Damn my house stinks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyC

Reaction score
I just put my first batch into the fermenter. I did the boil in the kitchen. My whole house smells like a feed store. It really doesn't bother me. I don't have one of those STMBO things, so no big deal. Ten hours in and bubbling well, I assume I didn't screw-up too bad. The bubbles are fun to watch.

lol, dude, if you don't have one of those SWMBO things nobody wants to hear about how much your house smells like beer :D

Spare a thought for those of us who have to get up at 5am and brew outside and then still have to hear about how much we are stinking up the front driveway.

If you are bubbling at ten hours then you are golden. If you brewed a pale ale or something hoppy you are in for a real treat in the morning when you go into the room, I love how the aroma fills the air after that first night fermenting (I ferment in the man cave where the family has no legal rights when it comes to aroma levels).

I must be lucky... brewed a small stove top batch this weekend and asked my wife to watch the pot for a boil over while I ran down to the basement for something. She asked what I was brewing because it smelled good!

I like the smell but no one else in my house does, though most are used to it by now. My daughter claims she's allergic to the odors from my mash.

I call my SWMBO's reaction the "anti-placebo effect." On returning home on one occasion after I had brewed, she unknowingly proclaimed "What did you cook? Smells good."

On finding out that I had brewed she suddenly decided we needed to open the windows since it had mysteriously started to stink.

It's obviously a control issue. She never wants to open windows when she cooks broccoli, cabbage or that kind of stuff.

"Guadd, it smells like a brewery in here!"
"No ****e, I'm brewing....."

Back