Dead Elm Amber Ale low yield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
I bottled my second (ever) batch of beer today, my Dead Elm Amber Ale (Brewers Best American Amber with White Labs California Ale yeast.) After a 3-week primary the clarity and flavor was very good. I siphoned to the bottling bucket and bottled away. What the???? Only 44 bottles this time, I thought my yield was low last time with 47 bottles. I must be measuring wrong when topping off the wort in the carboy. I didn't slosh and waste nearly as much beer this time as the last. Hmmmmm. My only real concern is that I didn't over carbonate as I used the full bag of priming sugar for a low yield. Time will tell, I guess.

Seeing as I used the California Ale yeast this time I'm trying my hand at yeast washing. It's supposed to be a versatile yeast good for a variety of ales, which is what I like to drink/brew. It's settling in the gallon jug right now, I'll pour it into the pint mason jars shortly.

Questions, worries, questions. I know, RDWHAHB.

I think I will.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me. I always have a little variation 2-3 bottles isn't to much. From what I understand you can have some evaporation of liquids while in the fermenter.

I also had quite a bit of air bubbling through the auto siphon when racking to the bottling bucket. When it happened the last timr it didn't affect the beer, just one other thing to worry about, I suppose.

RDWHAHB. Easy to say hard to do lol. I used to be so worried about every little thing that wasn't dead nuts. (I'm a perfectionist). Some of the best beers i have made have been accidents lol. I would be careful with the air in the siphon though. You don't want to aerate the beer or it will have an adverse effect on the flavor if it gets oxygenated.

Not sure what's causing the bubbles, though. I auto siphon from slightly above the yeast cake, so I'm not sure hot the bubbles get it in there. Must be my technique?

I don't know I use a regular racking cane. I have been wanting to get a auto siphon but haven't. It is likely your technique. I would watch some you tube videos of guys using them. always helps me.

Back