dark spots in my bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthafuggle

Reaction score
I have a Belgian Heavy that spend a combined 5 weeks in primary and secondary. I fined with gelatin and bottled a week later.

I was in the basement giving the bottles a turn and noticed that they all seem to have tiny, tiny dark floaties clinging to the sides of the bottles on the bottom 2/3. When I shook the bottles, it looked like clouds of dark crap coming from the depths of the bottles and bigger floaties rose to the surface on a few of them. I tried to search this one, but maybe I'm describing it wrong.

Infection city, population: Me -or Relax with a homebrew?

It could just be trub from the secondary, how do they taste? How does it smell? Try one every month and age the rest. It should settle out.

The bottles were infected -most of them anyway... The bottles poured nice, tall glasses of foam that would hang around for about 5 minutes. I could almost float a penny on that crap.

With enough patience, the beer was drinkable, but wasn't great. No burst bottles, thank god. The good news is that 6+ batches later (all-grain now, that was my last XME batch) I haven't had an infection in the bunch and the beer keeps improving.

Funny this post was up. I had a grolsch bottle of witbier do that to me last night. Only one though and whatever was in the bottle was a ***** to clean out. I might have done a shoddy cleaning job and then bottled with crap still in the bottle.

Back