Darn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon91

Reaction score
My starter kit just got delivered about an hour ago and is missing the hydrometer. I had planned on brewing tomorrow too. Oh well first ever brew session will have to wait until next week, time for a beer.
:mug:

Eh, if it's an extract kit then I say just go ahead a brew it :D

As long as your volume is correct then OG will be pretty much what the kit says it is. Just yell at them and they should send you the hydrometer before fermentation is even complete.

Exactly. As long as volume is right, and this is presuming you will brewing extract, your OG will be correct to the instructions give or take a couple of points, say +- .005 (this is within margins of error, IMO)
Call them and tell them you're missing it, maybe they will send it out next day delivery (call as early as you can, to maximize time to process) but worst case, it'll still be there before you need to test 2 - 3 weeks down the line when you bottle.

Ya I sent them an email about 30min after it was delivered hah. I also realized with an extract kit it wouldn't matter that much I just figured since it would be my first brew I should get accustomed to the whole process and the necessary steps.

I forget to take readings on beers all the time. Well, "all" is relative. Just follow the recipe and make a beer. I would rather forget to take OG (or not have a hydrometer to do so) than to forget sanitation or 'gasp' forget to dump in my vorlauf (happened once :x )

The only gravity readings that really matter are the ones at the end to make sure fermentation is finished (same reading over 3 days). Yes, it is good to know your gravities, though with extract brews it is pretty much guaranteed that you will hit your OG. Of all things to be missing from your kit, the hydrometer is probably the one the matters least for the actual brew day, well aside from bottling gear.

Welcome to the addiction.

If you really really want an O.G. reading, just pull off a small sample (about 1 cup) when you transfer from the kettle to the fermenter. Refrigerate this, and just take the reading when the hydrometer shows up.

I brewed my first extract without a hydrometer. I just waited for the bubbles to stop and waited a few more days. Got a little lucky, I'll admit.

But I like the suggestion of saving a sample. Or worst case, you could still get a FG to see if ferm has stopped. You just won't know your ABV.

Latest posts

Back