Dead yeast and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grnich

Reaction score
Made a batch of IPA that didn't ferment out well. Long story, but basically I'm stuck with a FG of 1.024 and 3% beer. Now I've decided to bottle it.

I'm afraid that the yeast is dead and won't carbonate when I bottle(had this happen in another batch). Has anybody tried adding yeast to the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar to make sure it carbonates? Any other way to make sure carbonation occurs other than kegging it? Thought I'd make a starter and add to bottling bucket that way.

But... if you ARE successful, and adding yeast causes the beer to carbonate, what's to keep it from consuming all the sugars that are still in the beer? If your gravity is that high, and you manage to get the yeast working again, BUT, they're doing so while confined in bottles - well, that's not a very good combination.

I'd try and get the beer un-stuck before bottling. What have you tried? Move it to a warmer location? Re-pitch, maybe just some dry yeast?

Are you sure it's dead and not just dormant? There are several factors that will cause dormancy; temperature being one of them. High enough andit will kill them. High alcohol content will too but that doesn't sound like your problem. What kind of yeast did you use? Did you make a starter? What kinds of fermentation temps has the beer seen? How long has in been fermenting? Primary? Secondary?

If I were you, I'd RDWAHAHB.

No, this ferment is done. I've tried it all, more yeast, more yeast, brewbelt, yeast energizer, yeast nutrient, another starter. This thing ain't moving anymore. It's safe in secondary and it's either bottle or dump. I think the extract I used is crap.

Assuming the residual sugars in the batch aren't going to ferment, I assume mixxing new yeast with the sugar should only consume sugar and carbonate normally. Also, I use PETE plastic bottles, not glass and caps, so I think they might be more pressure tolerant.

Back