Dark Lord Day 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the response Artimus. Very helpful.

I like the RDWHAHB on our clothes idea. Anyone else game for that??

I don't have a HBT sticker :( Guess I need to get off my butt and become a member to get the sticker.

mtnagel, NP

conpewter, love the idea of some type if identifier but the weather could mess things up if we need to layer up. Shouldn't there be HBT hats available by now? TXbrew... Opportunity knocking... :)

Maybe time and place would work best. Didn't you get some guys together last year?

You know what? I posted this on Beer advocate, but the response I got was very negative and pissed me off. So Ive come here to the HB forum with the same offer. One of my party fell through and I have an extra ticket for DLD. This ticket cost me right at $40 through the 3F website. Plus the fact that Im now missing out on 2 possibly 3 DL beers that my +1 was gonna give me, makes this ticket pretty valuable to me. Do not offer me money for this ticket. Its all about the beer. On beer advocate I proposed a 3 beer trade for the ticket. Perhaps a DL, a Baller Stout and/or a Westvleteren. Well, that just didnt sit well with the first person to reply to my post. So screw them I say. Im not looking to make a killing on this ticket, but I expect a little something extra for such a high demand item. Despite being a hardcore Capitalist/Free Market type of guy, I respect 3F's wishes on secondary sells of their tickets and beer. All Im asking for is about $50-$60 worth of beer for a $40 ticket.
So if anyone wants it, thats my offer. I think its very reasonable.

Folks usually bring 3-5 beers in a cooler bag around their shoulder and drink/share it while in line to get in. Once youre in, yo should be done with all your beer you brought and ready to drink the beer on property. Once you get your DL allotment, you take it to your car and come back to drink more beer. Then you get in line for the brewpub, the only place you can get DL on tap. Once inside, eat lunch/dinner and drink several DL on tap. Then you leave, go watch a band or 2 then repeat!!

If you are trying to find a home for that ticket, I doubt you will find one asking for those beers. Why not sell it for what you paid for it? Yes the beer would be nice but not eating $40 would be nice too

One big recommendation for DLD is DO NOT trust the carriers that FFF's provides. They are very weak. I saw numerous people last year that had their carriers bottom give out and bottles busted on the ground. Ours went straight in a backpack after they were purchased.

One big recommendation for DLD is DO NOT trust the carriers that FFF's provides. They are very weak. I saw numerous people last year that had their carriers bottom give out and bottles busted on the ground. Ours went straight in a backpack after they were purchased.

Or you can just out one arm underneath of it so the bottom doesn't break. :mug:

Or you can just out one arm underneath of it so the bottom doesn't break. :mug:

Yeah, you could do that. There are many things you could do, just don't carry it by the handle... The backpack worked best for me because I didn't have a vehicle to put it in and the hotel was 1.5 miles away.

Yeah, you could do that. There are many things you could do, just don't carry it by the handle... The backpack worked best for me because I didn't have a vehicle to put it in and the hotel was 1.5 miles away.

That's where I get lucky. Since I live 20 mins. away just put them in the truck and I'm good to go.

Yeah I've tried to get people to meet up in times past but it didn't work out, it is hard with so much going on, different ticket times etc. I don't even know exactly what time I'll be there (will be there early though I think I'm going to try for the brewpub - but have to be there at 5am to have a chance of getting in).

I know there will be several tents outside the gates that BA guys are planning on setting up and doing a lot of tasting. But not sure exactly where/color etc to designate a spot. Any suggestions?

At this point I'm thinking of writing RDWHAHB on something that I can pin on my jacket, or Homebrewtalk.com.

Still haven't gotten my tickets in the mail and getting a little restless. Anyone else still waiting on theirs?

If you are trying to find a home for that ticket, I doubt you will find one asking for those beers. Why not sell it for what you paid for it? Yes the beer would be nice but not eating $40 would be nice too
I know thats a tall order, but if folks would pay $200 for a ticket on Ebay, I think they can cough a beer or 2. These tickets are hard as hell to get and the beer trade for them should be the same, something hard as hell to get of the same value. Plus, Im missing out on 2 possibly 3 hard to get beers becaue my friend is not going. Ive got two offers pending.

I haven't got mine yet. Got a notification that they were mailed on Saturday.

Cool, I don't feel as worried. Got my shipping notification on saturday as well and usps usually only takes a day or two so I figured they would have been here by now.

Yeah I've tried to get people to meet up in times past but it didn't work out, it is hard with so much going on, different ticket times etc. I don't even know exactly what time I'll be there (will be there early though I think I'm going to try for the brewpub - but have to be there at 5am to have a chance of getting in).

I know there will be several tents outside the gates that BA guys are planning on setting up and doing a lot of tasting. But not sure exactly where/color etc to designate a spot. Any suggestions?

At this point I'm thinking of writing RDWHAHB on something that I can pin on my jacket, or Homebrewtalk.com.
How about HBT? It's shorter :)

I agree with what you said before that it might be tough to meet up at a specific time, so that's why I like your idea to wear something with "HBT" so we could hopefully randomly run into several people. I've never been, so I'd rather not commit to a certain time.

Here is me. I'll be wearing this shirt. Come say hi! :ban::mug::tank:

563169_344618298993865_314309466_n.jpg

I know thats a tall order, but if folks would pay $200 for a ticket on Ebay, I think they can cough a beer or 2. These tickets are hard as hell to get and the beer trade for them should be the same, something hard as hell to get of the same value. Plus, Im missing out on 2 possibly 3 hard to get beers becaue my friend is not going. Ive got two offers pending.

You could try and use both tickets yourself. Just go through the beer line twice, give them one ticket the first pass, and then your other ticket the second time.

Hmm I think I have a homebrewtalk patch around somewhere. Ah well, I always end up making new friends every DLD. This year I'm going solo (meeting someone from BeerAdvocate to use the ticket my buddy can't use) so I'll make friends in line as usual :)

I'll either have a HBT patch or saftey pin something with HBT on it to my jacket. Along with the $10 bill my wife saftey pins to me for lunch money :)

I'll be there Group C (my tickets) through Group E (friend's ticket) with plenty to share

I've been lucky enough to get my tickets every year starting in 2010, and pretty much gone with the same group each time. We normally bring a small cooler of food and a large cooler of beer that we leave in the car, and use backpacks to bring stuff to/from the event as necessary. I kept a sleeve of plastic cups in my backpack all day that were great for friends and random people wanting to share/try something. Process usually goes: make friends in line, get Dark Lord, delivery Dark Lord to car, return with beer to share/trade.

Got mine in the mail last week as well. Going alone again this year. I was hoping that others from the local homebrewing club would be going as well, but nadda.

Of course I was also hoping to bring some of my own homebrew to share but I'm bottling my first batch tomorrow and methinks it won't be ready by Saturday.

Where did you see that? ETA: I see it's on http://darklordday.com/
In an effort to reduce congestion and provide more Barrel-aged offerings to everyone, the Brewpub will not be open. This is a cash only event and credit cards will not be accepted. ATMs will be available on site.

Anyone remember if they had vegetarian food options outside last year? Just wondering if I should plan some back up food options.

My question would be, are they serving DL outside since he pub will be closed? I will be highly, highly pissed if they don't. I would t put it past them to do it. Last year the pub was the only place you could get it.

I dont remember much about the food stands, I know they had some awesome corn dogs outside. I would plan ahead and take your own vegetarian food.

I don't know if anybody knows about serving DL on tap. Hopefully they set up some extra tents to serve it. If not it is pretty amazing that Surly can serve Darkness during their whole event and still sell more bottles pf Darkness than 3F does of Dark Lord...

Back