Danby kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmendo2005

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing what I’m being told is a 3 year old dual tap Danby kegerator. Does anyone have any experience with these or know the general life of one?

Attachments

• 732B328F-8FF8-448C-8BB5-C9CE4573ACF9.jpeg
    732B328F-8FF8-448C-8BB5-C9CE4573ACF9.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 6D1612EC-07B6-4DA7-8FF2-FE0580C4AC93.jpeg
    6D1612EC-07B6-4DA7-8FF2-FE0580C4AC93.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 3FBDE180-09E1-423C-90A6-474D57DE7184.jpeg
    3FBDE180-09E1-423C-90A6-474D57DE7184.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 58
Ive got one just like it only without the display that I bought used and broken 7 years ago... I spent 5 minutes taking the starter disc apart and cleaning the contact surface-reassembled and its been working good as new ever since...

BTW these same units are rebranded and sold under at least a half dozen brand names..

Ive got one just like it only without the display that I bought used and broken 7 years ago... I spent 5 minutes taking the starter disc apart and cleaning the contact surface-reassembled and its been working good as new ever since...

BTW these same units are rebranded and sold under at least a half dozen brand names..

+1. In the last 9 years I've built several: one for my son and two for myself, all two-tower taps. My second build for myself was necessitated when I attempted a modification to widen the opening on the top of my original for a new drain pan. (note: if you hear a hissing sound after drilling with a hole saw, you're gonna' need a new kegerator.)

Inside space is at a premium with two kegs. I have five 2½-3 gallon kegs and a couple 1.75 gallon Torpedo kegs. The smaller Torpedos are conveniently stackable if you want to mix and match on the fly with multiple brews. But usually I have at least one 5 gallon keg in the kegerator in addition to my 6 other 5 gallon kegs, which are either full or partially full in a dedicated upright beer fridge or stored purged and waiting for the next batch.

The half-sized refrigerator itself is quite reliable but does have a few minor annoying features. First, as with most half units, the heat from the coils is displaced through copper lines in the top and sidewalls of the exterior of the fridge rather than through a bottom mounted fan, so the outside of the unit is always warm (note: know EXACTLY where those lines are imbedded BEFORE attempting to drill in the top or the sides. see above.) Second, the unit is a little loud; not terribly so, but kinda'. Probably don't want it right next to your wide screen in the Man Cave. Lastly, if the unit is frost-free (most are not) you'll have to manually defrost 2 or 3 times a year. Not a big deal, but it means taking kegs out of the fridge. Upside, you'll end up cleaning the fridge at least 2-3 times per year. If the unit isn't frost-free, you'll want to disable it or else your beer temperature might vary up into the 40s at random times while the frost melts. Downside, you'll have to manually defrost. Upside, your beer will always be cold, especially on Game Day when the guys are over (sucks when it's not).

The best part of home brewing is always having a great beer on hand, only a tap lever away. Enjoy!

Brooo Brother

These things can run for years or crap out shortly. No way to predict. If it’s running and not too much, buy it. Those kegerators will usually hold 3 cornys. Standard mini fridge will only do 2 kegs. I see no tower so make sure you buy a triple, not a double.

Yep. Usually a $5 buck fix. But do an ohm check on the compressor windings to make sure it’s not shorted. No relay will fix that

Back