American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished a 10.6% version of this beer. I used gelana, citra and amarillo. Dry hopped with citra and cascade. One of my best beers! Thanks Yooper! OG 1.103 1.022

1400468855492.jpg

10.6% version? whats that mean? you only followed 10.6% of the recipe?

i think its easy to assume i was being sarcastic.

Sarcasm is not easy to detect in text. So, no I don't think it was easy too detect in your post. It could also come across as just bring a jerk. Lots of those on the interwebs.

Yes I don't think your sarcasm was obvious but to be fair I did ask if you were joking, which it seems you were. For future reference sarcasm might be followed by a :p or :D or (sarcasm)

Looking at his starting gravity, I made the assumption he was making a 10.6% ABV version

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes everything was scaled from original recipe. I also made a party-gyle with the extra sugars. Turned into a 3.5% with a bit of dme.

I bottled my 4 gallon batch of this about a week and a half ago. Followed recipe to a t, except I made a mistake and add 10min addition at 15. Also miscalculated my ammount of cascade in my freezer so I dry hopped wih a mix of Amarillo and Calypso so it may turn out to taste much different. Iwas mostly interest in this pale to test the malt bill though so I'll post results in a few days when I crack the firstly bottle.

As usual I hosed my batch too (see my signature) mislabeled my buckets and used 2 row. I am a little upset because I really wanted to taste the malt backing.

I also am out of cascade any suggestions for a dry hop. I have EKG, My Hood, northern brewer, centennial, and el dorado. They are just in the secondary but one I used work horse on and is pretty malty finished at 1.014 and the other I used west coast ale finished at 1.009.

I'm not sure if my the flavors in my beer are off or complex 😳

I would use centennial to replace. Never used el dorado but the others are quite diff. Although I do love northern brewer as a dry. Use it in my Black IPA. Yum

As usual I hosed my batch too (see my signature) mislabeled my buckets and used 2 row. I am a little upset because I really wanted to taste the malt backing.

I also am out of cascade any suggestions for a dry hop. I have EKG, My Hood, northern brewer, centennial, and el dorado. They are just in the secondary but one I used work horse on and is pretty malty finished at 1.014 and the other I used west coast ale finished at 1.009.

I'm not sure if my the flavors in my beer are off or complex 😳

Centennial is a super cascade so you can't really go wrong with that. I've made an all el dorado IPA before and it was awesome. Candy like citrus in the nose which would go well with the cascade that's in the beer.

Just finished my last 22 oz bottle of this ... now 7 months old. Still wonderfully hoppy and malty and delicious! Really would like to brew this again!

Does a 30 min hop addition leave a flavor contribution? And what about 45 min.

I think a 30, maybe 45 will add "some" kind of flavor and depth by layering in hops at different times. But definitely not in the same way that a late addition, hop-burst or dry hop would. At 30+ you're mostly going to get different levels of bitterness extracted from the hops. But I do feel like you will get some flavor and complexity at 30.

Nice color there J1n. Looks tasty.

Tomorrow, I will keg 5 and bottle the other 5 gal . Will be my 5th 11 gal batch. I like it, and everybody else who tastes it, Likes it !

Indeed. I gave a 6 pack to my sister and her roommate is my cousin. My cousin called asking for more last night lol.

Dry hopped after bout 20 d's in primary, gravity was down to 1.012 and likely it's FG. Despite the OG being few points lower than 1st batch, the ABV is same due to dropping few points lower in the end.

Just brewed this up today, per the original recipe. Tasted FANTASTIC into the fermenter. Pitched it with some Wyeast 1056 and a nice big starter. Can't wait to try it!! I'm going to be pitching a Pliny clone onto the yeast cake leftover from this one, which I can't wait for either!

So I haven't even kegged this one one yet, but I'm already thinking about brewing it again...

Anyone do this recipe with Amarillo instead of Cascade? I got in on the buy a pound, get one free deal from Label Peelers.

So I haven't even kegged this one one yet, but I'm already thinking about brewing it again...

Anyone do this recipe with Amarillo instead of Cascade? I got in on the buy a pound, get one free deal from Label Peelers.

I haven't. But I know I would love it. Amarillo is my favorite hop variety, and I think it would be awesome because it would stand up nicely to the malty flavors in this beer.

Excellent! I'll definitely give it a shot.

Where in the UP are you? I'm going to be in Houghton next month.

Yoop - if you're occasionally checking in on this thread - I'm thinking of going with some of the Denny's 50 (left over from your hoppy amber) for this. Any thoughts? I'm guessing it would be a fine option.

I haven't. But I know I would love it. Amarillo is my favorite hop variety, and I think it would be awesome because it would stand up nicely to the malty flavors in this beer.

I made this with all Amarillo hops and loved it. I made a bunch of this and Yooper's hoppy amber. Both beers are great! Friends really like them both. Thanks Yooper!!!

I have to agree with the general sentiment in this thread - this beer is fantastic! Great mix of malty and bitter. Very nice balance. Will rebrew soon with all amarillo.

Just brewed this today as a partal mash BIAB with one can of light LME and ended up with much better efficiency then I expected. I expected 70% in my brewing software and ended up somewhere near 83% with OG 1.062. I hope it doesn't end up too strong.

Also dropped the cap from the yeast starter into the fermenter. Oops haha. See that thing again in a couple weeks!

Did this one as a partial mash. Tasted after one week in the bottle, tastes great!! Cheers Yooper!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405833870.225966.jpg

Just had a bottle after only four days and our tasted good bit had a bit of a funky smell I haven't experienced before. Not necessarily bad but a bit weird. Kind of slightly skunky like fresh marijuana. Could it just be because it is still fermenting in the bottle or does this mean I have a contaminated batch? Did anyone experience this with this beer?
I used fourth generation US05 but I am a sticker with sanitation and wash my yeast and make starters.

Just had a bottle after only four days and our tasted good bit had a bit of a funky smell I haven't experienced before. Not necessarily bad but a bit weird. Kind of slightly skunky like fresh marijuana. Could it just be because it is still fermenting in the bottle or does this mean I have a contaminated batch? Did anyone experience this with this beer?
I used fourth generation US05 but I am a sticker with sanitation and wash my yeast and make starters.

probably the hops if it smells like cannabis unless your beer has been in the sunlight

I had an interesting brew day today with this recipe! After several "perfect" brew days, here's what happened today:

-fired up for mash out and somehow went from 155 to darn near boil in a few minutes! (I swear I walked away for 2 minutes) after some quick googling, no issue. Burner is more powerful than I thought.

-then, I tried doing my first primary in a better bottle carboy instead of a bucket. Long story short, my shoes and feet are a little sticky!

-brew day took longer than expected, so I guess I am going to try a semi no chill method....chilled to 100 then put in the ferm chamber to pitch later, which wasn't planned.

-somehow in all that, I hit 75% efficiency on a planned 65%!

Looking forward to trying this one and for smoother brew days!!

When I downloaded Yooper's .bsm file and converted it to extract using my Beersmith equipment profile (9 gallon pot, full boil), here's what I got:

Steeping Grains:
5.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 1 3.5 %
5.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.5 %

Boil:
7 lbs 12.9 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 3 83.0 %
15.2 oz Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 4 10.1 %
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 23.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [8.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 13.4 IBUs
0.95 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 6.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 1.8 IBUs

Flame-out:
0.48 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Yeast:
1.0 pkg Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 11 -

Dry Hop:
0.95 oz Cascade [8.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Now for a couple questions:

#1 - I have homegrown Cascade hops I will be using with this recipe. Are the given amounts from the original recipe based on using whole, dried hop cones? If not, how would you recommend converting Yooper's recipe to dried hop cones? As Yooper does, I will use commercial hop pellets for the 60 and 30 minute additions.

#2 - I see that MoreBeer is having a 20%-off sale on Maris Otter malt extract (Use coupon code FRESHMARIS20 here). Based on the recipe Beersmith gave me, would you recommend using the Maris Otter extract in the link as the "7 lbs 12.9 oz - Pale Liquid Extract"? I see in the product description that the Maris Otter extract is 4-5 SRM, while the converted recipe calls for 8 SRM (pale) and 12.5 SRM (amber) extract. Do you think there is a better extract to use to better match Yooper's original recipe?

#3 - What would you recommend using for the "15.2 oz - Amber Liquid Extract"? Could I just up the Maris Otter extract a pound, or is the "amber" aspect of this important?

#4 - Should the dry hops be homegrown or commercial pellets?

That's all for now.... Thanks!

Ok, I know I threw a lot at you in the last post, but could someone please chime in ASAP on the extract question I had? Would the Maris Otter liquid malt extract work well for this recipe? If so, I'd like to snag it before the sale ends. Thanks!

I am not sure if anyone else has noticed this. But this recipe had the best head of anything I have brewed. I am not sure what it is that contributed but I am getting a rich head that lasts for the entire time. My last swallow is a mouthful of foam from the bottom of the glass. I followed the recipe as written other than using chinook and Brambling Cross hops (I like dank rather than citrus.)

I am not sure if anyone else has noticed this. But this recipe had the best head of anything I have brewed. I am not sure what it is that contributed but I am getting a rich head that lasts for the entire time. My last swallow is a mouthful of foam from the bottom of the glass. I followed the recipe as written other than using chinook and Brambling Cross hops (I like dank rather than citrus.)

Couldn't read this without laughing a bit but agreed, this recipe gives great head!

Back