Danstar Nottingham - holy crap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridebreck

Reaction score
Brewed up a batch of Edwort Haus Pale this weekend. I've read in several places that the Nottingham is an aggressive yeast, boy is it ever! I've lost nearly 3/4 gallon to blow-off in ~18 hours and it doesn't show any signs of slowing anytime soon.

I may have to buy a 6.5 gallon Better Bottle and brew slightly large batches just to compensate in the future. I really like this yeast - cheap and effective. Can't wait to taste it.

How long did it take to fire up? I brewed a similar to Edwort HausPale last night, pitched at around 10:00pm and am yet to see anything at all as of right now.

I'm at a very steady 65*

I pitched at around 2:00pm and things were starting to move around by 8:00pm or so. When I woke up the next morning, I had nearly a full container of blow-off foam and other crud. I use a 1-inch blow-off hose into a 2-gallon container that I fill with a gallon of star-san solution. I dumped the container twice yesterday and should have dumped it again this morning. Mine is holding steady at 67 deg.

when I remember to rehydrate, Notty lately hits blow-off fermentation in about 24 hours, if I pitch on a washed cake it starts blowing off in 3 hours. fermentation is set at 62° F

I've been very happy with nottingham. I've used it in all but 2 of my batches (which both ended at 1.020) and have pulled great numbers.

All the batches have started within 12 hours, with huge blowoffs and quick fermentations. I started a batch of Ed's Pale that went from 1.059 to 1.010 in 3 days.

If only they made 6.5gal Better Bottles, I'd buy them this second.

I got some Notty in an Irish Red, pitched about 4hrs. ago. It's my first time using it, got scared off because of the recall awhile back.

Is the blow-off a result of using an undersized fermenter? I brew 5 gal batches in a 6.5 gal bucket fermentor using Notty, and I have no gunk getting into my airlock. The ring of gunk on the inside is about 5 inches above the beer when I take the lid off.

Try rehydrating Notty per the packet instructions on your next batch if you have never done so, then have a blowoff tube at the ready for fermentation! I stopped using Notty because of poor fermentation I experienced during the recall, but tried it a few batches ago post-recall, rehydrated and had a beersplosion in the fermenter in short order. This was with a 5 gal batch in a 6.5 gal glass carboy, so undersize it was not! A blow-off is a result of vigorous fermentation, yeast propogation and maybe Voodoo, I'm not too sure on the details.

This yeast is certainly back to normal! For me I found the key to controlling the ferociosity of the fermentation is temperature. Pitch at fermentation temperature and ferment cool. 61-63 gives you a nice controlled and clean fermentation. I racked 6 gallons of 1.074 OG scotch ale onto a notty yeast cake in a 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter. No blow off, just a simple airlock. 62 degree pitch temp and I have kept the temp at around 62 the entire time....I thought for sure I was asking for trouble but now krausen out of the airlock or anything...just a constant flow of C02 for the last 4 days. My concern is that this yeast may take me too low!

This is a very respectable yeast as long as you don't go over 70 degrees. I am now torn between US-05 and nottingham as my go to yeast.

This is indeed wonderful to hear. I loved Notty before the recall, and I haven't used it since. I have two packets of the post-recall in my brew supplies, and I can't wait to use them on Wednesday to brew a beer (English Mild) that needs to be ready on January 6. With two packs, it should be just fine, given these reports.

This yeast is certainly back to normal! For me I found the key to controlling the ferociosity of the fermentation is temperature. Pitch at fermentation temperature and ferment cool. 61-63 gives you a nice controlled and clean fermentation. I racked 6 gallons of 1.074 OG scotch ale onto a notty yeast cake in a 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter. No blow off, just a simple airlock. 62 degree pitch temp and I have kept the temp at around 62 the entire time....I thought for sure I was asking for trouble but now krausen out of the airlock or anything...just a constant flow of C02 for the last 4 days. My concern is that this yeast may take me too low!

This is a very respectable yeast as long as you don't go over 70 degrees. I am now torn between US-05 and nottingham as my go to yeast.

Yea, love this yeast. I started my last batch at 65deg. Ambient temp of room was the same. The activity of the yeast raised the temp to 70 deg and blow off occured. I will start a few degrees lower and set room temp a little lower as well to see if blow off can be slowed.
Cheers:mug:

I use Notty in my edworts pale ale. I use 6.5 gallon carboys on five gallon batches, my last batch was at around 62-64 degrees, and I never saw any blow off. It took about three days to be finished, left it there for two weeks, kegged and drinking now.

My previous batches were the same. I have yet to have any issues with blow off, using nottingham.

Pitched 1.5 packets (fermenting at 64) in our breakfast stout and the krausen had reached the top of the bucket in an alarmingly short time. It's still bubbling (and yes, I know the hydrometer is king but just run with me here) and it's been 4 days or so. Great stuff

I like to keep ambient at about 60 with this stuff. When I pitched my scotch ale onto a notty cake, I had ambient of 60, but I knew with the OG being 1.074 that it would produce some heat so I put the fermenter in a water batch as well. the fermentation as never went over 63 degrees....

My favorite part about nottingham is not only the attenuation, but the floculation and hardness of the cake. It drops out and leaves you with a clear beer after two weeks on the cake in 60-63 degress.

My favorite part about nottingham is not only the attenuation, but the floculation and hardness of the cake. It drops out and leaves you with a clear beer after two weeks on the cake in 60-63 degress.

Strange, because I never had very good attenuation with this east. Good flavor profile. Yes. Flocculation and quick to start - sure. But not very good attenuation, usually in the range of 70%. For higher attenuation US-05 is the one to go. Is it me only or anybody else sees this trend?

I just used this yeast for the first time I can remember. I wanted to brew EdWort's Haus Ale and he recommends it, as you know. (My LHBS had it in stock for like $1.70)

I believe he recommends no starter, just sprinkle on top and let er go.

I pitched at 75 degrees in a 65 degree room and let cool naturally overnight.

I had activity in 8 hours (maybe sooner, was not watching like a hawk).

woke up to A good steady fermentation and great yeast fart aroma.

I love the smell of yeast farts in the morning, it's the smell of...Victory.

Still maintaining a nice steady fermentation about 44 hours in. I'm guessing it will be done in about 3 days at this rate.

Maintaining a 65-67 degrees range. I got a little worried when I first saw this thread yesterday. I check and saw it was pushing 68 degrees because we had the heat on.

Hey, this is San Diego and we only turn the heat on at night (when it's really cold).

At this rate, this could be my new go to yeast. Especially after LHBS just raised price of safale to $4.95 WTF!

Things had finally calmed down in my batch when I peeked in on it last night. I pulled the blow-off tube and put the stopper and airlock a little while ago. Blow-off tube and bucket are soaking away in Oxyclean right now while I watch some Griswald Christmas on the tv.

Back