Dead Yeast in Starter . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I suspected my yeast was not viable and, after well over 24 hours in the starter, there's nothing to report. No krausen, no CO2 and no slurry yeast band.

Can I simply throw in a new batch of yeast into the very same starter? I hear that yeasts are cannibals . . .would they eat up the dead yeast cells in the starter effectively providing a source of nutrition?

Thanks

You could do that. Or you could make a separate starter and let the first one ride, it might ferment eventually.

Explain your recipe for the original starter, what was the temp of the starter wort when you pitched the yeast, and what strain?

Yeast from a vial/pack? Are you culturing? The few times I've cultured from small amounts, like a bottle, it took longer than 24 hours.

Yeast=1056
Wort temp=75deg
Starter=2 liter starter with 2 cups DME and a few sanitized raisins for added yeast nutrition.
This is a 2d generation yeast I saved in the fridge. It's approx 11 months old. However, everything I used, from the water to wash to the yeast to the jar to store it, was well sterilized.

It's been about 48 hrs. I just added in more 1056 from a brew made last August. Wonder how this will turn out. My theory is it should be ok...as a living organism, yeast will do anything to survive and reproduce.

If I remember correctly the fresh yeast can consume the dead ones for protein or something? Don't quote me on that but I could have sworn I read it somewhere.

Back