darkening up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drvodka

Reaction score
hey lads n ladies
so my first brew has been in the secondary (glass carboy) for exactly a week now. bubbling is all but done and the gelatin I added seems to have pulled tons of the yeast out of solution.
having never done this before it was interesting to me to note the distinct change in colour from when I first racked it over, to now. it started as a hazy, lighter tan colour (obviously the suspended yeast) but now its changed to a really rich, dark bronze given that most of the yeast have fallen out (tons of it visible in the bottom).
this isnt really a question, more of an observation, but I'm assuming this is the general pattern for most brews?
what a great hobby.
my second batch is almost done in the primary now too - i'm going to need to get a bunch of friends around to help me drink all this as I am so keen to brew more and more new recipes that I dont think I'll have time to drink the others!
:p

drvodka said:
i'm going to need to get a bunch of friends around to help me drink all this as I am so keen to brew more and more new recipes that I dont think I'll have time to drink the others!
:p
Don't worry...Friends come out of the woodwork when they find out you're making beer. :D

Yes, DrV, your pattern is pretty typical for a golden beer... they start out looking like coffee and cream, and settle out into a dark bronze in carboy and you think "Jeeez, is this ever dark!!??". Once you see the beer in the syphon tube when bottling, you think "Jeeez is this ever light!!??" and then 3 weeks later you pour a glass, and it's beeeautiful.

This is a fun hobby, and it's all a guy can do to not brew every week, and just take up the whole house. However, finding ways to dipose of brew is really the least of your worries. And the fact is, it's awful easy to drink around 1 L per day all on your lonesome.

Sasquatch said:
This is a fun hobby, and it's all a guy can do to not brew every week, and just take up the whole house. However, finding ways to dipose of brew is really the least of your worries. And the fact is, it's awful easy to drink around 1 L per day all on your lonesome.

heheheh - well then I need to start doing some running! The girlfriend doesnt mind the brewing, she thinks it's great - but she will mind if the pounds start packing on :)

Sasquatch said:
Time for a new girl, DrV.

i wont tell her you said that! no, she's great, really enjoys me doing the homebrewing, but I need to compensate by doing a little exercize :)

drvodka said:
i wont tell her you said that! no, she's great, really enjoys me doing the homebrewing, but I need to compensate by doing a little exercize :)

Somebody kick this guy out of the forum. He's polluting our sanctuary with the guilt he's trying to inflict on us.

Go find a fitness forum, Joggy! :)

timdsmith72 said:
Don't worry...Friends come out of the woodwork when they find out you're making beer. :D

Yeah, sure. They will the first time, but then when they taste a really bad batch they won't exactly come running back. I fed my friends the first batch I made (IPA) and they're suspect of my beer now.

Cheesefood said:
Yeah, sure. They will the first time, but then when they taste a really bad batch they won't exactly come running back. I fed my friends the first batch I made (IPA) and they're suspect of my beer now.

thats possibly a very good strategy!

Absolutely dead on strategy. I gave my buddies a bottle of really green stuff - kinda flat, kinda sharp tasting.... and they haven't really swarmed around for more.

Latest posts

Back