Dead yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykool

Reaction score
I lost power to my heat source during the entire fermentation stage, I have found my brew sitting at 14c/57f. Is my yeast dead or is it dormant meaning I can just heat it back up, or will I need to add more yeast or even worse is this brew to be dumped?

Yeast is just cold. Let it warm up and it will be just fine.

Depending on the yeast just get it into the range it likes and the yeasty beasties will go to work.

its just domant, or even just a little sluggish at that temp. how long has it been that way?

:ban:The little guys are sleeping. Yeast just slow down when they're cold, kind of like us. Yeast can be frozen for a long period of time but they don't die, they go dormant. Don't worry just put your fermenter in a warmer place and wait. They're tough little buggers and will get back to work as soon as they warm and wake up

:ban:The little guys are sleeping. Yeast just slow down when they're cold, kind of like us. Yeast can be frozen for a long period of time but they don't die, they go dormant. Don't worry just put your fermenter in a warmer place and wait. They're tough little buggers and will get back to work as soon as they warm and wake up
+1
I am doing a successful 2L starter of some WLP550 a friend gave me =

his label said 2009...and they are waking up...now need a good recipe for 550

Latest posts

Back