"Darker than the lowest bowels of hell" - Aussie Barleywine Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markusreadus

Reaction score
Hi All,

Here in Australia we have a craft brewery called HopDog Beerworks. They make the SuperBeast2015, this year's celebration of their continued existence. This beer is fantastic, I'd love to make it, and I'm asking for your expert community's help in assessing what i have come up with.

Their description is quite creative. Described as nestled uncomfortably between an India Black Ale, an Imperial Stout and a Black Barleywine, this incredibly dark brew is fantastic. I'd like to recreate it, but have only brewed 18 batches thus far - not very experienced.

I've had a great time, drinking the Superbeast, an Imperial Porter and an Russian Imperial Stout to try and get some perspective. Superbeast is described as 10.5%, with +100IBUs. It pours dark and thick, has a dark tan head that retains well but not indefinitely. There's a deep malt and sweetness to the smell, subtly hiding some fresh piney hops, with a tad of citrus too. There's coffee and some dark chocolate; these are definitely present, but it's not overpowering. In fact the whole deal is very balanced. It's not as harshly bitter as many double IPAs, and despite being described as "uncomfortable", is in fact very well constructed - I don't get the same confused flavours that I detect off a black or even red IPA. The hops are not that overpowering. I see this as more a light but very strong stout, it's powerful but not too intense in any particular characteristic.

It's described as having an "unholy trio of American and Galaxy hops". Hop's wise, I get a very fresh piney citrus smell. Definitely not orange (not Amarillo), and I doubt citra. No mint either. I think, based largely on online hop profile descriptions, Galaxy, Simcoe & Chinook.

Here we go (forgive me, I'm metric):

19L batch, boiled down from 22.5L.
72% efficiency.
OG: 1.103
FG: 1.022
104 IBUs
49 SRM
Prime to 2.0Vol/L

(82%) 7700g Pale 2 row
(7%) 680g Roasted Barley
(5%) 450g Special B Malt
(4%) 340g Chocolate Malt