Deep freeze fermentation mold issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lboe12

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been using a newer deep freeze with temp controller for fermentation but it seems no matter how much I clean it I get mold forming on the joints of the freezer, in the bottom, condensation is collecting there. Any tips on how to keep my freezer mold free?
Thanks

Bucket of Damp Rid.

OR... just make sure that your freezer is sealed. For instance, if you ran lines in between the lid and the seal, you're letting in (warmer) outside air. Or if you tend to open the lid a lot, you'll also let in outside air. When the freezer cools down that warmer air, it will condense, causing water and eventually mold.

Using a combo of these two techniques, I've eliminated my mold problems.

I have a collar that I drilled through and sealed it. I also run my taps through the collar so I don't open it a lot.

IMAG0195.jpg

Like dis.

I have the probe for the temp controller and another probe to show me the ambient temp in mine run between the lid and freezer box. I use these (3 of them in mine) and it works perfectly. No condensation or mold. I accidentally dumped some damp-rid over one time and the water it had collected made a big mess in some carpet that was forever to clean out. These beads turn pink when they need to be plugged in and blue once plugged in long enough to be recharged.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?q=eva-dry&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#q=eva-dry&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Wv3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=8cRXT8PuKtObtwex3aSUDw&ved=0CHkQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=36039f6e2eaf2863&biw=1600&bih=709[/ame]

Another shot showing the lines coming in over the top of the seal,

Back