Help with my first attempt at nn American Barleywine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
If got a weeks leave booked so time to brew something up and big brews being as labor intense as they can be I thought I would take the opportunity whilst off work to have a crack at a barleywine

This will be a 2.5 Gallon batch (for mini-keg). I am looking a producing something with a dry finish, light caramel and malty qualities, with a creamy texture and stone fruit and tropical fruit flavors and a high AVB/alcohol flavor and significant hop aroma/flavor

The following stock is available to me

malts

18lbs maris otter low color
2lb Vienna
1lb wheat malt
2lb amber malt
1lb pale chocolate
1lb rye malt
1lb melanoidin malt
1lb british caramel malt 12L
1lb simpsons naked golden oats 10L
2lb flaked barley
2lb flaked wheat
2lb flaked maize

Flavor/aroma Hops

significant quantities of (>3.5oz)

Chinook
Centennial
Simcoe
Mosaic
amarillo
galaxy

Bittering hops

Warrior
Magnum

I also have a vial of WLP090 and 2lb of extra light Muntons extract.

This is what I was thinking

15.5Lbs Maris otter low color
0.75lbs Melanoidin Malt
0.5lbs Simpsons naked oats
0.5lbs flaked maize
0.25lbs flaked barley

1.25oz Warrior @ 60min =96 IBU's BU/SG =0.885

hopstand
1oz Amarillo
0.5oz Galaxy

Dry hop
1oz Amarillo
0.5oz Galaxy

Mash at 150F for 2 hours, step to 160F and leave over night.

Next day single batch sparge with extended vorlauf.

2 hour extended boil to concentrate wort to final gravity

Aerate with O2 and Pitch 1.5bil/ml/p of WLP090, aerate a second time at 12 hours.

Ferment at 62F to start and ramp to 71 from day 3 to day 5.

At 60% mash eff. SG 1.110
Est FG 1.015

I find that FG difficult to believe, so I would expect to finish higher even with the corn.

Thoughts? especially welcome regarding hop additions and fermentation temperature

The best barleywines I've seen keep the grainbill as simple as possible. Maris Otter, some Vienna or Munich, and *maybe* a touch of aromatic, melanoidin, or golden naked oats malt. Wouldn't use any flaked adjunct, and I wouldn't touch fruity hops either. The C hops pair wonderfully with WLP090. Big bittering, small hopstand, and small dry hop (when the beer has matured) are all that it takes to make a great barleywine.

Using beersmith, I put in 60% efficiency for a 3.0 gallon batch (assuming you'll lose .5 gallons as trub).

OG: 1.110
FG: 1.018
SRM: 11.4
IBU: 88

11lbs Maris Otter
2lbs Flaked barley
1lb Amber malt
1lb GNO

1.25oz Warrior (15%) - 120 minutes
1oz Mosaic @ flame out
1oz Galaxy @ flame out
1oz Mosaic dry hop
1oz Galaxy dry hop

If you're going for tropical fruit I'd use the mosaic/galaxy. The other hops like centennial or amarillo will be citrus/pine/floral. The rest of your process like mash schedule, yeast starter, etc looks good.

Thanks guys. I really wanted to use Amarillo because there are a few barleywines that use it which I like. However I don't want to pair it with simcoe because I do that a lot.

I am thinking Amarillo and chinook might be a good combo, or possibly Amarillo or mosaic.

As for the grain bill I'll I will drop the corn and barley to simplify

Ok I had a look through my freezer this morning and found 4oz of Citra.

So am currently thinking armarillo/citra 2:1.

I am also gonna sub the gno for caramel 10L. I have never used gno before so I will use them in a pale ale instead.

I am going to keep the corn in, my favorite barleywine is three floyds majsgoop which is basically behemoth with corn. I like the quality is gives.

So its looking something like

18lb Maris otter low color
1.5lb flaked maize
0.75lb melanoidin malt
0.25lb caramel 10L

1.25oz warrior
1oz Amarillo hopstand
0.5oz citra hopstand
1oz Amarillo dry hop
0.5oz citra dry hop

Majsgoop is also pretty heavily hopped too.

I'm a little confused like salty I think. Grain bill looks very high. In brewersfriend, 18lbs of marris alone, at 60% efficiency, gives 1.136 og. And the way you intend to mash seems it would yield higher efficiency imo. Unless I'm missing something I think you might exceed your og with the recipe.

I do really like Amber malt in big beers, gives character while not being overwhelming. I think melanoidin malt might be too much.

I'm a little confused like salty I think. Grain bill looks very high. In brewersfriend, 18lbs of marris alone, at 60% efficiency, gives 1.136 og. And the way you intend to mash seems it would yield higher efficiency imo. Unless I'm missing something I think you might exceed your og with the recipe.

When I get home I'll plug it into beer smith.

Previous experience has taught me that its hard work to even get 60% on a beer this big.

I am also not to worried about going over on my OG, as I will just simply adjust hopping rate and boil time on the day and bottle the additional volume.

I do really like Amber malt in big beers, gives character while not being overwhelming. I think melanoidin malt might be too much.

I like amber malt if used judiciously, problem I find is it a little tricky.

As for this beer it's not where I want to go, I want caramel and malty flavour, not biscuit/roasty. Hence the reason I have avoided darker crystal malts.

I love melanoidin in big beers

This is what I currently have in beersmith, apologies for the off measure but its converted from metric. Also the volume needs to be in L because beersmith doesn't convert volume just subsitutes units so 10L becomes 10G. Anyhow it look like the 18Lbs earlier is a mistake on my part.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 24.35 l
Post Boil Volume: 14.35 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 l
Bottling Volume: 8.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.103 SG
Estimated Color: 17.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 90.7 IBUs
Est Mash Efficiency: 60.7 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients: