DC Area Group Buy #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone participating in this buy live to the west of DC like Fairfax, Manassas, Gainesville, or maybe even further? I am interested in joining in for this buy but I will be out of town the end of May. If anyone could pick up for me I would happily chip in for your gas or send a few home brews your way. Thanks.

Would anyone be interested in some Flaked Oats? If not Oats, what about Flaked Rye?

costco has flaked oats way cheaper than any brewery shop.

I split a 50# sack of flaked oats last buy and it ran $.89 a pound. That's pretty much on par with Shoppers and Aldi's store brand, minus their cardboard drums. I eat a lot of oats and use it in bread baking. I use some in brewing :D

It looks like Costco has "Quaker" brand for $.92 a pound by the 10# bag. For an identifying brand that's probably as good as it gets.

I am going to stick to my normal pilsner and a little Vienna mix for my Kolsc's this summer. So given no interest on the schill kolsch malt i would like to pull that split if there are no objections

I split a 50# sack of flaked oats last buy and it ran $.89 a pound. That's pretty much on par with Shoppers and Aldi's store brand, minus their cardboard drums. I eat a lot of oats and use it in bread baking. I use some in brewing :D

It looks like Costco has "Quaker" brand for $.92 a pound by the 10# bag. For an identifying brand that's probably as good as it gets.

and thats what I get for posting without thinking :)

I'll take the following:

3262C Rice Hulls 50 lb Bag (I won't make someone split something like that up)

I'll take 10# Rahr White Wheat 50 lb RAH1008 existing split

Thanks

I'll take the following:

3262C Rice Hulls 50 lb Bag (I won't make someone split something like that up)

I'll take 10# Rahr White Wheat 50 lb RAH1008 existing split

Thanks

Both added.
And it closes the White Wheat split.

That's a lot of hulls!
If you change your mind and decide to split, let us know. We have one of those slated for splits already. It's going to be fun.

Not that I want to split something like this, but I need to order some soon. A while back Masonsjax sent me in the right direction and DudaDiesel does seem to have the best price on it. For one bottle, shipping is as much as the product, so any additional items ship virtually for free, as long as they can be shipped together.
If anyone else is in the market for a quart of it, or anything else they have, I could add it to the order.

Not that I want to split something like this, but I need to order some soon. A while back Masonsjax sent me in the right direction and DudaDiesel does seem to have the best price on it. For one bottle, shipping is as much as the product, so any additional items ship virtually for free, as long as they can be shipped together.
If anyone else is in the market for a quart of it, or anything else they have, I could add it to the order.

I bought a gallon back in March from DudaDiesel for ~$33. I've only used around 100 mL. I dilute it down to 10% and store it in a 1 L pyrex screw-top bottle. I'd be more than happy to bring it out to the next grain buy to get some off of my hands.

I'd be happy to sale it for $5/500 mL.

I bought a gallon back in March from DudaDiesel for ~$33. I've only used around 100 mL. I dilute it down to 10% and store it in a 1 L pyrex screw-top bottle. I'd be more than happy to bring it out to the next grain buy to get some off of my hands.

That's a mighty nice offer from you, I will most likely take you up on that. 500ml goes a long, long way. Thank you!

While on site I couldn't resist browsing other offerings. Then I stumbled upon Nitric Acid carrying a totally mind-boggling price. We're looking at a very common industrial acid here... :drunk:

Strange how a biodiesel site (with some solar products) sells mostly food grade or higher spec chems.

I would take some, as well. Price is fair!

Well if anybody wants rice hulls I am willing to split. You can set it up as a split, put me down for half and whatever doesn't get picked up I will take.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sorry folks, probably going to have to give this round a miss. Can't make the collection with visitors in town that weekend. Plus it doesn't look like anyone else is biting on the Vienna split and I don't need 55lb of the stuff.

Apologies!

Hope some of you guys make it up for Beer Bacon and Music. I am part of the FOAM contingent of judges and we are judging the IPAs, Pale Ales, and Porters. Also don't forget about Frederick Beer Week the first week of June.

Well if anybody wants rice hulls I am willing to split. You can set it up as a split, put me down for half and whatever doesn't get picked up I will take.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Great idea! It's a split now, you're on for 25#.

Sorry folks, probably going to have to give this round a miss. Can't make the collection with visitors in town that weekend. Plus it doesn't look like anyone else is biting on the Vienna split and I don't need 55lb of the stuff.

Apologies!

I don't think the actual date is firm yet, we still have two date options in May.
Do you want to leave 'em up until we know for sure or just remove them anyway?

The first date I definitely can't make and the second is rather tricky. I'll throw in on Number 9...

When do we pay

I think I've mentioned this twice already. Payments are due on the Friday when the buy closes. That's a week and a day before pickup.

Don't pay too early, like weeks in advance, things can change. All info is in the Original Post (#1) of this thread.

Off topic: Anyone here brew with Rockville City water? I can't for the life of me find a water report that has anything besides toxin content. I emailed the address on the city website for the water superintendent and it bounced...

I'm eager to get in on this group buy, but May's all booked up. Definitely looking forward to #9 as well.

Thanks!

Off topic: Anyone here brew with Rockville City water? I can't for the life of me find a water report that has anything besides toxin content. I emailed the address on the city website for the water superintendent and it bounced...

I'm eager to get in on this group buy, but May's all booked up. Definitely looking forward to #9 as well.

Thanks!

You can always try ward labs for your water:
https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can always try ward labs for your water:
https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.aspx

I wonder if you send your own labeled bottle, you can still get this test done (May 2013):

W-5A Brewers Test .................................................................................$27.25
Sodium Nitrate Total Hardness (Lime)
Calcium Carbonate Total Alkalinity
Magnesium Bicarbonate Iron
Potassium Sulfate Phosphorus
Chloride Electrical Conductivity
pH Est. Total Dissolved Solids

Instead of getting the Ward test, I called the water authority in my county (Anne Arundel) and was directed to "Water Operations" and spoke with a very knowledgeable gentleman in charge of "water quality issues."

From him I got all the data I was looking for (Bru'n water spreadsheet) and the nitty gritty on where my tap water is actually sourced from. Plus he guarantee no chloramines are being used, and none of the county's water comes from open reservoirs (like Baltimore City/County), only deep local wells.

It could still leave a few question marks as to any change of water composition by the time it gets to my faucets, such as where iron or lead pipes are used. I don't think that's an issue here, the water is soft and tastes fine, except for chlorine, and it's worse during the summer. So Campden tablets take easy care of that.

The water companies don't have to report the mineral composition beyond what is federally required (EPA), but they have the analysis data, and I'm sure they test it more than once a year.

I wonder if you send your own labeled bottle, you can still get this test done (May 2013):

W-5A Brewers Test .................................................................................$27.25
Sodium Nitrate Total Hardness (Lime)
Calcium Carbonate Total Alkalinity
Magnesium Bicarbonate Iron
Potassium Sulfate Phosphorus
Chloride Electrical Conductivity
pH Est. Total Dissolved Solids

Instead of getting the Ward test, I called the water authority in my county (Anne Arundel) and was directed to "Water Operations" and spoke with a very knowledgeable gentleman in charge of "water quality issues."

From him I got all the data I was looking for (Bru'n water spreadsheet) and the nitty gritty on where my tap water is actually sourced from. Plus he guarantee no chloramines are being used, and none of the county's water comes from open reservoirs (like Baltimore City/County), only deep local wells.

It could still leave a few question marks as to any change of water composition by the time it gets to my faucets, such as where iron or lead pipes are used. I don't think that's an issue here, the water is soft and tastes fine, except for chlorine, and it's worse during the summer. So Campden tablets take easy care of that.

The water companies don't have to report the mineral composition beyond what is federally required (EPA), but they have the analysis data, and I'm sure they test it more than once a year.

Yes, you can!

yes, in fact i've only ever brewed with R'ville city water :D

detailed water report: http://www.wsscwater.com/home/jsp/misc/genericTapWaterAnalysisReports.faces

we're on the potomac, not patuxent, plant so see second half of the report.

you're welcome :mug:

Unfortunately (at least for finding out about the water online) I'm in the part of Rockville that isn't serviced by the WSSC.

Or were you implying that since all of Rockville is watered from the Potomac that it'd be the same? I'm wondering how valid that is. I'm pretty sure the mains are all connected, so maybe?

If no one has the info I'll call the city and pay to get it tested if that fails.

Thanks for the link though!

Unfortunately (at least for finding out about the water online) I'm in the part of Rockville that isn't serviced by the WSSC.
well, crap. there i was, thinking that i had swooped in and saved the day. thanks for dashing my superhero delusions.

who does provide your water? whereabouts are you in R'ville?

Or were you implying that since all of Rockville is watered from the Potomac that it'd be the same? I'm wondering how valid that is. I'm pretty sure the mains are all connected, so maybe?

i wouldn't assume it's the same... so maybe those numbers are better than nothing, but i'd continue trying to get your specific water report.

The Ward Labs Household Minerals Test W-6 gives you everything you need for $10 less than W-5A. That other test might be of use to pro brewers, giving far more than you need for BrunWater

Hey all, also off topic (sorry about that) but Brian and Jill at Nepenthe Homebrew Shop in Baltimore experienced severe flood damage two nights ago. The scheduled Big Brew this weekend has been pre-empted by a cleanup effort. If you are in or near the Baltimore area, you may know that Brian and Jill are friendly, helpful, and generally great people. If you live in Bmore an are free, stop by this Saturday to give them a hand!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back