Dark Cherry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainPain

Reaction score
Hi there.
I've my first batch in the primary but I'm already thinking in my 2nd batch, so I need your help.

I was thining in this recipe, can you see anything wrong or have a sugestion?

Grains to Steep
- 0,50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500,0 SRM)
- 0,50 lb Dark Crystal (75,0 SRM)
- 0,50 lb Roasted Barley (500,0 SRM)

Add water to achieve boil volume of 4,01 gal.

Boil Ingredients:
- 3,00 lb Dark Dry Extract (17,5 SRM)
- 1,00 oz Perle [ 7,00 %] - Boil 60,0 min
- 3,15 lb Dark Liquid Extract - Boil for 15 min

Cool and Prepare Fermentation:
- Cool wort to fermentation temperature
- Transfer wort to fermenter
- Add water to achieve f inal volume of 5,00 gal

Dry Hop and Prepare for Bottling:
- 4,00 oz Cherry Extract (Bottling 5,0 mins)
- Estimate: 1,012 SG
- Carbonation: Bottle with 3,78 oz Corn Sugar
- Age beer for 28,00 days at 52,0 F

Thank you!

I can't help you with the recipe, except for the extract. I would add 1-2 ounces first, mix well, and taste. If you want more cherry flavor, add more, but I would not recommend all 4 ounces up front. The two times I have used extract, it was way too overpowering and almost chemical tasting.

If you have the ability to rack onto some frozen cherries, maybe 4 pounds might be the right amount to try.

I've done one of these. Drop all the dark extract and replace it with light, use specialty grains for the flavor and color. Consider using 6 pounds of Cherry Puree in the secondary instead of cherry extract, it can taste a bit like medicine sometimes. I also used 1 pound of unsweetened cocoa powder in the secondary.

I've done one of these. Drop all the dark extract and replace it with light, use specialty grains for the flavor and color. Consider using 6 pounds of Cherry Puree in the secondary instead of cherry extract, it can taste a bit like medicine sometimes. I also used 1 pound of unsweetened cocoa powder in the secondary.

Hi helibrewer.

Thanks for the reply.
My only "problem" is that I want to use an open can of DME that I've used in my first batch, so I've choosen a recipe were I could use it.:p

Back