Decoction mash technique idea with Electric Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feurhund

Reaction score
Let me know if there are holes in this thinking....

I have a Kal clone herms system with heater elements. I am thinking of getting a 3500W induction top for my Mash tun.

My process would be to conduct a normal mash. Get up to the lower Sacch rest in the 140s with the herms, Then drain most of the liquid out of the mash tun leaving the thick mash inside. I would in essence be preserving the enzymes in a separate pot. I would then raise the thick mash to 150s for a rest and then boil for 20min or whatever recipe calls for. Then I would add some spare water to bring down to next rest and add the thin enzyme mash back.

This would save me from scooping out the grain and boiling outdoors. I plan on building an electric stirrer to make it even easier.

Any thoughts on the process or issues?

I'm a little lost on what your plan actually is.
Anyway, a little mash is much easier to heat than the whole lot

For reference, what I do now is scoop most of the grain out with a colander and put in a separate pot which I bring outside and bring to a boil on a burner while stirring.

It is a bit of a pain, especially in the winter. I am trying to create a more efficient process. I could easily drain off the liquid and use a stirrer and induction heater to direct fire the mash tun.
I'm even wondering if simply recirculating from under the false bottom to the top would prevent scorching.

Just want to get opinions of i am doing anything detrimental in the process and if it will be a true decoction.

Thanks and sorry it is confusing.

Back