Dark Lord Day 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Who got their tickets? I actually got a couple and this is my first year trying. I'm about a 4 hour drive away in Cincinnati. Planning on getting a hotel as I'm in the last group, so with the drinking and time change, that would make for a long drive home. Anyone else going?

I live 5 minutes from FFF and didn't even bother trying. I've given up on them. They make some great beer, but its just not worth the cost or hassle. However, I would recommend checking out one trick pony. Tiny place in Lansing, IL with very good beer and great people. It reminds me a lot of what FFF used to be.

As I said, it's my first year, so it was kind of an impulse buy. I had heard of it, but didn't know much until after I bought my tickets. Not really regretting buying them as I'm looking forward to the experience, but I just told my gf it might be our one and only Dark Lord Day. I'm usually not one that buys into all the hype for beer (e.g. had some CBS a couple years ago; it was excellent and I'd drink it often if I could get it often, but worth all the hype? Not really). Guess I got caught up in it anyway. Of well. I'll reserve judgement until I actually go.

I love going to Dark Lord Day (love the beer too) the atmosphere is really fun, I enjoy the bottle sharing. I got group E tickets (wanted earlier ones). I'll be coming down from Chicago. Not sure yet but I may be looking for a place to crash that night, not sure I want to try to drive home (read: stay sober enough) after being at 3Floyds so late.

HA ha... Tickets sold out in about 2 minutes yesterday.

I tried and my brewing buddy tried and neither of us got tickets and we were on right at 12:00pm (when the ticket sales opened)

Better luck next year for me, I guess.

2 minutes? Forget that. I'd have a better chance at Bieber tix. Pass.

Same here. I was also on right at 12:00 & came away with nothing. Sucks...never had Dark Lord, so it would be nice to get to go at least once.

The good news is that we're going on a beer trip Easter weekend & hitting Bells, FFF, Revolution, & Goose Island.

No idea how feasible this is, but should we try to meet up? I know you guys will have some good homebrew :)

So the more I think about it, the more I think I won't be there till around noon or 1. Will it be impossible to find parking? Should I try to get there earlier? Even with the 1 hour time change, it's still a 4+ hour drive and then we have to check in to the hotel. So I doubt I can get the misses to be ready to leave before 8 or 9 at the earliest.

Also, is there any realistic option for a cab? I'd hate to get one there, but then not be able to get one back, and my hotel is a 6-7 mile drive. I think I'd rather drive my car there and then leave it overnight if I can get a cab and get a cab from the hotel in the morning.

I've never been to 3F. i have tried zombie, gumball, alpha king, pride n joy and dreadnaught. Personally the only one of thos i really like was dreadnaught. the others were not bad but i didnt think they were as great as everyone makes them out to be.

I've never been to 3F. i have tried zombie, gumball, alpha king, pride n joy and dreadnaught. Personally the only one of thos i really like was dreadnaught. the others were not bad but i didnt think they were as great as everyone makes them out to be.

They definitely have a "style" of their own...namely high FG and a lot of melanoidin malt. Its not everyone's cup of tea.

Last year was my first DLD, I still havent drank any of the DL other that the glasses I consumed in the brewpub. It's really going to require a special occasion to drink the barrel aged variants we scored.

The event is a **** show and an expense that no beer can live up to, but it's a lot of fun and I may do it again in the future. SWMBO had a blast.

I got tickets. Initially it kept saying quantity not available for every group. I just kept trying to add each group to my cart. After about 20 minutes I got group D. I kept trying because there is a 15 minute "clock" for your order and if it isn't completed in that time the tickets go back in as available.

Demon,

Tried the same to no avail. First miss in four years. It was a walk up event my first year in 2007. Crazy madness these days, although I love going and have always had a blast. Really just depends on if that's your scene or not.

Still holding out hope...

It would be fun to meet up! I'll be there with a buddy of mine (hope he can make it) that is a homebrewer too. Other than that I won't know anyone. I've got thoughts of showing up early to hit the brewpub. But have group E tickets so I know I'll be there late. Wonder if I can sleep in my car.

If you see a few guys with a SlapShot Brewing Co. logo on their shirts, that's my group. Say hi, we're bringing several of our beers for sampling.

It would be fun to meet up! I'll be there with a buddy of mine (hope he can make it) that is a homebrewer too. Other than that I won't know anyone. I've got thoughts of showing up early to hit the brewpub. But have group E tickets so I know I'll be there late. Wonder if I can sleep in my car.
If you look anything like your picture, maybe I don't want to meet you :D

If you see a few guys with a SlapShot Brewing Co. logo on their shirts, that's my group. Say hi, we're bringing several of our beers for sampling.
Cool. Will do. :mug:

No idea how feasible this is, but should we try to meet up? I know you guys will have some good homebrew :)

So the more I think about it, the more I think I won't be there till around noon or 1. Will it be impossible to find parking? Should I try to get there earlier? Even with the 1 hour time change, it's still a 4+ hour drive and then we have to check in to the hotel. So I doubt I can get the misses to be ready to leave before 8 or 9 at the earliest.

Also, is there any realistic option for a cab? I'd hate to get one there, but then not be able to get one back, and my hotel is a 6-7 mile drive. I think I'd rather drive my car there and then leave it overnight if I can get a cab and get a cab from the hotel in the morning.

The brewery is an industrial park. People will be coming and more important leaving all the time. Drive past all the cars parked a 1/2 mile away if there is not much traffic headed in. The closer you get to the brewery the less traffic. You can probably find a spot in the parking lot across from the brewery.;)

I won't be going but if any of you are interested in trading for some CBC hunahpu, I have some of this or last years I'd swap for a bottle of DL.

If DLD is anything like hunahpu day was the past two years I'm sure it rocks. It is not just about the beer but the whole days events.

Cheers guys.

Thanks for the info. I was there last summer so I know how it's set up, but I thought I saw someone say parking was $20 when you get close.

I hope not. I'm not sure who would charge. The last time I was at DLD was 2007 so my info is 6 years old. It's not like a scheduled event time such as a concert or fireworks. A lot of people who get there early are leaving as soon as they get their beer, others stick around a bit to enjoy the fest, but have to leave after an hour or two.

Thanks for the info. I was there last summer so I know how it's set up, but I thought I saw someone say parking was $20 when you get close.

Yes, there are people in the industrial park charging for parking. I believe the city park across the road does as well.

I dont blame them, they are just businesses that happen to be next to this mess 1 day a year.

The long and short of it is expect a very expensive day all the way around.

Understood.

Just so I know how expensive it will be, I think I saw someone say it was $15/bottle and you can buy 4. I know the site said they don't know what their yield is right now, but is that what it's been?

So it's ~$70 for 2 people and it would be $120 for 8 bottles, so that is ~$190 for 8 bottles, which is about $24/bottle.

And the rarer beers are $50 each if you "win" the opportunity to buy one?

That was the deal last year.

But its just the tip of the iceberg. They have tents selling other special beers, some their own and others from all the awesome breweries they trade kegs with. They have food tents with totally decent food. There is tons of merch, and plenty of other large format beers you'll want to buy and a case of zombie dust here, a case of gumball head there....ect. You get the picture.

Then if you happen to get lucky enough to get into the brew pub you could drop 50-100 bucks a person on beer or food pretty easily.

That was the deal last year.

But its just the tip of the iceberg. They have tents selling other special beers, some their own and others from all the awesome breweries they trade kegs with. They have food tents with totally decent food. There is tons of merch, and plenty of other large format beers you'll want to buy and a case of zombie dust here, a case of gumball head there....ect. You get the picture.

Then if you happen to get lucky enough to get into the brew pub you could drop 50-100 bucks a person on beer or food pretty easily.
Thanks for the info. We just started getting 3F in Cincinnati, so I don't need to buy their normal stuff, but I might buy their more rare stuff.

I ended up getting 2 B-Group tix. Was on a conference call with some friends and we all went in at the exact same time. I came away with 2 B's one person got 2 D's and 2 others got nothing.

I would never have even considered getting on this crazy bandwagon in the past, but last summer I tasted the 2011 batch...and it was just delicious.

So a weekend with some buddies, some good beer, and some serious BS-ing? Could be worse for $200ish.

We usually bring beer to drink and share. Frankly, I usually end up drinking more beers from people I meet than my own. Bring some food to cut your costs as well, if necessary.

Lots of home brewers and plenty of folks that don't brew but enjoy/know beer will be there. The conversation is always great! And the place is chock full of people bringing brews to trade and sample. And that doesn't even get into the official guest taps and rares that get unveiled, albeit at a cost.

At this point I think it's easy to get down on all the money that gets charged by 3F, but outside of the tix and the beer, you really control your own expenditures. I've had no success with that myself, I'll admit. Some things are just easier to justify/rationalize than others...!

Drink beer and be merry!

If you look anything like your picture, maybe I don't want to meet you :D

Hey I resemble that remark.... well i don't look like my avatar, I just really like the movie and what people need to see in it... that it can happen here.

ANYWAY I think it would be fun to pick an area, even outside 3F lot itself, that we would all meet up at a certain time to hang out. I'm not sure yet if it will just be me or me and a friend, so I'll not know a lot of people.

Went to DLD in 2010 & 2011: It's chaotic bliss, and I recommend any beer lover to go at least once for the experience.
Thousands of people, get there as early in the morning as possible and any parking within a mile is a good spot.
Bring lots of beer to share, water, food, and something to sit on, most people are cool and I was able to share and trade lots of great beers.
The real fun is outside the fence where people set up camp and hang out.
Inside the fence will be tents with guest taps, a huge line for the brewpub (I suggest not bothering w/ the pub that day), and the line for the bottles.
Years past have been $15 per bomber w/ a 4 bottle limit for an overly sweet, overly hyped imperial stout.......for me the bottles of Dark Lord were not priority, enjoying the festivities trumps all.

I regrettably did not get any tickets either, although I already have two hotel rooms at the Hampton booked and paid for. I hear the night before is almost better than the event with all the beer trading going on. If any of you have an extra ticket or your plus one falls through Id love to pay, trade, drive or provide a place to stay in return.

I was able to score a pair of tix. Anyone know of any buses heading down from Chicago? I know of Reggie's Rock Club but that one seems to be a little "loose" with the details.

luckily my buddy was able to get tickets, so I'm going!

I have some friends that want me to get them some Darklord bottles. Anybody know some good trade bait?

So far I was thinking: Cigar City Hunahpu 2013 and Stone 15th Anniversary Bourbon Barrel Aged. What about something less rare like Stone Ruination Bourbon Barrel Aged, or Firestone Walker Parabola?

Bring it all, and what you don't trade, share! Or stash securely.

I took a DL '07 two years ago and guys were buzzing around like bees waiting for me to open it. Actually got nervous about it, but all for naught.

Managed to score a ticket... I'll be looking for a guy carrying around an open bottle of Hunahpu. :)

I'll be there for the second year in a row. Managed to score 1 group D ticket. This year I should even have some homebrew to bring along with the bad ass pretzel necklace my wife always makes me whenever I go to a beer event.

DLD rookie so I'm back with more questions. I was talking to a guy at a local brewery opening on Saturday and he made it sound like I wouldn't be able to get in until my ticket time. That's not true right?

So I just reread the FAQ and it said no coolers. How are you bringing beer in and how to keep it cool? I thought I saw people mention backbacks for their beer. Yay or nay? Do you keep some in your car and come back and get it?

What do you do with your Dark Lord after you buy it? Take it back to you car? Leave?

Still trying to figure out how things will go down.

Its an all day affair, come early, stay late.

Coolers are everywhere. Worst case, leave it in your car and walk back and forth.

Bring it to the car.

Your ticket gets you on the property proper regardless of your Group. Your group time relates to the actual line/purchase of DL. Everything else is open game.

They discourage coolers on the property proper due to space restrictions (which is a decent call IMHO) but coolers are everywhere else. Backpack for the beer you bring isn't a bad option... Especially since it gets lighter the longer you're there. :)

I usually stash my DL someplace out of the way. Many take it to their car. Not sure what the allocation is this year yet, but if they do the standard 4 bomber bottle sell, you'll not want to lug those around with you unless you have to or are strong-backed. Add in a barrel-aged or other purchase or trades, and you're gonna want a place for your stuff.

Group A. Look for me... I'll be the guy with a glass on my face and a smile in my hand!

Hey Artimus! I'll be there, still not sure for a good way for homebrewtalk people to meet up :/ Certain time at a certain place? Scrawl RDWHAHB on a piece of clothing? Put your hombrewtalk sticker on yourself/backpack...?

Back