Danstar/Lallemand Munich vs Munich Classic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceH

Mostly Retired
Reaction score
Trying to expand my brewing horizons a little, most of what I brew are lagers. I read the manufacturers descriptions and purchased one each. The classic will be used in a weizen beer, not sure what the regular will be used in.

What have your experiences been with these yeasts? Have you ever tried them in a non wheat beer? I'm thinking about trying the regular Munich in something rye based.

I haven't tried them in a wheat beer, but my experience has been that they are very different yeasts. Munich Classic is the dry version of Weihenstephan 68 (WLP300/WY3068) and is known for its banana esters. The standard Munich produces far less esters and flocculates within a few weeks at room temperature to produce a clear beer.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant I hadn't tried either in a non-wheat beer.

Last edited:
The standard Munich produces far less esters and flocculates within a few weeks at room temperature to produce a clear beer.

Using the standard Munich, I've had this experience several times, but it's stayed cloudy in other batches. It seems to me it still has the phenolic flavors, but I like the Classic better for a hefeweizen. I haven't tried either in a non-wheat beer, but I expect it might have some Belgian-like character from the phenols.

Munich is now rebranded as a Wit yeast ( they also state ist's the new version of Munich ): https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/continental-europe/product-details/belgian-wit-style-ale-yeast/

I didn't know the Munich had been renamed as a Wit yeast, but it makes sense. Browsing through the Lallemand website, I see their main page shows the new name (Wit), but there is a link to "Download Munich vs. Munich Classic Description", using the old name. I'm guessing the new packets have the "Wit" name.

I haven't tried the regular Munich, but it does sound like an OK yeast, especially for slightly tart, refreshing, Wheat beers. Maybe this summer...

Just picked up two packets of munuch classic. I've never been able to get the esters I'm after with 3638 or 3068, they were always a disappountment. I'm planning to brew a batch of hefeweizen this Saturday to try this yeast out. After reading that comparison sheet linked above, I'm curious about trying an open ferment. What's to keep mold spores, etc. from landing in the fermenting beer? Or am I missing something?

I've read about some people using aluminum foil in the same way they would with a starter flask.

Jayjay1976 If you keep your fermenter open for the first 2-3 days, nothing will go into the fermenter and spoil the beer. Munich Classic is really fast and it will finish fermenting in 3 days or so. The yeast blasted out of my 30L Speidel fermenter each time I fermented with it, and each time I had around 2 gallons worth of headspace. Crazy yeast! I can also add that I don't like the yeasts' character when the mash pH is under 5.4. I also don't like it when it sits too long in the fermenter. This yeast is made for fast ferment and possibly a longer conditioning either in the bottle or keg.

Last edited:
Just picked up two packets of munuch classic. I've never been able to get the esters I'm after with 3638 or 3068, they were always a disappountment. I'm planning to brew a batch of hefeweizen this Saturday to try this yeast out. After reading that comparison sheet linked above, I'm curious about trying an open ferment. What's to keep mold spores, etc. from landing in the fermenting beer? Or am I missing something?

The open ferment really does make a difference in getting more "expression" out of the yeast.
Unless you have a very clean location with filtered air you could try what I do:
Pitch the yeast and once the krausen is covering the wort, replace the lid of the fermenter with a large plastic bag that is just sealed enough to keep bugs out. Flush the bag out and pull in fresh air occasionally.
After a few days, when the krausen is almost gone then put the lid on till it's ready to package so C02 can build up to protect the beer.
You also want the widest fermenter possible. Food grade plastic bins or a large square fermenter that is only half full.
Ideally you could have the entire fermenter in a sealed bag with a small air filter to maintain fresh bug/dust free air.
Filtered air arriving at the bottom and an exhaust at the top.

I'm keen to try that munich classic as I've never beer that happy with 3068/3638 either.
I'm currently been using my own culture from a bottle of Vitus, but it's starting to change after 12 generations of top cropping
and it's not often I can buy Vitus.

Last edited:
The Classic is my go to for hefeweisen. I tried the wb006 that some kits say to use. Nope, sorry, but just does not have the hefe character.
find the weihenstephaner, in liquid smack pack. i just made my wife her 4th or 5th hef and used it this time instead of my usual safe brew brand . in her words, "this is a damn good hef. its heffier than the others." its legit. nice balance of banana and clove. whipped cream head

Tried Munich Classic on a Dunkelweizen. Pitched at 66, let it rise to 70. Turned out meh. Tasted like a nondescript wheat beer, no esters, nada. Not impressed.

Will try the liquid Weihenstephan next time.

I just pitched Munich Classic a couple days ago at 65'...first time using it. I've used Munich and WB-06 before.

Munich Classic is a monster...pushed out the bucket lid and made a mess in the ferm chamber. Very noticeable banana aromas. The krausen is very "thick".

I probably could have pitched half the packet IMO.

I just pitched Munich Classic a couple days ago at 65'...first time using it. I've used Munich and WB-06 before.

Munich Classic is a monster...pushed out the bucket lid and made a mess in the ferm chamber. Very noticeable banana aromas. The krausen is very "thick".

I probably could have pitched half the packet IMO.
ive used wb-06 too, a few times . it was the yeast included in the hef AG (NB,if you want to know) kit so i used it .grain milled twice, single mash infusion@152, it was good. i think my first couple hefs were a single mash infusion at 152*F then tried 154*F, then i started step mashing. This last one i only milled the grain once, step mashed @122-15min,138-15min,152- 60 mins ,drain to the BK and rinse the grain bed with 170*F , stir and let settle ,drain to Pre-boil volume. Boil 60 mins, Tettnanger 60 min, immersion chilled quickly. made a huge difference in flavors, not as 1 dimensional . Once i got more into details of my brewing , this last hef was really good. banana and clove balanced. Like Brewery quality.

Just pitched some Munich Classic today for a wheat beer, so I can let you know in a week or two!

Pitched a whole packet of Munich classic in a 5.5 gallon batch of 1.05 German Hefe last night...
My "blow off tube" on my 7.5 gallon bucket is a tiny little 5/16" tube jammed into a mason jar (space reasons in deep freezer ferm chamber).
Checking on it frequently to avoid blow off issues!

Back