is thawing.

Throw a couple towels in the bottom to catch the thawed condensation.

I’d probably just let a fan blow into it with the door open, or hook the hose of your shopvac to the discharge and let that blow in. You’ll be surprised how fast that really is if you’re doing something else while the kegerator is thawing.

Throw a couple towels in the bottom to catch the thawed condensation.
I'm going to empty it and bring it outside to thaw with the door open first thing on Saturday morning and see how it goes throughout the day.

I'm going to angle it forward so all the water goes out the door.

I'm going to empty it and bring it outside to thaw with the door open first thing on Saturday morning and see how it goes throughout the day.

I'm going to angle it forward so all the water goes out the door.
That works too if you’re in no hurry. Once the melt starts it will accelerate. After the ice is gone, clean it good with a weak bleach solution to kill all bacteria and mold, rinse, then spray it with StarSan and let it dry. Can’t think of a better time to flush and clean the lines too. I keep a spray bottle of each around my brew bench. Do not mix bleach and StarSan, period. This procedure will help prevent molds from forming on any drips/residue on your kegs by killing it inside the kegerator first. Even a hand/finger print from handling the keg will mold. Probably preaching to the choir though. Vic

Back