Dear Blue Lobster, Stop Doing What You’re Doing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levifunk1

Reaction score
http://www.seacoastbeveragelab.com/2014/03/12/dear-blue-lobster-stop/

I really hate writing things like this, but when good people are involved in bad situations it hits a nerve.

Dear Blue Lobster, stop doing what you’re doing.

It has been a couple months since David Sakolsky left/was fired from your brewery. While you were on a path to recovery by hiring new brewers and continuing on, you made a bad decision. Here is a photo to jog your memory from March 12, 2014:

(thanks for the cover photo and sharing this photo Jay Omobono)

According to Dave
“I didn’t even know you could use Ass on a label. Learn something everyday Details that should be on the label: This beer was a collaboration brewed between Paul Vaughn and myself. It is a 7.8% Biere De Garde brewed with Tennessee grits and aged 10 months in Arrington Vineyards Port barrels with a mixed culture. It has multiple brett variants and bacteria. Paul not only built the bacterial culture, bought the grits, flew up here to brew with me on his dime, and got us a deal on the barrels, but also designed the recipe with me. He deserves more than a mention for that beer. I’m just mad no credit was given to the collaborator who paid out of pocket for more than half the costs of that beer. Our culture would have been about $600 to buy outright anything close.”

The beer was originally named Paul’s Boutique, and before releasing it to beer stores was re-named to “Broke Ass Hobbie”. What is a Hobbie? Urban dictionary has a few definitions of it:

“A male who assumes they are right in all situations”

or

“A god in his own rights, owns everyone.”

I do not know the whole situation, not by a long shot, but I know when something isn’t the right thing to do. I have known Dave for a year and I am proud to consider him a friend. For those that don’t know I am co-authoring “New Hampshire Beer” with my buddy Mike Meredith and at every brewery we have visited or talked to we end up talking about Dave for 20 minutes because the brewers from the state love him. With so much praise for Dave, I can’t help but imagine Blue Lobster named this beer in bad taste. I am working on getting comments from Blue Lobster so consider the Blue Lobster saga far from over even though we thought it was fading to semi-normal. I tried asking on Facebook and the comment was deleted.

Without another shameless promotion I do a podcast with friends and we interview brewers from around the country. Every single one of them say the breweries that are in it for the right reasons will survive…I will leave it on that note for now.

For the love of beer,
Brian

I think a legitimate argument can be made that this is much, much more incompetent. And infinitely more dick-ish.

The argument can be made both ways. Never seen breweries fight over who can pull off a bigger dumb.

Benoit at Blue Lobster really knows the PR game. Class move.

The store I saw it at had it at $15 retail for a 375 ml bottle. I will buy a bottle because I've been look forward to having Paul's Boutique to see what David and Paul were able to come up with. I hope some of that $ makes it way down to Paul at Sweetwater to help cover his costs.

I also hear that my local has a big David S. stout on nitro ("Last Call") - I'm also going to give that a go. After that, my Blue Lobster shirt will be going to Goodwill.

Fun fact: acetone/nail polish remover takes paint off growlers in a hurry.

i will love to see how BA redacts all mentioning of DDB from this thread

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/blue-lobster-broke-ass-hobbie.160267/
13115095684_de7c7fd6d1_c.jpg

By deleting all reference, as usual. Dem Communist Feelz....
hahaha they selectively deleted every post with any mention of DDB in it, despite that the DDB post had operative information explaining the situation. Instead leaving huge gaps in the story and a userbase confused with several details.

respecting beer indeed, by way of omission.

hahaha they selectively deleted every post with any mention of DDB in it, despite that the DDB post had operative information explaining the situation. Instead leaving huge gaps in the story and a userbase confused with several details.

i know dat feel

Waiting for them to copy and paste your website and move it to the "beer news" forum.

Except they left jomobono's post with the link to the actual DDB article. I guess links to DDB are allowed when they are informative, discussion just isn't allowed.

DEUCES

Except they left jomobono's post with the link to the actual DDB article. I guess links to DDB are allowed when they are informative, discussion just isn't allowed.

DEUCES

Nevermind, I shouldn't have posted this here. I forgot this site doubles as F2's mod queue. It's deleted now.

One of these days BA is going to really get into it with an actual brewery of moderate renown, and it will be hilarious when they try to enforce that all mentions of said brewery's beer are not allowed on the site.

Has anyone on there tried casually posting pictures of drinking out of a Talkbeer snifter in whatever the daily threads are?

One of these days BA is going to really get into it with an actual brewery of moderate renown, and it will be hilarious when they try to enforce that all mentions of said brewery's beer are not allowed on the site.

Has anyone on there tried casually posting pictures of drinking out of a Talkbeer snifter in whatever the daily threads are?

That more-or-less happened with Clown Shoes for a time. However, now the the Clown Shoes guy starts a new thread in the NE forum for every newly-named version of an old beer that he puts in a different barrel or adds a new adjunct to. They don't seem to get deleted.

There had been a good few posts in the past that I never saw get deleted, but I don't exactly pay much attention to that site.

If I knew jack-**** about college basketball, I might, but I haven't watched or payed attention to 1 second of it all season, so I'd be shooting in the dark. :(
1. Sum the Probabilities of winning each round * (seed # + 1) for each team.
2. Pick 5 highest. Message me.
3a. Win beer + TB snifter.
3b. Send out 44oz of beer.

edit - not sorry if I blew up someone's method

Latest posts

Back