Daisy Cutter Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine over-attenuated down to 1.006. With 65 IBU it was just way too dry and harsh. Waited a month but eventually had to bottle some of is and dump the rest. I have the WORST LUCK with this recipe! :(

Mine over-attenuated down to 1.006. With 65 IBU it was just way too dry and harsh. Waited a month but eventually had to bottle some of is and dump the rest. I have the WORST LUCK with this recipe! :(

Sorry to hear that.

Mine finished somewhere between 1.008 and 1.009 with a calculated 55 IBUs.

One thing I noticed, when I put one in the freezer to get it cold quicker, if it gets really cold (I guess about 40F) the beer tastes bitter and unbalanced. As soon as it warms up to normal beer temperatures (45 -50F) then it tastes much, much better.

At these temperatures you can taste the malt and hop aroma much more which helps balance the bitterness.

Actually next I think I'll try one in the 55 to 60 range to see how the flavor develops. :drunk:

I forgot to provide the update, but I received the score sheets from the Homebrew Competition I entered my Daisy Cutter in:

-Scored 38.
-Won 1st place in the American Pale Ale category.
-Judge #1: "subtle tropical notes, mild fruitiness with a nice balance of bitterness. Bready with a light body. Very drinkable and balance, maybe add just a few more late addition hops but only a little."
-Judge #2: "Heavy bready, pretzel like, crusty, biscuity. Some citrus hops and slight yeastiness. Crusty breadiness aroma returns in full force. Medium bitterness and citrus hop flavor are balancing. Generic yeast fruitiness. Liked the balance of super bready malt and fresh hops. Bitterness may linger a bit too long, but it's not harsh."

So, this was great feedback and a nice result. One note made was that if I used an American Ale yeast strain to try to reduce the temperature. This is accurate: I didn't have great control of the fermentation temps.

Everyone I've given it to loves this beer - I'll absolutely make it again.

Here is the recipe again for anyone who is interested (pictures are available on the original post, post #89):

Grain:
9lb 12oz Two Row
5oz Aromatic
5oz Special Roast
5oz Victory

Hops:
.44oz Warrior (60min)
.44oz Centennial (30min)
.88oz Amarillo (15min)
.88oz Centennial (15min)
1oz Simcoe (Flameout)
.5oz Amarillo (Flameout)
.5oz Centennial (Flameout)
.5oz Columbus (Flameout)

Yeast:
US-05 (I used a yeast starter)

Dry Hop:
.5oz Amarillo (Dry hop 7 days)
.5oz Centennial (Dry hop 7 days)
.5oz Columbus (Dry hop 7 days)
.5oz Simcoe (Dry hop 7 days)

Target OG: 1.047 (I hit 1.050, so my abv is a little higher than the real Daisy Cutter)
Target FG: 1.008
IBUs (calculated by Beersmith): 60
Hi guys
I ajust your receipe on beer Smith I used wyeast 1056 american ale and according whit few friends and myself is better the original
Thanks Harbor town brewing for advice to encreas bittering
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

@HarborTownBrewing

I am trying to adjust your recipe for my system. What is your efficiency?My IBUs and ABV are way off from yours for a 5 gal batch and I’m not sure why.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 23
@loomisman
Sorry for the delay, this is probably way too late but below is a screenshot from my Beersmith profile. From a quick glance it looks about the same as yours. Did you end up brewing this?

1613265610626.png

I need to dig out my old recipe for this and give it another go after 4 years more brewing experience and upgraded equipment.
I had problems with whirlpooling too hot back then and as a result getting some additional bitterness.
I hope this time I will get more aroma and a smoother beer.

Wanted to bring this thread back up. I'll be attemping to brew up a clone this weekend. My wife and I both love Daisy Cutter and the beer has a bit of a sentimental value for us that I won't get into. But really been wanting to get a clone to keep it on tap in my place. Unfortunately my LHBS doesn't carry any Briess grains so gonna try substituting with what he carries. Also I wasn't sure what amounts everyones recipes were for. I do 5.5 into the fermentor and wasn't sure if these recipes account for that so I adjusted. Between the adjustment though and maybe the different grains my software is predicting OG 1.058 and a 5.8%ABV. Higher than the real thing but my grains are mixed in a bag so can't do much about it now. I'll post how it comes out and my recipe if it's worthy. Thanks for all the good info here.

Back