Dark Strong Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a 3-gallon Recipe for a Belgian Dark Strong Ale that will use some local honey instead of candi sugar. The honey will make up 17% of the fermentables.

OG - 1.080
IBU - 25.1
SRM - 21.1 Least sure of this number with the honey.
ABV - 9.5%

Grain Bill -
6 lb Pale Malt
0.5 lb Biscuit Malt
0.5 lb Caramunich Malt
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt
1.5 lb Dark Honey (Wildflower honey I purchased at a local farmers market.)

Hop Schedule -
0.6 oz Northern Brewer 60 mins

Yeast -
White Labs #WLP530

The honey I am using is very dark, and has intense plum and other dark fruit flavors. It really reminds me of the flavors in the Deep Amber candi syrup I made at home following this post (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/)

I'm estimating this honey at 80 SRM, picture attached. That is a small amount, and in the jar it looks like molasses.

Please let me know if there is anything you would change or any feedback on the recipe.

DarkHoney.jpg

dead thread revivial:::
i was thinking of diong a dark honey beer. what were the tastes on this? do you remember?

This is actually still in secondary.

I ended up brewing this recipe with two different yeasts. One with wlp530 and another with the wlp super high gravity yeast. Can't remember the number.

Both are aging still. The samples I took at about 45 days was very strong on the honey flavor. Probably too much actually. A less robust honey would have been nice.

I'm debating if I want to blend these and possibly add some sour cherries and use it as a xmas beer.

Latest posts

Back