danflatten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danflatten

Reaction score
I racked a golden ale into secondary two days ago. In prior batches (I have made 7), I always got a lot of action through the airlock in the first days of secondary. But this time, very little--virtually none. The color and clarity are good although I had to add 1 1/2 quarts of water to bring it to 5 gallons and the neck of the Corboy. Is the lack of action in the initial secondary stage a sign of a problem?

Did it seem to ferment well in primary? If so, I wouldn't sweat it. Take a gravity reading after it's been in there for about a week.

Sam75 said:
Did it seem to ferment well in primary? If so, I wouldn't sweat it. Take a gravity reading after it's been in there for about a week.

My last batch went from a OG 1060 to a 1020 overnight, so the next day I racked it over to the secondary. I thought I too had a problem but taking a gravity reading will let you know right away if something is wrong. Hopefully in a week or so it will be a 1012 or so and I can bottle it.....

Sam75 said:
Thanks. But that may be another indicator. In the primary, it went from 1.050 to 1.008. I have never had one go below 1.010.

Dark_Ale said:
My last batch went from a OG 1060 to a 1020 overnight, so the next day I racked it over to the secondary. I thought I too had a problem but taking a gravity reading will let you know right away if something is wrong. Hopefully in a week or so it will be a 1012 or so and I can bottle it.....
Thanks. But that may be another indication. In the primary, it went from 1.050 to 1.008. I have never had one go below 1.010 in the primary.

danflatten said:
Thanks. But that may be another indication. In the primary, it went from 1.050 to 1.008. I have never had one go below 1.010 in the primary.

Well there ya go....it fermented like a madman in primary. With an FG that low, I don't think you want to see any action in secondary. :)

I'd give it a week or so in secondary to settle out, then bottle it up!

Back