Defective bottle capper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajunbrewer87

Reaction score
Hey brewers! New here and about to bottle my first batch of beer, Irish red ale from northern brewer. I am using the essential starter kit from NB as well. I bottle in a few days so I decided to test my bottle capper. I bought 12 oz long neck bottles from the LHBS and the caps and capper came with the kit. The problem is when I push down on the capper it is wobbly and wants to tilt. Most of the time it makes a popping sound and nothing happens but when I do get a cap on it looks crooked. Not sure if you can see in the picture but one of the bottom pieces on the capper is lower than the other. Is this normal? Maybe I'm not doing something right, is capping supposed to be this difficult? Thanks in advance for the help. Cheers

image.jpg

Try not pushing down with the capper, the capper should grip the bottle and crimp upwards. So almost no down pressure, you should be able to cap in mid air, if it's not broken.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like one of the metal plates (the one on the bottom looking at the pic) that stops the capper from going too far down is chipped or missing a piece. I looked at my capper, and the capper that crimps the cap comes down and touches that metal plate and yours may not be stopping on that side and pushing the cap too far down. Is the metal plate chipped or is it the angle of the picture?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks for the replies. It does have a very very small chip on the plate. I tried to cap one just now without pushing down but every time I push the handles the capper wants to tilt away from me or towards me sometimes. Ive tried over and over and just cant keep it straight. I might just bring it to the LHBS and if the think its broken Ill just get a different one

It shouldn't do that. Return it if you can, otherwise you need a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Looks like on metal plate is set at 26mm and the other is 29mm.

Those plates should pull out (might need to use a pliers for the first time) and flip around.

Mine had the cap skirt start unscrewing (not sure what to call it, the part that is bell shaped, has a magnet in the center and transmits the force to the edges of the cap to crimp it) Now I check it each time i start a capping session.

I have one of those as a back up. I never felt it was very stable when capping. If you do replace it try out a bench capper first. I wouldn't go for the Ferrari model, but for me the bench capper is the way to go. Bring some of your bottles and caps into the LHBS and try out what they sell...

I use the 29mm setting when capping Champagne bottles (used them a time or two for apfelwein).

Full disclosure: the "Champagne" bottles I refer to are from Canadian-made sparkling white wines. These bottles take a cap from my my wing capper (set at 29mm) very well. I have no idea if it would work on true Champagne bottles.

I have the Ferrari super agata bench capper & it's been great so far. I also have their bottle tree & vinator.

yes, the bottle tree and the vinator are great. Sure do get a mountain of suds using StarSan....sanitizes the outside neck of the bottle...

I just wanted to add that I was having trouble with my bench capper I would waste about a dozen caps every bottling day. I was using fermenter's favorite caps. I decided to try some caps from Annapolis Home Brew(my local brew store). In about 10 batches now I have wasted one cap, for whatever reason their caps go on some much smoother.. I was very disappointed until switching caps, now super happy.

Looks like on metal plate is set at 26mm and the other is 29mm.

Those plates should pull out (might need to use a pliers for the first time) and flip around.

Damn China! What are we paying deep discounts for!!??

But now I'll go buy this Red Barron

In case you guys were wondering, it was the plates. Northern brewer sent me a replacement and it works great!

So I picked up the Red Baron caper in discussion here, switched the plates to 29*, but I can't cap my 29 caps... do I need a different bell?

Back