DC Group Buy #21

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! There has been a flurry of activity and this buy can close anytime. Let me get through the holiday and I will start setting up a time to close the buy and arrange the pickup. I cannot do it before the 20th, so I am trying to get a date confirmed for the 20th or later. Once I know, I will start sending out emails. Here's where we stand on splits at the moment:

Available - Product Description:
45lb Simpsons Peated 55 lb
25lb Weyermann Beech Smoked 55 lb
25lb Crisp Amber 55 lb
35lb Muntons Black Malt 55 Lb
10lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
30lb Crisp Caramalt 15L 55 lb
25lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 120L 50 lb
25lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
25lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 80L 50 lb
10lb Crisp Chocolate 55 lb
25lb Muntons Crystal 150 55 lb
30lb Crisp Crystal Light 45L 55 lb
50lb Briess Pilsen Dry Malt Extract 50 Lb
40lb Weyermann Acidulated 55 lb
40lb Weyermann CARAHELL 55 lb
25lb Muntons Torrefied Wheat 55 lb
30lb Weyermann Pale Rye 55 lb
40lb Dingemans Biscuit (Mr 50) 55 Lb
30lb Crisp Roasted Barley 55 lb
30lb Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
35lb Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb

I'll probably close some splits once I figure out what I'll be brewing.

I'll probably close some splits once I figure out what I'll be brewing.

You could do that, or you could close a bunch of splits and figure out what to brew later. I mean, they’re called specialty malts. Making a beer with 100% specialty malt must mean that it’s really special.

Hey Tony - when is the next buy closing? Can you set me up and send me the link? I was last on Buy #18. I had to take about 6 months off brewing as I was busy finishing off my garage/brew area. Now it is fully insulated with heat and air conditioning, exhaust fan, floor drain, hot and cold running water, 40" TV, and all the wiring for my EBIAB system. Whew..... Back brewing now and need grain! Thx, Ed

Last edited:
Hey Tony - when is the next buy closing? Can you set me up and send me the link? I was last on Buy #18. I had to take about 6 months off brewing as I was busy finishing off my garage/brew area. Now it is fully insulated with heat and air conditioning, exhaust fan, floor drain, hot and cold running water, 40" TV, and all the wiring for my EBIAB system. Whew..... Back brewing now and need grain! Thx, Ed

Ed,

Sure thing! I just setup your account on the web site. You should have an email at the last email address I have for you. Use your HBT name to login and that temp pw in your email. Let Petar and I know if you have any issues getting in.

The buy is closing soon. Waiting to hear back on a date from 3 Stars, but planning tentatively for one SAT later in JAN (20th or later).

Welcome back!

T

Hey all - I just added a split of PBW to the buy and took the first 10 lbs. You all know you use it and need it and at $3.88 a lb, it's a huge discount over the homebrew supply stores - so jump on it and close the split! Cheers, Ed

Available Product Description

10lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
10lb Crisp Chocolate 55 lb
20lb Crisp Amber 55 lb
25lb Muntons Torrefied Wheat 55 lb
25lb Crisp Roasted Barley 55 lb
30lb Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
35lb Dingemans Biscuit (Mr 50) 55 Lb
35lb Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb
35lb PBW 50 lb
50lb Briess Pilsen Dry Malt Extract 50 Lb

I ponied up and added 5 more lb each to Crisp Amber, Brown, and Chocolate. The chocolate and the brown only need 5 more lb to close, and the amber needs 15. Let's finish those out!

Last edited:
Ed,

Sure thing! I just setup your account on the web site. You should have an email at the last email address I have for you. Use your HBT name to login and that temp pw in your email. Let Petar and I know if you have any issues getting in.

The buy is closing soon. Waiting to hear back on a date from 3 Stars, but planning tentatively for one SAT later in JAN (20th or later).

Welcome back!

T

Did the website change? I tried to log into the site from last year and got a page not found error. I'd like to get in on this buy if it's not too late.

Mike or anyone with 3 Stars ties...can you talk to Tim and ask him to answer my emails? Appreciate it! Wanna get this buy closed and rolling to the finish line.

Mike or anyone with 3 Stars ties...can you talk to Tim and ask him to answer my emails? Appreciate it! Wanna get this buy closed and rolling to the finish line.
Sorry, just saw this. Did you hear back from Tim yet?

Also, can you send the new site URL to my Gmail address? Pretty sure you have it. I just sent you a note.

Last edited:
Yeah I need access again. I plan to definitely get in on this buy, so I need a drop dead date of when I have to have everything ordered by.

Just so there is no confusion about a “new” url, the url has not changed in almost a year. If you have ordered within the last year, then it is the same url.

If you google dc area group grain buy, it should pop up on the first page.

If you have had an account, then you can reset your password from the main page.

Looks like we are closing this down THIS WEEKEND! So if you want in on the buy, get to the order page by FRI night! Let's close some more splits while you are at it. I will send a group email later in the week with details...

Available Description
10lb Crisp Amber 55 lb
35lb Dingemans Biscuit (Mr 50) 55 Lb
20lb Crisp Roasted Barley 55 lb
25lb Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
20lb Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb
10lb PBW 50 lb

Looking forward to it! I was worried the pickup would be set for 2/3, and I’ve got a running race that morning.

Now - I’ll make my plea to get the smoked malt split ended. If you haven’t tried a rauchbier, it’s definitely unique. It’s worth making at least once!

Tony - if no one else grabs it, you can add the final 10 lbs of PBW to my share in order to close that split. But leave it open until the end. Thx, Ed

I just added a Golden Naked Oats split, if anyone is interested. I will also be adding Honey Malt, Torrified Wheat, Vienna and Munich.

Last edited:
Now - I’ll make my plea to get the smoked malt split ended. If you haven’t tried a rauchbier, it’s definitely unique. It’s worth making at least once!

Was hoping this would close too! I wanted to make a rauchbier, plus having smoked malt on hand is fun to add complexity to darker beers.

Side trades are welcomed and encouraged, but lets keep it simple for me so I don't have to worry about it. If you want to make changes on the website, please feel free but make sure you do it in a coordinated fashion. I don't have the ability (nor do I want anyone to have it) to willy nilly change your orders on the site. You alone have that power (okay I probably could figure a way to muscle it, but that would take some effort and probably help from Petar, unlikely to happen).

Ed, I can't add to your order so just check it FRI late and take what is left, if anything.

OH - if you paypal, it REALLY helps if you put your HBT moniker in the comments. I have MOST of your real names in the database, but some of you are missing as I setup accounts without it.

Petar - do we have an ability to edit names? Would be a nice feature to add if not and if you have time.

Tony in general I can just add the missing names to the table from the command line, if you send them to me together with the corresponding username.

You can also just delete the user, and then add it again with the name. The user will then just receive a new welcome email and reset her/his password. A lot of the people reset their passwords anyway, so that should not be too much of a hassle.

When you delete a user, her/his current order doesn’t go away. I would give it a shot after you lock the buy at the end of the week. Download the order just in case....

Let me know how you want to handle it.

Cheers!

Can someone remind me what the policy is on paying for splits that haven't closed yet? Should I just paypal the closed stuff now and then do another on Friday if the open splits I'm part of close? Or just wait to friday to paypal Tony?

Can someone remind me what the policy is on paying for splits that haven't closed yet? Should I just paypal the closed stuff now and then do another on Friday if the open splits I'm part of close? Or just wait to friday to paypal Tony?

Wait until FRI...easier on both of us that way.

Tony, Paypal to your @outlook.com address?

Yep. I will send out an email to everyone on the buy tonight with the details.

Cheers!

Tony in general I can just add the missing names to the table from the command line, if you send them to me together with the corresponding username.

You can also just delete the user, and then add it again with the name. The user will then just receive a new welcome email and reset her/his password. A lot of the people reset their passwords anyway, so that should not be too much of a hassle.

When you delete a user, her/his current order doesn’t go away. I would give it a shot after you lock the buy at the end of the week. Download the order just in case....

Let me know how you want to handle it.

Cheers!

Petar,

Sounds good. I will just delete them and re-enter them. Saves you the trouble and the users shouldn't be too burdened by that. Thanks again for all you have done!!

Shameful plea for help to close out roasted barley! Don't you all want to make some irish stouts for March 17?

As of just before 5PM, the following splits remain open:

10lb Crisp Roasted Barley 55 lb
20lb Gambrinus Honey 55 lb
30lb Muntons Crystal 150 55 lb
30lb Muntons Torrefied Wheat 55 lb
40lb Dingemans Biscuit (Mr 50) 55 Lb

If you are on any of these splits, you need to either take some weight in order to close them out, convince someone else to, or reopen on the next buy and move on.

I heard back from Three Stars and we are confirmed for 10 FEB pickup, so go ahead and plan for that and start sending your payments. I have funds from about 10 people so far...good start. I will send an email later tonight.

Cheers!
Tony

Latest posts

Back