Dale's Pale Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anks

Reaction score
Anyone have an extract recipe for a Dale's Pale Ale Clone? I'm new to brewing but my dad is very into it. He said that was his first extract brew and I wanted to try it but he doesn't have the recipe anymore. I can only find an AG recipe but I don't have the setup for that. yet..

What is the recipe? Unless there's specialty grains that require mashing, it's really easy to interchange. Just swap out the base malt with a calculated amount of extract. The quick, dirty ballpark way is to use ~.6 lb light DME or ~.75 lbs light LME per pound of base malt. Keep the specialty grains the same, and steep as usual.

More involved (and accurate) but requires some math:

http://***********/stories/article/indices/50-recipe-calculations/620-extract-to-all-grain-and-back

If you use brewing software, it should be really easy to just swap out the base malt with extract and use the software to figure out the right number.

And if there's specialty grains that need mashing, you could always keep a bit of the base malt in there (and use a little less extract) and do a small partial mash.

Also, if you're also scaling down to a partial boil instead of a full boil, you'll need to up the hops to account for the loss in utilization.

This is the AG recipe that I want to convert into an extract recipe:

Boil Volume 6.5 gallons
Boil Time 60 minutes
Batch Size 5.25 gallons
Yeast US05/ WY1056/WL001 (75% app. attenuation)

Procedure Single infusion mash 1.5 qt per pound, mash @ 152 F 90 minutes
Centennials @ knockout @ 170 for steeping for 35 minutes, then continue to chill down to 65F

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain
7.75 American Two-row Pale (Rarh)
1.50 German Munich Munich Light -American
1.50 American Crystal 30L
.75 American Crystal 20L

Hops
1.00 Northern Brewer Pellet (60)
1.75 Cascade Pellet (25)
1.00 Columbus Pellet (10)
1.00 Centennial Pellet (0)

http://www.mainebrews.com/news/clone-recipes/dales-pale-ale-clone-recipe/