DC Area Group Buy #11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those who offer to help with splits, thank you, we can really use all the help we can get. Teams of two works most efficiently.

We start the splits around 10am, an hour before the pickup begins.

I will bring two folding tables. See you Saturday.

Any update on the Bohemian Pilsner?

I haven't heard a thing about any of those "2nd round sacks." They should receive shipment Thursday, from what I heard. I guess we'll find out eventually. If that Munich and Vienna don't come in we'll lose 5 sacks for splits too.

I can be there at 10, but I don't have a scale or table that would be of much use.

Anything else I could try to bring?

I can be there at 10, but I don't have a scale or table that would be of much use.

Anything else I could try to bring?

Yes, please come early and help. You have a lot of splits for yourself so you can get some hands-on there.

I'm bringing a small 11# scale, and table. But I won't do any weighting or bagging, this time. I'll concentrate on coordinating the splits, 97 is an all-time record, and do sign offs at the gate. We don't want people leaving with the wrong stuff.

I have about 40 shopping bags, and we can always use more.

We should know tomorrow afternoon most likely what if anything missed the boat. Soon as I hear, I will post it.

Frits, I was thinking about the 3 week thing too, but I want to talk it over more with you and Mike. I think 2 weeks is probably okay...there will always be a time when things are not available, and that could go on for a month...but let's talk about it Sat.

Cheers!

Yeah, let's keep those fingers crossed hoping for all the grain to be there.

Exactly! Although 3 weeks makes sense to us, it ultimately boils down to when BSG is actually pulling the order and finds something missing. That could happen any time. I have the feeling when 3 Stars places the order, inventory at BSG isn't polled or reserved until they start processing and filling it. Let's talk about that Saturday.

I checked my kitchen scale and it'll do 5 lbs so I'll bring it along as I see a smattering of 5 lbs portions on the split chart. What type of bags are you looking for to do the splits?

I checked my kitchen scale and it'll do 5 lbs so I'll bring it along as I see a smattering of 5 lbs portions on the split chart. What type of bags are you looking for to do the splits?

Yeah, bring it along, but you may see that 5# capacity is cumbersome. By the time you put a bucket on it, it won't have much weight left.

Teams of 2 work the best. One weights while the other bags and labels. We split by bag, which means you also measure 10s and 15s if they're in there. You'll understand within 5 minutes.

The bags we use are the ones you get at the grocery store checkout. My wife is good at swiping a few extras for the cause.

I provide pre-printed labels.

Hey unfortunately I'm not gonna make it but my brother can make it there to pick up my splits. he will have bags and what not, if that doesn't work let me know I will be back in town on wednesday.

Hey unfortunately I'm not gonna make it but my brother can make it there to pick up my splits. he will have bags and what not, if that doesn't work let me know I will be back in town on wednesday.

Is he also picking up for emyers then?
Bringing bags is always good!

Let me also take the opportunity to do a roll call for those going to help with the splits and distribution. 24 sacks to be split into 97.

We've got down:
stonebrewer - whole sacks distro
IslandLizard - splits distro

Splits team:
BrewSavage - folding table
Captain Al - Scale
reddskinnfan - 50# Scale
hannibalmdq - 5# scale
German_HB_Baltimore - 2 folding tables
DrunkleJon - Scale

I'll bring a table and an 11# scale as usual

Anyone else going to be there by 10 am? Please raise your hand. We need help with all those splits.

I'll be there like always, but i'll be pi$$ed if I don't get my Light Munich.:mad:

35# scale, no table

Last edited:
I'll be there like always, but i'll be pi$$ed if I don't get my Light Munich.:mad:

Let's hope they made it onto the 2nd delivery... no word so far.

I just checked my digital scale. It weighs up to 11 lbs. Should I bring it along?

Yeah they'll work fine. Weight 2x for anything over 10# and under 20.

I'm planning to be there by 10am.

I got the buckets from Keith (thanks, bud)! 16 of the 3.5gal variety. They are good for 15-20# worth of grain each.

That will help us for the larger cuts. :rockin:

Thanks guys, you've been added to the list.

We've got down:
stonebrewer - whole sacks distro
IslandLizard - splits distro

Splits team:
BrewSavage - folding table
CaptainAl - 75# Scale + table
reddskinnfan - 50# Scale
hannibalmdq - 5# scale
German_HB_Baltimore - 2 tables + 11# scale
DrunkleJon - Scale
robfar - Scale + table ?
masonsjax

I'll bring a table and an 11# scale as usual.

Anyone else going to be there by 10 am? Please raise your hand. We need help with all those splits. At least one more team.

I will be there by 10am as well and bringing a folding table along with my 75# digital scale and reddskinnfan :)

Oh yeah, I am bringing my pickup so if anyone in the Frederick area needs their grains grabbed too....just let me know.

I will be there by 10am as well and bringing a folding table along with my 75# digital scale and reddskinnfan :)

Oh yeah, I am bringing my pickup so if anyone in the Frederick area needs their grains grabbed too....just let me know.

Aye aye, Captain!

Got it, one piece swim-suits only. Is an open back okay or too racy?

I forgot I have a long foldout table I used to use for brew days in the basement. Do we need another table for the splits?

I'll defer the swimsuit questions unless they have to do with females'.

So far we have 5 or 6 tables on count. That should be enough. Plus there's one table at the brewery we've been using.

We do need shopping bags though...

I talked to Mike via email and he said our second shipment did not come in THUR but he did say the truck has been coming in late on FRI. No status since then...I think the worst case is that it will come in next week...which would be a b-e-o-t-c-h for us to deal with. Keep fingers crossed that all made it today. I probably have 20 pounds of light Munich and Vienna so if the sacks don't show and you were planning a brew day soon, let me know and I can bring some with me tomorrow.

I really hope so... I would have just picked up another bag of Optic when there today if I knew the M.O. wasn't there...

That said, I am keeping fingers crossed and hoping the beer Gods shine down on us all.

If the bags for this aren't there tomorrow, how are we gonna do this? I work in DC, so it isn't an issue for me, per se. However, others may not be as flexible...

I may just pick up another sack of Optic while there tomorrow, after all. I think they had 5 or 6 left after I picked up some.

Tony,
I've got about 9 pounds of Light Munich committed to the next two week's brews. If my grain doesn't show tomorrow I'll be paying LHBS prices. :( If you can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Rob: I will toss the sack of Light Munich in the truck just in case...

Think I have a few bags of other people's grain...will try to locate and toss those in the truck too in case they show up.

See you guys in the AM!

Hey all, I don't know if anybody's going to respond this soon before the pick up, but I ordered Maris otter in the original shipment. Did that make it in? Sounds like yes. I guess I'll find out in a few hours.

From what I understand the Crisp MO made it from the beginning. It was their GlenEagles MO that was back ordered.

Labels are printed, car is ready to load, see you there!

Latest posts

Back