Dark English Milds are AMAZING

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its the canned version of boddingtons they get in export markets - it's stronger than what we get here. I imagine it's still gash

Never heard of Boddingtons pub ale, is it only cask or something?

I think its the canned version of boddingtons they get in export markets - it's stronger than what we get here. I imagine it's still gash

Yep. Nitro canned. It's bland and boring, but I do enjoy it every now and then.

Well I'll be. Just started Sutula's "Mild Ale" from the Classic Styles series the other day. He lists the average UK dark mild at 43 SRM and some are much darker than that.

I spoke with Dave Sutula last Friday--he's brewing at a brewpub that just opened up this year--"Royal Docks" in Canton Ohio. Many good beers on tap there, but no milds, yet.

I made Jamil's recipe this summer & it came out well. Could probably have used a little more caramel/crystal malt. Already forgot which yeast I used, maybe 1318?

@iijakii
brewing this next weekend, but swapping the c60 with english special roast. Ive got WY1968 and WY1318 on hand. Any thoughts on one vs the other? I saw you used 1318 in yours but was still wondering

@iijakii
brewing this next weekend, but swapping the c60 with english special roast. Ive got WY1968 and WY1318 on hand. Any thoughts on one vs the other? I saw you used 1318 in yours but was still wondering

I have no thoughts as I've never used those ingredients. Isn't special roast more of a toasted flavor though? Might wanna sub that for the biscuit instead of crystal? Maybe someone else here can comment.

I think any of the ESB yeasts would work great. I went with 1318 as I can get it for free from a local brewpub.

Sounds great either way though. You'll dig it.

Never heard of English Special Roast. Who is the maltster? Amber malt is the closest I can think of!

Just picked up a couple pints of 1318 from HUB again, so about time to brew up some more mild. Might even do a 10gal batch this time, but I know it's meant to be drank young so maybe not. I've never actually witnessed a beer getting too long in the tooth besides IPAs losing hop pungency, whats a few month Mild like? Kegged, not casked.

Anyways, really loved it this last time around. Tempted to redo exact or try making and adding some inverted sugar. Convince me, friends.

Keg it at 5 days, and drink a gallon a night. Plenty fresh :mug:

Finishing up the last of my Continental run this month, but next month I've got two different Milds on the plate. I'll do another Pale Mild (this time super pale, basically using a Bitter grain bill, ie mostly Maris Otter and a touch of Crystal with some #3 invert, aiming for 8 SRM or so) that is basically a yeast prop batch, top crop into a Bramling Cross Bitter and I think I'll do an Oat Dark Mild. 42% Mild Malt, 28% Maris Otter, 11% flaked oats, 7% crystal, 7% #3 invert, and 5% chocolate malt. I'll see how it goes. I may opt to up the oats a little bit. Also going to aim a bit stronger, and go for 4.5% ABV or so. Between top and bottom cropping, I'll probably pull maybe 15-20 batches out of that initial Pale Mild (a few more Dark Milds among them, my house one already mentioned, and I'll do a wheat-heavy one too, and probably do one of Pattinson's recipes, haven't decided which) over the next few months.

Might brew one next weekend. Rapid kegging for an Xmas/New Year's mild. Got some EKG, Wyeat 1469 and all the grains I need.

7 days grain to glass is probably not practical, 14 days sounds easy with these though. I don't want to rush it unnecessarily.

Keg it at 5 days, and drink a gallon a night. Plenty fresh :mug:

Finishing up the last of my Continental run this month, but next month I've got two different Milds on the plate. I'll do another Pale Mild (this time super pale, basically using a Bitter grain bill, ie mostly Maris Otter and a touch of Crystal with some #3 invert, aiming for 8 SRM or so) that is basically a yeast prop batch, top crop into a Bramling Cross Bitter and I think I'll do an Oat Dark Mild. 42% Mild Malt, 28% Maris Otter, 11% flaked oats, 7% crystal, 7% #3 invert, and 5% chocolate malt. I'll see how it goes. I may opt to up the oats a little bit. Also going to aim a bit stronger, and go for 4.5% ABV or so. Between top and bottom cropping, I'll probably pull maybe 15-20 batches out of that initial Pale Mild (a few more Dark Milds among them, my house one already mentioned, and I'll do a wheat-heavy one too, and probably do one of Pattinson's recipes, haven't decided which) over the next few months.

That looks very good. I'd use a bit less chocolate malt (~2-3%) if going for an OG around 1.045 just to avoid unnecessary roast character. Have you tried brewers' caramel or sinamar to darken it? Carafa isn't traditional but maybe a small addition wouldn't go amiss.

That looks very good. I'd use a bit less chocolate malt (~2-3%) if going for an OG around 1.045 just to avoid unnecessary roast character. Have you tried brewers' caramel or sinamar to darken it? Carafa isn't traditional but maybe a small addition wouldn't go amiss.

That's about the OG I was aiming for. Brewer's Caramel doesn't seem to be available in the US (found one company that supplies to companies, may try and get a sample). Suggestion on making it? Sounds like it may not be too far off from making invert.

That's about the OG I was aiming for. Brewer's Caramel doesn't seem to be available in the US (found one company that supplies to companies, may try and get a sample). Suggestion on making it? Sounds like it may not be too far off from making invert.

I wouldn't make brewers' caramel at home. It's not sweet or thick. Very plain in flavour and very very dark (1000+ SRM).

I wouldn't make brewers' caramel at home. It's not sweet or thick. Very plain in flavour and very very dark (1000+ SRM).

Yep. I read one recipe from ~1900 that seems iffy, and another that said you have to be very careful because if you do something wrong it's potentially a major fire hazard.

I haven't ever actually seen it (but haven't been looking), but my LHBS allegedly actually stocks Sinamar, which sounds like my next best substitute. I need to swing back in there and grab some hops I forgot yesterday, so I might grab some of that as well. However, Sinamar is basically concentrated Carafa, and my experience with Carafa doesn't sound a whole lot like like what I've heard brewer's caramel provides (color yes, but not quite the right flavor).

I'll probably pursue trying to get a sample of one/some of the options directly from DDW, but I'd suspect since I'm not a "company" they may refuse to send me some.

http://www.gusmerenterprises.com/pdf/Product Data Sheets/DDW - Caramel in Brewing - Gusmer.pdf

You could email brupacks and see if anyone stateside stocks theirs? http://www.brupaks.com/beersundries.htm

Failing that it's E150 C you want (not A, B or D)

It's about 30,000 EBC but I imagine the exact colour will vary depending on the supplier

I never use it, although I'm sort of tempted to get some and use it in a black IPA :)

Given the quantity and how much of a right pain this is proving to be, methinks I'll just go with Sinamar.

Irony is after all the Food Boob nonsense, looking up beer caramel coloring, E150C, or anything like that presents mostly articles on how terrible caramel coloring is in beer and that stupid psuedoscience Food Boob article on "beers you should stop drinking". Annoying.

For caramel color I've used McCormicks available on Amazon http://amzn.to/1QDhUTQ it's not quite the same as brewers caramel though

My understanding from research over the last day or two, brewing requires a Class III caramel color due to the ionic charges involved. That product is a Class II (according to the Q&A at the bottom) which leads me to believe it's unsuitable for brewing.

Yeah it'll precipitate out in time

I'm not much in favour of E150 in general but I don't have much of a problem when it's used . Although I dislike its use in whisky more than in beer, I don't really know why :) I suppose it lends a sort of fake orange hue to whisky

Yeah it'll precipitate out in time

I'm not much in favour of E150 in general but I don't have much of a problem when it's used . Although I dislike its use in whisky more than in beer, I don't really know why :) I suppose it lends a sort of fake orange hue to whisky

If you have a protein rich beer it probably would precipitate out with time, when added post fermentation in my mild it wasn't an issue. I bottled a few off the keg though that I could check later.

Brewed something last weekend I called a "Dark American Mild" with stuff I had on hand. Similar recipe but just us 2row instead of MO, and I used more biscuit to make up for it. I also used a tad more pale chocolate, and a touch less crystal because I didnt have enough. Then I whirlpooled a couple ounces of fuggles. Oh yeah, also bumped it to 3.9 instead of 3.2.

The less crystal and more pale chocolate is really noticeable. Made it a touch too dry feeling. Still delicious, but now it's just not as quaffable somehow. There's a slight harshness from the roasted grains that lingers. It is only 7 days old, so maybe it'll mellow some in time. I brewed 10 gals of it so we'll see how the second keg looks ;).

Mindless ramble I guess. Really has nothing to do with this thread besides don't fear the crystal, I guess.

Brewed something last weekend I called a "Dark American Mild" with stuff I had on hand. Similar recipe but just us 2row instead of MO, and I used more biscuit to make up for it. I also used a tad more pale chocolate, and a touch less crystal because I didnt have enough. Then I whirlpooled a couple ounces of fuggles. Oh yeah, also bumped it to 3.9 instead of 3.2.

The less crystal and more pale chocolate is really noticeable. Made it a touch too dry feeling. Still delicious, but now it's just not as quaffable somehow. There's a slight harshness from the roasted grains that lingers. It is only 7 days old, so maybe it'll mellow some in time. I brewed 10 gals of it so we'll see how the second keg looks ;).

Mindless ramble I guess. Really has nothing to do with this thread besides don't fear the crystal, I guess.

Sounds like a great brew. Does it still fir the English mild category?

My next brew I'm joining the English mild appreciation soc.

Sounds like a great brew. Does it still fir the English mild category?

My next brew I'm joining the English mild appreciation soc.

It's similar enough that I'm sure it does, yeah. I've still never had another example than my own, sadly.

Definitely brew a dark mild, they're amazing. I think for now it's my favorite style.

It's similar enough that I'm sure it does, yeah. I've still never had another example than my own, sadly.

Definitely brew a dark mild, they're amazing. I think for now it's my favorite style.

I was going to brew one this weekend but bumped it for an Altbier.

Mild is next for sure. FIL will be staying with me for a bit from next month and I want something mild and English. Already go the ingredients.

I've only had one DEM courtesy of @psylocide . It was excellent

Love the resurgence of this thread. Gotta keep it up!

Post your beer results when you do brew one, Gavin!

Guess what yall? This is beer soda. It tastes like a great beer. You'll drink your weight. You'll think you've had come enough. You won't. You can drink a mild until you owe yourself a beer. It won't be enough. Milds will result in you being in debt to the beer gods fit beers you may never brew.

So, do it.

[snip]

I wonder how close American pale ale malt is to MO? I've got about 15 pounds left in the bucket.

I wonder how close American pale ale malt is to MO? I've got about 15 pounds left in the bucket.

I haven't tried them side by side in a Mild, but I did try them side by side (used Briess Pale Ale malt side by side with Crisp MO) in a Bitter. The Pale Ale malt kind of worked, but it's no way a substitute. In a Mild there's enough going on you may not notice. But in something with a little less malt oomph like a Bitter you probably would.

This one sure is a lot darker. Still brown on the edges but black everywhere else.

sxnAuQu.jpg

Damn I love these beers.

So glad I did 10gals on this batch. Keg feelin a bit wobbly already..
This is an old thread, but if you still check Iijakii, if you ever get up Seattle ways, you NEED to check out Machine House Brewery and try their mild. It is the dog's bollocks. The other beers are good, but the mild is ambrosial. They are real ale with cask engines.

The mild is 2-row, Bairds 50-60, 120-150 and chocolate, fermented with Fuller's yeast according to the brewmeister.

I brewed one using Golden Promise, Premium Caramalt, Heritage Crystal and DRC. Turned out very well. The DRC, when used in higher amounts, does lend a smooth roastiness, which plays well in many darker styles. I am a bit miffed about the ABV, reaching 5.3%, but other than that, all good.

I brewed one using Golden Promise, Premium Caramalt, Heritage Crystal and DRC. Turned out very well. The DRC, when used in higher amounts, does lend a smooth roastiness, which plays well in many darker styles. I am a bit miffed about the ABV, reaching 5.3%, but other than that, all good.

DRC is awesome for a mild or small porter, I also used it in my dark mild recipe.

Back