December 2013 New England Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added a bag, might add another one or two depend on how frequent you think you will be doing orders in the future.

Is it going to be available again in the summer? I try not to over-order cause I like to use as fresh as possible.

I am not sure when the next buy is going to be. Things are going to be more challenging because Redman67 isn't going to be as available to receive the orders. Also it looks like I am going to be working on the build out for the brewery soon. So it might end up being a 2 or 3 times a year thing.

As to the freshness thing NCM recommends that you use malt stored in a silo in 18mo. So if you are storing it in a sealed bucket or bin you really have more like 2 years at least to use it. I have some specialty grain I bought when we first started the buy. It has been kept in a sealed bucket with some descant. Honestly I don't think you would know the difference from that and something just shipped to us.

I am not sure when the next buy is going to be. Things are going to be more challenging because Redman67 isn't going to be as available to receive the orders. Also it looks like I am going to be working on the build out for the brewery soon. So it might end up being a 2 or 3 times a year thing.

As to the freshness thing NCM recommends that you use malt stored in a silo in 18mo. So if you are storing it in a sealed bucket or bin you really have more like 2 years at least to use it. I have some specialty grain I bought when we first started the buy. It has been kept in a sealed bucket with some descant. Honestly I don't think you would know the difference from that and something just shipped to us.

Agreed. I aim for enough malt for 12 months but reassess after 5 or 6 to see if I am using more/less than I anticipated.

I've had malt for 2 years and it seems fine, but I just think fresher is better. Who knows how long it sits in the NCM warehouses.

2 or 3 times per year probably makes things easier logistically anyway. If Redman can't receive I could volunteer for future order receiving at my company (w/loading dock) in Central MA. This is really a great money saver for homebrewers and I'd like to help out anyway possible.

Were in central MA?

Once Down the Road is up and running I am just going to make available a single pallet to homebrewers. The pick up will be at the brewery at that point.

This order we have had a lot of 2 bag orders so we have many more folks taking part in it. Also there are a ton of splits. This is going to be a difficult sort

Were in central MA?

Once Down the Road is up and running I am just going to make available a single pallet to homebrewers. The pick up will be at the brewery at that point.

This order we have had a lot of 2 bag orders so we have many more folks taking part in it. Also there are a ton of splits. This is going to be a difficult sort

So in other words, 2-3 times a year and just do a 42 bag order and just first come first serve? Just want to know so I can plan usage for the grains. Thank you again for putting this together man.

Yes that is the plan. I might limit the order to 5 bags per person if I needed to so that people can have a shot at getting some grain. I won't really have the space to lay out all the grain at the brewery.

Were in central MA?

Sturbridge, MA.

When/where do you anticipate the brewery starting up? That would obviously be easier plus we could grab a pint while we pickup :mug:

Right now it looks like it is going to be in Newton, MA. I am thinking we will be selling beer in November but the work on the build out will start soon. Once the lease is signed.

The buy is currently full. I am going to make sure the pricing is correct. Once I make sure that the sheet has the correct pricing I will post for folks to pay. You can pay via Paypal as a gift or check. I prefer PayPal as we can get the order in faster.

Ok I am currently working on price corrections on the sheet. I should have that done tonight. Once that is done if you don't know my PayPal info you need to send me a PM asking for it.

Also I would like to thank the following people for donating some money to myself and Redman67

Kaz4121
ismedeiros88
Irishwrench
Jplinmass
Tellyhoe
Abouch
Fender230
Ismediros88
TLR
m00se
Purplehaze
Seph
Carlsbad
Zinc_Saucier
Bowwowz
xxguitarist

Thanks much guys!!

If you feel like you want to make a donation to keep the buy going let me know how much via PM and I will add it to the sheet

Folks who have paid

lextasy23
PabstBluinusRibbunus
purplehaze
XXGuitarist
Jlpinmass
Irishwrench
steve071
HawkATP
elemenopee7
WavePuckRiker
natescape
Fender230
mikestephsasha
hnbc34
kaz4121
entropicpenalty
kappclark
jeff13
aslander
Bowwowz
philw86
m00se
Seph
zibcm
TLR
ismedeiros88
Zinc_Saucier
carlsbad
brewskerdoo
tellyho
redman67

Do we have a rough pickup date for planning? My work schedule has been crazy lately, and want to plan such that I can get up there to pick things up.

Side note, since a bit of my extract is being drop shipped, any ETA on that? Would like to pick up all 3 buckets at once.

Once the money drops into my account from PayPal I will place the order. Once I place the order I will poll the group to see what the best weekend day will be to sort the grain.

As to the drop shipping stuff I have never done it so I don't know how long it will take. If it takes longer then the main buy shipment you could ask redman67 to hold it till the other buckets arrive. He has been known to do that if you ask nicely via pm.

As to the drop shipping stuff I have never done it so I don't know how long it will take. If it takes longer then the main buy shipment you could ask redman67 to hold it till the other buckets arrive. He has been known to do that if you ask nicely via pm.

If I were you I'd sweeten the pot with a nice cold six pack of Bud Light.

Ya, but Miller Lite has the 'DRINK FASTER ENJOY LESS' air spout can.

This is gonna be a tough decision.

I just deleted my pms if you asked for my address and I didnt send it to you please pm again

Back