DC Area Group Grain Buy #24

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry everyone, been swamped with work. Thanks to Peter for keeping the lights on and taking care of everything.

Below are the current open splits, I would think we can close out the PBW and Crystal 60 but the others might be iffy. Since this buy has been open for so long it's probably best to put out a last-call. Please wrap up any changes to the order by Tuesday, Oct 29th. Once we freeze the buy I'll send out payment requests and then get the order placed. Thanks everyone for your continued patience, cheers

Item # Description Qty Available
CL25C PBW 50LB 10
1925C BRIESS 2-ROW CARAMEL 60L 50 LB 15
WEY1016 WEYERMANN VIENNA 25 KG (55 LB) 25
3200C FLAKED CORN 50 LB 30
CRI1001 CRISP FINEST MARIS OTTER ALE 25 KG (55 LB) 30
WEY1019 WEYERMANN MELANOIDIN 25 KG (55 LB) 35
1944C MUNTONS CHOCOLATE MALT 35
1615C BLACKSWAEN BISCUIT MALT (55 LB) 40
CRI1061 CRISP PALE CHOCOLATE 25 KG (55 LB) 45
3205D FLAKED OATS 50 LB 50
WEY1009 WEYERMANN PALE RYE 25 KG (55 LB) 55

Hey guys, I have a Marris Otter split open. Who doesn’t need a half a bag of it?

I have a flaked corn split open as well. I am willing to take another 10lbs of it in order to close.

I might take some Maris, need to check my inventory and also what I plan to brew in the next few months.

-- I took some Maris and 5# of flaked corn, I'm sure someone could use some Maris to get it closed.

Last edited:
We'll start wrapping this one up, hopefully we can close a few of the splits before we lock the buy. Expect payment requests to go out this week/weekend and assuming enough of the order comes in then we're looking at Nov 16th as a pick-up date. Sorry for beating the drum but please arrange for someone to pick up your grains if you're unable to make it.

Open Splits

CL25C PBW 50LB - 10 avlb
1925C BRIESS 2-ROW CARAMEL 60L - 15 avlb
CRI1001 CRISP FINEST MARIS OTTER ALE - 15 avlb
3200C FLAKED CORN - 25 avlb
WEY1016 WEYERMANN VIENNA - 25 avlb
WEY1019 WEYERMANN MELANOIDIN - 35 avlb
1944C MUNTONS CHOCOLATE MALT - 35 avlb
1615C BLACKSWAEN BISCUIT MALT - 40 avlb
CRI1061 CRISP PALE CHOCOLATE - 45 avlb

Can you give the date/time when the buy will be locked? I may want to adjust a few things right before that.

Although I don't quite want a whole sack of Vienna, I'm pretty sure I can find ways to use it up by next Summer.

I'll see if I can help with some of the other splits, but I still have quite a bit of Corn, Melanoidin, and C60 here.

Don't want to rush everyone but also don't want to slow walk this order in to December. I'd like to lock it tomorrow but realistically I'd say mid-day Friday is the cut-off.

As a reminder, PayPal is the preferred payment method so please ensure you have an account set up in advance. Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't want to rush everyone but also don't want to slow walk this order in to December. I'd like to lock it tomorrow but realistically I'd say mid-day Friday is the cut-off.

As a reminder, PayPal is the preferred payment method so please ensure you have an account set up in advance. Thanks!
Thank you, hopefully the extra time helps rounding out those few splits that are close.

Yup, PayPal's direct withdrawal from an attached bank account is the best method.
For those who haven't set that up, it does take a few days to get it activated, so don't drag your heels.

Closed the PBW, here's what's realistically left:

1925C BRIESS 2-ROW CARAMEL 60L -- 15 avlb
3200C FLAKED CORN -- 15 avlb
CRI1001 CRISP FINEST MARIS OTTER ALE -- 15 avlb
WEY1016 WEYERMANN VIENNA -- 25 avlb

Just a few open splits left if anyone is able to close them out:

1925C BRIESS 2-ROW CARAMEL 60L -- 15 avlb
3200C FLAKED CORN -- 15 avlb
WEY1016 WEYERMANN VIENNA -- 25 avlb

Will be locking the order later today, get your changes in while you can.
Cheers

Exactly, I should have been more clear but hadn't had my coffee yet. 50# of oats remaining from a 55# sack isn't likely to close in the next few hours but the full remaining splits are:

1925C BRIESS 2-ROW CARAMEL 60L -- 15 OPEN
3200C FLAKED CORN -- 15 OPEN
WEY1016 WEYERMANN VIENNA -- 25 OPEN
WEY1019 WEYERMANN MELANOIDIN -- 35 OPEN
1944C MUNTONS CHOCOLATE MALT -- 35 OPEN
1615C BLACKSWAEN BISCUIT MALT -- 40 OPEN
CRI1061 CRISP PALE CHOCOLATE -- 45 OPEN
3205D FLAKED OATS -- 50 OPEN
WEY1009 WEYERMANN PALE RYE -- 55 OPEN

I'm changing my Vienna split into a full sack purchase.

If no-one wants the leftover 15# of flaked corn I'll grab it to close it out and make @peter78 happy. That stuff doesn't go bad.

If anyone decides to want some of these, let me know.
I can always change them back to a split, return the split, or split some out at the pick up.

I guess we need to remain flexible with such a small, but very dedicated group of brewers (buyers) right now.

@mclardass
Something went wrong. When adding 15# of the flaked corn I ended up with 2 entries on my order, probably due to a double mouse-click. That should be only one. I cannot remove the entry, can you fix that?

Iz, will clean that up and thanks for taking one (or two) for the team
Thanks for the fix, but... now the corn split isn't included in my total due.

[EDIT]
Also, that 15# of corn hasn't been added to "claimed" column in the splits section, effectively closing it out.

Last edited:
Yes, I asked Peter to take a look. The amounts add up to a closed split but it re-opened for some reason. Experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by

@zombiepiratemonkey and anyone else looking for flaked oats.

You can get "flaked" (rolled) oats at Sam's Club (and likely Costco too). They're sold in 10# boxes of Quaker Oats brand in the cereal aisle or around there, either Old Fashioned type (my preference) or Instant Oats. Either will work fine in the mash, instant converts somewhat faster, and the kids like them (microwaved). They run ~$9 for that 10# box at Sam's, similar to a 50# sack's per pound price.

Aldi's, or any supermarket's generic Old Fashioned or Instant Oats, are typically sold in 2.5# drums at about half to 2/3 the price the "Quaker" brand goes for, 2 feet over.

Last edited:
Yes, I asked Peter to take a look. The amounts add up to a closed split but it re-opened for some reason. Experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by
Of course I did that on purpose, always beta testing... :p

No, that's just BS, the real reason is to extend the buy so you guys can close out that C60. Come on, everyone needs C60, brew more 2-Hearted IPA and Imperial Ambers (screw Flat Tires).

Joe, Fritz, I removed the split completely and created a new one. I claimed back my 30lbs. You should have the flaked corn split removed from your order.

If you guys don’t have a need for the flaked corn, we can drop it completely. I will just restart it next round. I will be fine without it till then... I am claiming more than I need as well...

Going to kick the can for a few more hours but will wrap up this evening.

I'll send out payment requests once the buy is closed and I encourage you to pay promptly. Last buy there were a couple of stragglers who held up the order and the sooner I get complete payment the sooner we can get the order placed (confession: I was guilty of that myself when Tony ran things).

Please do not send payment in advance, wait until you get my request so you have the correct, final amount.

As a note to new buyers, please send payment as friends and family and not by PayPal check otherwise there will be transaction fees and no one likes transaction fees (well, besides PayPal). Please, please, please include your HBT moniker in the payment memo to make things just a wee bit easier on me.

Closing up shop, stacking the chairs and mopping the floors.. Ah, memories of the "good" old days. Buy will close in a couple of minutes, last chance to close that 60L or anything else you can't live without.
Sláinte and g'night

Thanks to the brewers who have paid, looks like there may not be a memo section for your moniker so don't sweat it. It's a small buy this time and thanks to Peter we have a useful registration database I can use to correlate names and IDs.

Still waiting on about half the group but started coordinating with 3 Stars to get the order placed.

Enjoy your extra hour of sleeping, drinking, or whatever tonight. Sláinte!
joe

looks like there may not be a memo section for your moniker
Once I clicked on the link you had sent, to pay it, there's no memo field visible or anyway to get into it. Clicking on [Pay Now] paid it directly. It didn't even open a confirmation dialog, which I had hoped for, to enter my username info.
My payment confirmation showed the memo with what you had already entered, basically the summary of grains ordered.

I'd go by amounts paid to correlate with usernames. ;)

Thank you for coordinating this buy again.
Aside from a few moving out of the area, I don't know what happened to the rest of those 30 to 40-some regulars.

:mug:

Once I clicked on the link you had sent, to pay it, there's no memo field visible or anyway to get into it. Clicking on [Pay Now] paid it directly. It didn't even open a confirmation dialog, which I had hoped for, to enter my username info.
My payment confirmation showed the memo with what you had already entered, basically the summary of grains ordered.

I'd go by amounts paid to correlate with usernames. ;)

Thank you for coordinating this buy again.
Aside from a few moving out of the area, I don't know what happened to the rest of those 30 to 40-some regulars.

+1

Joe for simplicity, if you get the message back with the payment, maybe you can include the hbt moniker in the initial message. It should then get returned back to you when someone pays. That may do... I am working on updating the user interface as it needs some improvement and I will add users emails to the Users Totals table, to make it a bit more straightforward.

Where did everybody go?

Fritz, I don’t know how you ran into that bug yesterday. I am trying to replicate it tonight in my local environment, but it is not happening [emoji3]. Real mystery.

Cheers [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

Fritz, I don’t know how you ran into that bug yesterday. I am trying to replicate it tonight in my local environment, but it is not happening
emoji3.png
. Real mystery.
I use a mouse that tends to double click (or perhaps triple/quadruple click) at times, unintentionally. They're like a fraction of a second apart. I badly need to replace the left click switch, but it's akin surgery. Soon...

When you look in the order log at those 2 entries, they are registered 112 milliseconds apart:
  • 2019-11-01 15:15:32.15
  • 2019-11-01 15:15:32.127
Is it possible the 2nd click happened before the database got updated, which failed to return a proper out of stock error at that time?

I use a mouse that tends to double click (or perhaps triple/quadruple click) at times, unintentionally. They're like a fraction of a second apart. I badly need to replace the left click switch, but it's akin surgery. Soon...

When you look in the order log at those 2 entries, they are registered 112 milliseconds apart:
  • 2019-11-01 15:15:32.15
  • 2019-11-01 15:15:32.127
Is it possible the 2nd click happened before the database got updated, which failed to return a proper out of stock error at that time?

That’s the mystery. I see that logged in. However after the first click, the field for split id clears in the user interface, therefore the second request is for an empty space, which should not go through... That is why I cannot replicate it....

Anyway, will try and add some protection for it, not sure if it will be there for the next buy, as I am plugging in some other stuff, but maybe for the one after...

That being said, if anyone has a feature request, please post, I will look into it. Along the way there have been requests, which I can assure you have not been forgotten. Someone requested that we have price per pound on the full sacks table, which totally makes sense and I will plug that in, next time I update the website.

Cheers!

However after the first click, the field for split id clears in the user interface,
You would think so, but I've noticed, due to the double-clicking mouse, I get double posts here sometimes when clicking on the [Post Reply] button. Those clicks may be only a few milliseconds (or even less) apart. To me that means 2 commands are being send with the same information.

I really need to open that mouse and solder in a new microswitch, I have a few of them.

You probably know better than I do how dialogs "get" the information from dialog fields then, depending on settings or the program, "clear" the fields or "put" data in some or all. Getting and clearing/putting are 2 different, separate operations/processes, AFAIK.

Last edited:
I sent payment this morning. I did get a confirmation button , I missed any memo field.

Thanks guys for handling the grain buy.

Payment sent, sorry for the delay. I was out for the last half of the week. Appreciate all the effort that goes into this.

payment sent!

Just waiting on a couple of stragglers, based on the last two buys most people pay very promptly (thanks mostly everyone!). The unpaid are regulars so assume life overrules brewing, it happens. Already reached out to 3 Stars to get things moving and ensure there aren't any gotchas with the order. Will post updates once things start moving.

It feels like participation in the hobby is down in general. I know my homebrew club meetings are about half the size that they were not too long ago.

Also I paid, sorry for the delay. Sometimes HBT stops sending me new message notifications.

It feels like participation in the hobby is down in general. I know my homebrew club meetings are about half the size that they were not too long ago.

You are very much correct that interest in the hobby is down. At our club we dipped down from 30 folks at meetings in 2013 to 8-9 in 2017 before rebounding a bit after some soul searching. Hobby engagement is always a cyclical thing but after the expansion before and during the start of the craft beer boom, the new normal has taken some getting used to.

I believe the sales metrics for hobby are also down considerably in many categories.

Let's not forget the availability of an astounding selection of excellent craft beer, in many styles. Although we can often brew a keg full for the price of two 4- or 6-packs, we need time, space, dedication, and patience to see it through.

I really prefer drinking homebrew most of the time.

You may call me ignorant, but it's only been the past few years I became aware of the clear difference between beer drinkers and beer brewers. Drinkers generally don't know anything about process, ingredients, and what makes good beer good. The latest event/fundraiser where I served a NEIPA homebrew featuring 3 Australian hops, among 39 other homebrewers, underlines that perception. I concluded most drinkers don't know, or even care, what hops are or the role they play in beer. Same can be said for other ingredients... :tank:

... it's only been the past few years I became aware of the clear difference between beer drinkers and beer brewers.

I think the a degree this has always been the case, and it's not necessarily limited to beer. Plenty of people spend enormous amounts of time and money enjoying music but have no interest interest in making their own.

Prior to the craft beer boom, homebrew had the niche of being able to provide a cool product with a DIY flair. As those products have been commoditization the segment of folks that were into the hobby for access to the product has shrunk.

I think there are demographic trends in play as well leading to a decline in interest among active homebrewer (general aging and the college aged crowd having to split time with family and work obligations). It'll certainly be interesting to see what trends in the community stick over the next 5-10 years.

I also think that craft beer and to a lesser degree typical homebrew has become extremely homogeneous. The industry has become exactly what it started against, the numerous interpretations of a small set of styles over and over again, replace American pale lager with IPA.

My homebrew club participation has dropped off significantly, as well, and I think some of that is due to the general availability of good craft beers. It's the old saw horse of 'why make it yourself when you can just buy it' so people weigh time and money commitments against convenience. My household grows our own organic produce, makes everything from scratch, and spends time and money on processing raw ingredients in to a finished meal. That doesn't mean others don't want a good meal, just that they're more willing to let someone else go through the efforts, accept some compromise in quality, and spend (significantly) more for the convenience. I agree it has become homogenous but that hasn't stopped Italian chain restaurants from serving the same pasta on every corner. Yeah, stretching the analogies there o_O

Sorry for preaching to the choir, it's just been on mind a lot as I debate whether to shut down my homebrew club or make an effort to bring in new blood. Coupled with a good case of holiday heart (thanks to generous Germans while on vacation) has me on edge that I too may have to cut back on brewing and damn it I enjoy this hobby and the brewers I've met.

Well, back to business.

Thanks Ryan, no worries as I know you're a regular. I placed the order yesterday and am just waiting to hear back from 3 Stars at this point, I'll update everyone once I hear back.

Sorry for preaching to the choir, it's just been on mind a lot as I debate whether to shut down my homebrew club or make an effort to bring in new blood.
Recruiting is an essential part for any club to remain in existence. It's up to all the members to find new blood to carry on part of the mission. My main club is fairly active, we have a style oriented competition at each meeting, judged hedonistically and get between 25 and 40 members at each monthly meeting. We have events, parties, fundraisers/beer events for non-profits, collaborations with other clubs, etc.

Now I must admit, a lot of the groundwork is laid by a very small group of regulars, but we've been able to attract quite a few new members who became part of that core quickly.

Back