DC Area Group Buy #11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plastic bags is what we generally use, do bring some of those- especially the thicker kind. Bucket are good too if you get there early to do the splitting.

No fancy bags, we use grocery bags, and yes the thicker the better. Let's raid Wegmans checkouts.

Now Keith often brings a large stack of plastic buckets with screw lids for us to keep, but it doesn't sound like he's able to make it this time. Unless someone picks them up from his house, we're stuck bagging everything, so we do need bags.

I'll bring all I have, including leftovers from last time. We've got 94 splits, that's more than ever before, so maybe people can bring some of those buckets back, mostly for the larger split quantities 10-20 pounds.

If I understand you correctly, you'll take 5# of Carafa II but let the wheat malt go for next buy?

Not sure about claphamsa, if he wants the wheat malt now or wait till next time.

But you'll get last 5# of flaked wheat at the end, if no-one else wants it.

ill take carafa, someone else can have the wheat if they want it!

I'll claim the last 5# of wheat malt, closing it out (and bringing my wheat malt total to 10#).

If it isn't claimed, I'll also take responsibility for the last 5# of flaked wheat since it's my open split...unless claphamsa actually wants it and you're not just claiming it to help close it.

Thanks!

OK, you get the last 5# of wheat malt.

ill take carafa, someone else can have the wheat if they want it!

And you get 5# of Carafa II.

When is pickup slated to occur? I may have a bag or three to add if it works in my favor.

Do they still have bags of Optic, as well?

Oh, I'm an idiot. I didn't think I had gotten in on this. I really don't need two sacks of Pils. I want to drop the Rahr, keep the Weyermann. Money for the Weyermann on the way.

Current Status:
58 sacks, 2 of those are open splits with only 15# to go. We're almost there.

We need help to close those last 2 splits. Please see if you can take some.

2 Open splits:
  • Weyermann D-Husked Carafa II 10#
  • Flaked White Wheat 5#

I'll take 5# of dehusked carafa II :) might take me a while to burn through it, but I'll use it!! Frits, I just paid you for my previous balance + the price of 5# carafa ii

I'll take 5# of dehusked carafa II :) might take me a while to burn through it, but I'll use it!! Frits, I just paid you for my previous balance + the price of 5# carafa ii

Added 5# of Carafa II DH.

Received your payment, thanks!

Current Splits Status:

Carafa II - 5# left. Who wants it?

If no one wants the remaining 5# of the Carafa II I will take them to close the split.

I hate to see you get "stuck" with 20# of dark roast. I have 7 pounds of DH Carafa III from our last buy and man, a little goes a long way.

I was thinking of using it in my coffee. :mug:

So, anyone else out there who wants some Carafa II?
5 hours left.

Is anyone interested in an hop exchange? I've got some bulk 2013 crop Columbus, Willamette, and Cascade in the freezer (vacuum sealed and frozen since I got them). I'll use them eventually but if someone wanted to swap I'd be up for it. Doesn't have to be 1-to-1.

6 oz Cascade (8.2% AA) - sealed in 1/2 oz increments
6 oz Columbus (17.8% AA) - sealed in 1/2 oz increments
13 oz Willamette (4.3% AA) - sealed in 1 oz increments

All funds accounted for except Kisejohn's. Have until midnight to get PayPal in.

CORRECTION:

All funds had been received. I was checking email vice going to PayPal. Somehow I did not get Kisejohn's payment emailed to me from PayPal, and the way I have been checking payments is I have all email from PayPal go to my current Group Buy folder. Makes it easy for me and has always worked in the past. Guess I need to change my methodology. Apologies to Kirk if this gave you any heartburn!

Easiest buy to date!! Thanks to everyone who paid early and on time as this was the first time Frits and I did not have to track money down (at least legitimately! :);)

So next step is I will send the order in this morning and it will get placed. Hopefully all sacks will arrive, but please be prepared mentally if your grain does not arrive...I know the Pils I ordered on this buy we got 2 buys back but were unable to get last buy, so I am buying ahead of the need. Recommend you do that as well, keep a stock, so you can weather shortages/outages of malt. Seems like it has been over half of the recent buys we got shorted something. And as usual, if something shorts you will be refunded via PayPal immediately.

OK, sit back and relax until 14 FEB. Check back here for news occasionally between now and then. To prepare for the buy, please consider the following:

* Splits - if you want to help out, let Frits know in advance! We have a lot of splits and we need about 10-12 people.
* Splits Equipment - if you can help, scales, folding tables, small buckets, scoops all are helpful. Ideally we have 5-6 splitting stations setup and manned with two person teams.
* Splits Supplies - grocery bags and large ziplock bags are needed; at a minimum bring enough for YOUR splits and if you have extras, well this is a community effort so this a chance for you to pitch in! If you have larger splits > 10# you should consider bringing buckets, but get there early with them because Frits has splitting down to a science and the teams work fast under his guidance (not to mention we have a few splitters who are experts and help out more often than not! Thanks guys!)
* Splits Runner - I would like to have one person help the split teams by taking all the splits and organizing them by HBT name. Makes it easier on the split teams as they can concentrate on splitting and easier for the buyers to locate all their stuff.
* Full sacks - come see me for full sacks. Do not take grain without seeing me and both of us agreeing you got the right sack(s). With all the moving parts, beer talk, etc. it is easy to confuse bags of malts so we must get this right! I will check you off a list and ask you to verify the info on the list matches the info on the malt sack, and I will double check it.
* Splits - Please ensure you check with Frits or me before you leave. We have had people pay for full sacks and splits, take one or the other, and leave malt behind. You don't like leaving it and I don't like having to take it home and hope to one day return it to you...
* Procedure - Splitting and organizing the grain is hectic, lots of people, lots of movement and coordination. Please be sure to come on time, help where you can, share a brew you are proud of or want feedback on, bring supplies if you can or a homebrew for Frits to enjoy after he gets home, cuz he deserves it! Help our friends at 3 Stars out by snagging some hops, yeast, etc from their HBS or staying after the buy is over and grabbing a growler of their beer! Socializing and community are a big part of the grain buy, so don't be afraid to stick around and talk beer with the group!! Cheers all!

Tony

+1 ^ Amen!

This was indeed the smoothest buy so far, not having to track anyone down last minute for payment and having splits unravel at the most inopportune time, hours before the order goes in.

I propose:
Payment for the splits is due a week before the order goes in. That gives us a week to iron out any wrinkles that may occur. You can still add more splits or split amounts to your account during that last week, just pay them right away. Not much is worse in splits land than a person in limbo with 10 splits on his/her account the day of closing. That hurts all of us.

Distribution:
As Tony said, we will be overseeing the distribution a lot more closely so everyone leaves exactly with what they ordered. And a great idea to have a splits runner rounding up the bags and buckets.

Those who have ordered larger quantities of a split (10# or 15# and up) please bring buckets and come early so we can actually use them to put your splits in. As usual, the person with the largest quantity in a split ends up with the original sack.

I just added a sack of Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter to the order. Hopefully Al or Jason, whichever is picking up, can grab it. If not, I can come down I suppose.

I just added a sack of Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter to the order. Hopefully Al or Jason, whichever is picking up, can grab it. If not, I can come down I suppose.

Tony,

Just sent you payment for another addition. Sorry... I can't wait for a response from 3 Stars about the Optic or I may miss the opportunity for the second bag on this buy...

As such, I just added a bag of Simpsons Golden Promise.

That makes:

1x Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter
1x Simpsons Golden Promise
5# of Flaked Wheat split

Payments sent for whole sacks and 5# split..

Thanks for allowing the last minute adjustments, bud.

OK that is it...no more additions folks...spreadsheet is out to the buyer and we are waiting to hear back from him that order was placed. Looking forward to meeting the new folks and seeing some old friends at 3 stars in 2 weeks! Cheers!

Tony

I cross the Potomac on 15 4-5 times a week (depending on how many days I work) so if you can't find anyone else to pick up your stuff, give me a holler. (I assume Point of Rocks is accurate for your location)

I cross the Potomac on 15 4-5 times a week (depending on how many days I work) so if you can't find anyone else to pick up your stuff, give me a holler. (I assume Point of Rocks is accurate for your location)

Yup, POR. Will let you know and thanks for the offer!!

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Just heard from 3 Stars that the following malts will NOT be available on this buy (supplier is out of stock):

Gleneagles Maris Otter
Patagonia Extra Pale Malt
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner

They are currently out of stock on Weyermann Pilsner as well but think they will get that in Tuesday so it should be in on time for our order. I cannot get to Google Drive from work to see who is affected and send emails, so if Frits or someone else can that would be great. There are other Marris Otter and Pale Malts available if you would like to switch brands, otherwise I can refund you.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Just heard from 3 Stars that the following malts will NOT be available on this buy (supplier is out of stock):

Gleneagles Maris Otter

They are currently out of stock on Weyermann Pilsner as well but think they will get that in Tuesday so it should be in on time for our order. I cannot get to Google Drive from work to see who is affected and send emails, so if Frits or someone else can that would be great. There are other Marris Otter and Pale Malts available if you would like to switch brands, otherwise I can refund you.

None of the splits are affected with these absences. :rockin:

But these buyers have one or more whole sacks of these on order: :(

burning_ties:
Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter

DrunkleJon:

German_HB_Baltimore:

reddskinnfan:

xcdarrel17

So let us know ASAP if you want to substitute.

Latest posts

Back