dank dry hoppy ipa recipe help me please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
I have a close friend who loves dank resinous IPAs

I myself do not. I like the sweeter ones like hopslam.

I was going to brew him a batch 2 gallons using my old mr beer keg as a fermenter. Can you help me with hops and hop schedules in addition to the recipe.

I will be doing a mini BIAB with about 4.4 gallon pre boil volume according to beersmith and guessing for 68ish efficiency. I have a barley crusher and will do a double crush before i mash.

here is what have as a starting point

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 2.25 gal
Boil Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 2.87 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 2.03 gal
Fermentation: My Aging Profile

Equipment: Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.5 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.0 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.3 %
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.4 %
2.1 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.3 %
8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5 8.9 %
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 53.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 11.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 8 4.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.3 %
Bitterness: 69.6 IBUs
Est Color: 10.7 SRM

Measured Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.5 %
Calories: 249.4 kcal/12oz

Mash Name: BIAB, Medium Body

Thanks

First, I'll suggest not using Maris Otter and instead using plain 2 row. Next, I'd say strike the crystal out of there completely. There are people who frown on using it at all, and you have enough for a 5 gallon batch in there... it will end up too sweet, I think, which is what you said you don't want. :)

okay cool.

Yeah I know how much crystal i like in my recipes. Ill leave the carapils for body.
Are my hop choices looking good for what im going for. I dont want nasty beer. I want it to have some good flavor too.
69 ibu sounds kinda high but i dunno

I ran your recipe through beersmith just to get a ballpark idea on OG, IBU, and color. If you lower the Crystal 40 to 2oz, and raise the 2 Row to 4.5#, it looks pretty good, and has an OG of 1.062 at 65% efficiency.

As for the hops, Warrior is a good for the bittering addition. And the other three hop varieties you selected are good for the resinous quality you're looking for. But to get that quality, you probably want a LOT of dry hopping and late boil additions. Warrior will provide the bitterness, and then just use the others to give the beer a deep hop aroma and flavor. The less you boil the hops, the less they isomerize, whihch leads to that resinous quality. At least, that's how I understand it.

Since we're only working with a 2.2 gallon batch, I might suggest the following hop schedule:

0.30oz Warrior, 60 minutes 36.2 IBU
0.25oz Columbus, 10 minutes 10.2 IBU
0.25oz Simcoe, 5 mins 5.2 IBU
0.25oz Chinook, 5 mins 5.2 IBU

Right around 60 IBU which should be plenty with an OG of 1.062

Then for dry hopping, maybe a half ounce or more each of Simcoe and Chinook for 5-7 days.

That should get you where you want to go, but I am sure other hop-heads will chime in with their own advice :)

I love maris otter and my house IPA uses it- I see no reason to leave it out if you Like that flavor. Columbus is the major "dank" hop, so you may want to load up on that, the chinook and simcoe give a more piney, slight citrus flavor that pair well with columbus.

Skip the 15 min addition. Bump up the whirlpool addition. Dry hop with 2 oz or so of typically 'dank' hops (summit, columbus, chinook) and you'll be closer to where you need to be.

I agree with what has been said. I would stick with Warrior for the bittering, and maybe add Apollo if you can. It tends to be on the "dank" side. I am very much like your friend where I prefer the dank, piney type IPA over the Citrusy fruity type.

Heavy on the late/ whirpool of Columbus, Simcoe and Chinook and you will have something that he will probably want more of.

As for the crystal, it probably wont make any difference. It will add a hint of sweetness, but if you want to focus on hops, just leave it out. I just made a heavy IPA here at home and used very little crystal, with the hops listed and it was great. Cheers! Im sure he'll love any beer you make him!

Back