Dark Lord Day 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
Anyone get tickets today? My buddy scored us 2 for group A. I've wanted to go for years but have never made it there so this will be my first. Any tips/tricks/suggestions to fully enjoy the day?

Got tickets for Group C.

Good thing the web filter at work isn't that strict.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nope.. Snubbed 2 years in a row,... I thought the website was a joke this year. I was "in line" for well over 15 minutes prior to the start of the sale (on the site for an hour before hand)
They should just go to a lottery system... This is ridiculous.

I've always wanted to go too. I just found out that my younger brother got me a ticket. No clue what group, though. I'm pretty jacked.

Was on the queue for 8 min before they went on sale. Stayed on for 1:15 and never got a chance. My friend got through then in check out it ejected him and we never got another chance. PISSED OOOOOOOFFFFFFF

No luck, again. Stayed up after my third 12-hour night shift in a row (at the hospital barely a mile from 3 Floyds, mind you), and struck out.

An open letter to the Floyds: Everyone in the medical field enjoys alcohol a great deal. Munster Community Hospital will undoubtedly save the life of at least one of your employees this year. How about some beer once in a while?

MarathonMurse you should be able to get some tickets during local sales (They've had them the past two years, subscribe to their twitter).

I got group B tickets woot!

Yeah, I've got my ear to the ground, but not getting my hopes up based on my luck getting tickets the last few years.

We scored Group A tickets! I was logged in ten minutes before and a buddy hopped on 5 early and he got tickets for A and I got none. I think it was a lottery system in the queue, I've heard this same thing happening to a lot of people.

Getting back to OT anyone have any tips or tricks to the day? Anything we should be aware of the night before?
(Our first time)

I was "in line" for well over 15 minutes prior to the start of the sale (on the site for an hour before hand)
They should just go to a lottery system... This is ridiculous.
those "virtual waiting rooms" are a lottery system.

if they went for a more traditional lottery - fill in a ballot type of thing - chances are you will still be shut out, as there is way more demand than supply. would you feel any better if you were shut out because your piece of paper wasn't pulled from the (giant) hat? one way or another, being in the majority that gets shut out is going to suck... :(

Getting back to OT anyone have any tips or tricks to the day? Anything we should be aware of the night before?
(Our first time)

Well, I'm not aware of anything the night before, but general tips are to be prepared for the weather, a crowd, and beer.

It's spring, the weather can be anything, so make sure you look at the forecast as it's getting close. I've been there in rain, cool weather, and I've been sunburned before. You'll be standing all day most likely, so comfortable shoes are a must. If it's going to rain or has been rainy, be prepared for some mud too.

There's a ton of people, and you're going to be standing around with them all day, mostly while waiting in line for something. Most everyone at DLD is friendly, so talk to people and be friendly too, it makes waiting in line fun. Bring some beer to drink, offer to share and people will share with you. Take a look at the rows of "dead soldiers" for empty bottles of almost every whale you've ever wanted. Add to it ;)

Like any beer festival or event, you're going to want to sample and drink all day. Pace yourself, drink water, and eat. Pay attention to what tents are FFF and which are guests, there's great stuff in both.

Not sure what last year was like but they often have some fantastic food tents/trucks there too. I'm sure Dark Matter will be there with some great coffee just as Intelligentsia has been there in the past.

Everything is cash, so you'll want a lot of it. The $$$ for bottle sales adds up and you don't want to end up short if you have the opportunity to buy one of the barrel aged rare bottles. They have ATMs there, but I haven't used them, I assume their foreign fees are high. Your daily withdrawal limit could be an issue too. :eek:

They also change the rules a little every year, make sure you're checking the DLD website for the latest.

I managed to get some group E tickets. Didn't realize this means even if i get a golden ticket the pickings will be slim. Owell I am going for the experience more than for the bottles. Planning on bringing some good beers to share but dont really have anything too crazy.

Last year was much better as far as space goes as they opened it up to a big area across the street. There were nice tents so some opportunity to sit down which was nice. Bottle line was still long, but good. Also had Dark Lord on tap all day which was amazing. I didn't get any barrel aged varieties on tap, but I heard they were on occasionally.

Flossmoor's brewery has a thing the night before, usually tap some Dark Lord BA stuff I'm told. I've never been to it.

globe: previously the pickings are slim at Group E, hopefully they'll split the BA stuff up into Lots to make available throughout the day, but we'll see.

My brewing partner got group D tickets so him and I will be driving from VA. We are staying at a hotel a mile or so from the event, i'll have to check and see which one it is. I'm stoked!

Others have had good advice, but just to reiterate the waiting part. Prepare to stand and wait A LOT. It was our first (and probably last) last year so I don't know if it's representative of all years, but we waited 3-4 hours to get our DL but we had the last group tickets. We also waited 45 mins to an hour to get a pour of DL earlier in the day. And varying amounts of time to get other great beer and food.

I still haven't opened one of our DL's from last year, so the plan is to open one up on DL day since we aren't going (our decision; didn't even try for tickets).

Take a look at the rows of "dead soldiers" for empty bottles of almost every whale you've ever wanted. Add to it ;)
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Perhaps I could be argued that this is a tad different than other litter, but littering is a big pet peeve of mine. I just don't understand all the litter after festivals like this. Why not throw your garbage away?

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Perhaps I could be argued that this is a tad different than other litter, but littering is a big pet peeve of mine. I just don't understand all the litter after festivals like this. Why not throw your garbage away?

That's a valid point, I've always seen this done right near a trash can and it wouldn't take any more effort to put them in the can instead. It is cool to see some rare bottles though.

Anyone familiar with the event area want to meet up for a bottle share? This is my first time so I am not sure where a good meeting site is at DLD.

I am bringing Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper, my guest is bringing Central Waters 1414 and 16. Plus I'm sure a few other goodies will be included.

Would love to meet some other HBT members.

Anyone familiar with the event area want to meet up for a bottle share? This is my first time so I am not sure where a good meeting site is at DLD.

I am bringing Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper, my guest is bringing Central Waters 1414 and 16. Plus I'm sure a few other goodies will be included.

Would love to meet some other HBT members.

I'll be there with a buddy and will be bringing a haul of goodies. I'll send you a PM with me cell number so we can meetup.

Sent from my Commodore64

Dark Lord is so hit and miss, I had the red wax one (can't remember the year, 2012-13) and it was terrible, honestly. Plenty of other RISs for me to try, I'm not even interested in it anymore. I'm interested to see what others think of it this year, however.

Yeah the beer is not great, which is why I'm not heart broken about not getting a group ticket to buy an allotment. We're going for the bottle share and chance to drink ridiculous guest taps (and maybe some DLD variants).

Oh. And the metal.

Sent from my Commodore64

i'm looking forward to going, it'll be my first one. got group A tickets and a hotel nearby so it will be a fun long day. bringing some beers i've tucked away from my very very small upstart cellar along with some homebrew.

My brewing partner got group D tickets so him and I will be driving from VA. We are staying at a hotel a mile or so from the event, i'll have to check and see which one it is. I'm stoked!

:tank:

Hello Virginian! My flight to Chicago is this evening. First DLD for me and hopefully not my last. Group B

I have GA tickets, just going up to have a good time and drink. Not sure what the fascination is with standing in line for hours for the privilege of paying about $50 for 3 bottles of beer. I'm so upset I'm missing out on that.

If anyone wants to meet up I'm bringing some Cincinnati beer and will have a couple backpack coolers, we can share and swap, etc.

We scored Group A tickets! I was logged in ten minutes before and a buddy hopped on 5 early and he got tickets for A and I got none. I think it was a lottery system in the queue, I've heard this same thing happening to a lot of people.

(Our first time)

this is helpful

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dark-lord-day-survival-guide.10097/

Heads up, they posted a map and menu.

http://darklordday.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/FFF_DLD2014FestMap_Web.pdf

The dark Lord bottle line was misrepresented, I fixed it

1398442361771.jpg

LOL. Last year I was in the last group and I got in line on Superior Ave, before the turn in the cul de sac. It took us 3-4 hours to get our beer. I hate waiting in line and it sucked, but we got to talk to some cool people and drink some good beer.

Any Group A warriors out there want to share some homebrews (or whatever) shoot me a PM and we can meet up tomorrow. I'll be bringing a few bottles of my RIS, Oktoberfest and IPL (freshly carbonated) along with some local favorites.

~Cheers~

I was in group d last year and that is literally where the line started. I felt like the best bottle sharing was in line so the wait didnt seem so bad.

yeah heard from my buddies that last year they had to wait 3-4 for group d. we all managed group A this year.

Beerwaukee, what time are you planning on getting down there and in line? I think we'll down there at 8:30, I'm not getting there at 6am to stand around for 4 hours, esp since group A is lining up at the north gate and the rest at south

Back